How did you name your studio/recording business?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jzahos
gettin' sounds

How did you name your studio/recording business?

Post by jzahos » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:01 am

Hi all,

'We' (for lack of an actual name) are trying to decide on a name for our location recording service. As of now, we've just done word-of-mouth among those we know, but now we're working on flyers, a website, etc. Just curious how others arrived at their business's name.

Jeff Z.
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
www.jeffzahos.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 am

Toxic Bag Productions was named for a hazmat bag filled with asbestos that lived in my basement for a few months around the time we started the company.

It was funny at the time. I'll really be laffing it up in twenty years when I can't breathe for the perforated lungs.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:27 am

This isn't exactly what was said, but as close as my memory will allow:

me (after listening to a take): Hey, that's a step up from lo-fi!

singer: It's as good as anything we did at _____'s studio

me: Well, it's done with some pretty cheap stuff.

drummer: Then it's Faux-Fi.

And that's what I named the studio, Faux-Fi.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 am

Mine (personal home studio): The Frozen Studio. Named when I was living in N.H., during a particularly freezing day outside.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 am

Randy wrote:This isn't exactly what was said, but as close as my memory will allow:

me (after listening to a take): Hey, that's a step up from lo-fi!

singer: It's as good as anything we did at _____'s studio

me: Well, it's done with some pretty cheap stuff.

drummer: Then it's Faux-Fi.

And that's what I named the studio, Faux-Fi.
I like that.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:49 am

did you surf in new hampshire? im originally from exeter and i surfed the wall/rye/york all throughout highschool.

the milkhouse was named after the original location, which was some sort of former cow home??

i dont know, i never stepped foot in there. my recording partner has kept the name going through three different locations, and now in boston.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 am

Mine, which I am currently moving out of, is called SkyCave. It was originally in the attic of the house that I've been at for 3.5 yrs. The attic is in the shape of an L with A-Frame walls, divided into 3 rooms. I live in the 2nd floor apt, and the door to the attic is in my bedroom. After the 1st summer there (120F in the attic!), I moved all of my gear into my bedroom and use the attic to reamp guitar amps, connecting my Mac to it via a snake.. In the fall and spring I can use it for vocals, as it's not as hot and is surprisingly very quiet.

But not any more.

I'm moving out in three weeks and still don't have a place. Last week my boss told me that I can use the office after hours for recording (how's that for good news during my first week on the job!), so that's cool. Can't wait to find a new place, though. My gear is going to be stored between my folks' place and my friend's place, leaving me with my Powerbook and a small rack that I'm carrying with me everywhere.

Jeff

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 am

shaneoconnor wrote:did you surf in new hampshire? im originally from exeter and i surfed the wall/rye/york all throughout highschool.
Yeah man, not bad spots there. I grew up in Va. Beach, and I think that N.H. gets much better when it's on. Just gotta make sure you're wearing some thick rubber when you're out, right?

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 am

"Casa del Gato Negro" I'm a blues player.....got a black cat bone in my mojo bag. It seemed like the only choice!

Lee/bluesman
Black Cat Records
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 am

I was looking for domain names a few years ago and fell across twinreverb.com for sale. I was just looking up the names of my amps. I bought the name. . .and when it came time for the studio. . .well. . .Twin Reverb Sound sounded good enough. LOL
HWJLHC?

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:12 pm

im russian

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:37 pm

I rent a cemetary caretakers' house which is about 150, maybe 200 years old. A large parlor was added on about 100 years ago with a separate porch, entrance from the street and a beautiful stained glass window. We believe this parlor was used for a number of years for small family viewings and it's easy to sit in the room and imagine where they'd show the body, etc.

I have been haunted once or twice early on, but the "neighbors" seem to like the vibrations...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Dude, you worked with Milla Jovovich? Awesome.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Clava Studio came from the names of the first born children of the two guys who started it. CL(ara) + AVA = Clava

4 Deuces Recording is a bit longer of a story. Our office space used to be a speakeasy, then a jazz bar named Three Deuces, probabbly after the Harlem club of the same name, since we're very near what used to be center of African-American night life in Chicago (Bronzeville). There were 4 of us involved in the studio and label so 4 Deuces seemed logical. The 4 lowest cards in the deck, that's us....
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:23 pm

djimbe wrote:4 Deuces Recording is a bit longer of a story. Our office space used to be a speakeasy, then a jazz bar named Three Deuces, probabbly after the Harlem club of the same name, since we're very near what used to be center of African-American night life in Chicago (Bronzeville). There were 4 of us involved in the studio and label so 4 Deuces seemed logical. The 4 lowest cards in the deck, that's us....
jim - i thought it was after an old brothel on s. wabash! also http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id37.htm so chicago! so south side!

i'm calling my new place inspector studios cuz that's the name my girlfriend coined for me over the last few years as i'd go upstairs pacing about forumating plans. i've become known as "the inspector" to her and her friends. she'd just start saying "i can't wait for you to finish inspector studios, it's going to be great..." and i'm too lazy to think of anything else.