What does Pro Tools software see in the 002r?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

What does Pro Tools software see in the 002r?

Post by earth tones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:30 pm

What is it that Pro Tools software is actually detecting deep within the 002r, that enables the app to open and function? Is this essentially the same concept as a small USB dongle? If it is, would that be some sort of software written to a ROM chip or something? I am wondering why a standard USB-dongle-sized device cannot be manufactured or DIY'd for editing and Pro Tools use when away from the studio.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:54 pm

I hear you and have wondered the same. I'm not sure how feasable a diy version would be because you'd have to convince protools to not only start up but also use your built in sound card.

I sent a feature request to digidesign asking them to make a removable dongle on the 003 or whatever. I think I actually suggested making the headphone output removable. on the inside of the headphone output would be a usb connector that you could plug into your laptop when roaming. on the little dongle/headphone jack would be whatever key it needs to run the software, rendering the 003 useless without it.

please suggest the same or your own idea at the site. it's hard to imagine a feature that would make me ditch the 002 for an 003 until they cut us off from updates. this feature would probably make me do it. I imagine I'm not alone and if they realize it, maybe they'd actually implement it.

Will

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:57 pm

I went to look for the form...a hundred years later...

http://archive.digidesign.com/support/forms/feature/

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:01 pm

Good link. I wonder what it takes to generate serious consideration on Digidesign's part. I am sure many users would be more than interested in requesting the same. I frequent the digidesign site often, mainly for the discussions, but have never come across the link you posted. We should generate a petition-like post, informing digidesign users across many boards, in order to produce a louder collective voice, within a brief timespan. I am sure there are as many people that do not see this feature as being necessary, but I would be very satisfied with it.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:24 pm

They would probably point to this as your solution even though you would still have to buy M-Powered:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 pm

cetanorak wrote:Good link. I wonder what it takes to generate serious consideration on Digidesign's part. I am sure many users would be more than interested in requesting the same. I frequent the digidesign site often, mainly for the discussions, but have never come across the link you posted. We should generate a petition-like post, informing digidesign users across many boards, in order to produce a louder collective voice, within a brief timespan. I am sure there are as many people that do not see this feature as being necessary, but I would be very satisfied with it.
Good luck with that, people have been requesting a "hardware-dongle-less" version of ProTools for years to no avail. Digidesign is primarily a hardware company, as that's where they make most of their money, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:25 pm

sonik, the point of my suggestion was that it would still require a dongle.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:15 am

syrupcore wrote:sonik, the point of my suggestion was that it would still require a dongle.
yea I know, but the point of mine is that they make their money on hardware so a tiny USB device that acts as only a dongle is unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see this as much as anybody, but people have been asking fo it for years and Digi is yet to respond.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:19 am

Besides of which, with a piece of hardware to reverse-engineer, it'd be about a month before pirate dongles would be floating around ebay.

audio[LAB]
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by audio[LAB] » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 am

I like the original question.....if we could figure out exactly what PT reads than someone could break down like an mbox and make something far more portable with just the headphone jack, cutting out everything else.....I would certainly try if I knew it would work.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:38 pm

audio[LAB] wrote:I like the original question.....if we could figure out exactly what PT reads than someone could break down like an mbox and make something far more portable with just the headphone jack, cutting out everything else.....I would certainly try if I knew it would work.
if it were that easy it would have been done a long time ago. :wink: