My stuff, my wishlist, your choices. Whats my next purchase?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:16 pm

I'd probably get some functional pre's, like a mackie Onyx, a focusrite octopre, or something like that for around 800 or so. I doubt any of those pre's (the 12ah7, the ARt, sytek) are going to sound that much better, plus if you can get around 8 pres for about 100 dollars a piece. If you need "tube" warmth just get a vintage warmer or a sans amp. When you get some real money, then maybe get a real tube pre. For mics, I'd be looking at maybe a shure sm81, and maybe a pair of those Audio Technica condensers that everybody likes, or possibly some Rode condensers.

rob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rob » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:54 am

i'd say if learning how to play drums is a huge priority, by all means get and electronic set. if, however, you believe that an electronic set will help you to emulate an acoustic set, i think you would be better off using samples. I'M TALKING BANG FOR THE BUCK HERE. i believe that it's somewhat of a specific talent to get a live acoustic sound from an electronic set. if you have alot of good drummers coming by to record, then this could be cool. if it's just you trying to learn, you may have to do alot of 'editing by hand' anyway.
as previouly stated, the type of music you intend to record is a huge factor.

as far as other gear? since you have had experience with pro gear, i would try to stay as pro as possible. these items tend to hold their value as well. when you start talking about thousands of dollars, i believe resale value becomes very important .
for $2000, maybe something like a TLM 103 and a reputable $1000 mic pre.
sorry to be so vague, but it's too early in the moring to get into a subjective argument about mic pres in that price range. i just believe that these items with the gear that you already have will give you lots of options.
cheers

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 am

yeah I agree, I look at buying professional/vintage equipment as like owning a home, and buying cheap or 'prosumer' equipment is like renting.

Sure it's a lil cheaper in the short term but you end up losing your shirt in the long run. Cheap gear is like throwing money down the shitter.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 am

brad347 wrote:yeah I agree, I look at buying professional/vintage equipment as like owning a home, and buying cheap or 'prosumer' equipment is like renting.

Sure it's a lil cheaper in the short term but you end up losing your shirt in the long run. Cheap gear is like throwing money down the shitter.
Could I get this printed out on nice official looking letterhead to show my girlfriend?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:08 am

ckeene wrote:
brad347 wrote:yeah I agree, I look at buying professional/vintage equipment as like owning a home, and buying cheap or 'prosumer' equipment is like renting.

Could I get this printed out on nice official looking letterhead to show my girlfriend?
Feel free, you can even attribute it but i'm nobody so that won't matter. Maybe you can tell her George Martin said it :D

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:03 pm

brad347 wrote:
ckeene wrote:

Feel free, you can even attribute it but i'm nobody so that won't matter. Maybe you can tell her George Martin said it :D
*tries to imagine George Martin referring to "the shitter"*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:48 pm

change it to "the loo" :wink: