Speaker level through 1/4th Patch Bay

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryangeller
ass engineer

Speaker level through 1/4th Patch Bay

Post by ryangeller » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:03 pm

Hey,

I just got myself another head and have a question about interfacing.

I'm using a Palmer ADIG PGA04 as a loadbox and speaker simulator. I now have a mesa single rectifier and a mesa nomad 55 (along w/ a fender deluxe reverb, but that isnt getting connected to the ADIG). I'd like a way to be able to switch sources for the ADIG so I don't have to pull my racks apart each time I want to play or record w/ a different amp. I may also be adding a 1x12 cab to my rig soon so that should be taken into consideration. My thought is to use some open slots on my neutrik 1/4th in patchbay and run some speaker cables to each amp and the ADIG and solder myself a short speaker cable as a patchcable.

I know that I should not have the amps on if no load is connected, and I will be careful with that. I also know that it'd be horrible for me to say patch the output of my rectifier into the input of my manley pre accidentally, but I will be careful w/ that as well.

What's the best, cheapest way to do what I want? I can solder.

Thanks, Ryan

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:29 pm

anyone?

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:30 pm

the cards in those neutriks are pretty cheap. why not just give it a go and see if it explodes?

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 pm

i'm not really worried about any explosions... more concerned w/ any impedence or capacitance issues especially w/ frequency loss @ the upper or lower extremes. obviously i'm looking to spend as little $ as possible. if that was not an issue i'd just go get another ADIG... but i'd like to develop some kind of switching system since i wont be using both amps at the same time.

--ryan

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:03 am

What about those A/B guitar pedals?

ryangeller
ass engineer

Post by ryangeller » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 am

yea that'd essentially be the same thing. i'm just sorry about weird impedence stuff and loading. also running speaker level signal though those components which are intended for hi z instr level...

what do people do when they have 5 guitar heads in the control room and a cab in an iso room or live room? how do people interface this?.. i'm essentially looking to do the same thing w/out pulling my racks apart each time i want to change amps.

thanks,
ryan

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 am

A couple of sites to check out:

http://www.tonebone.com/ - look at the amp switchers
http://www.lehle.com/ other high end switchers

I'd worry less about the patchbay, and worry more about your amp transformer(s). If you use an instrument cable between your amp head and speaker (instead of a bonafide speaker cable), the transformer fries, not the cable. If the patchbay has similar characteristics (since it's designed for line level and not speaker level), probably similar results?

But if you're feeling lucky and flush with cash, why not experiment?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:02 am

Then again, you can ask kmozart how the amp heads are rigged here:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... &start=135

kmozart
audio school

Post by kmozart » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 pm

kayagum wrote:Then again, you can ask kmozart how the amp heads are rigged here:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... &start=135
Hi Guys,
I don't have the heads interfaced yet; still carefully searching for "the best' head interfacing, and so far I found this one to be "it":
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/amp_selectors.htm
Also, as I remember there was a tread on gearslutz where Michael Wagener of Wireworld studio had a picture of his heads and head selector designed from the same guy above. I'll post link to the tread if I find it again. Gearslutz is down now... I sent couple of the emails Bob from Custom Audio, did not get response back so far; so I guess I have to call him.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:15 am

The Real MC wrote:What about those A/B guitar pedals?
Would not be good if it's an active A/B box! Kablooey!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 am

I have three heads and two combos racked up and patched into a plain 1/4 patch bay, on the other side I have them patched to various cabs. All using speaker cables and I am very careful not to turn the amps on without a load. I have noticed zero problems with this set up.

I don't see it as being any different than plugging them into a wall panel or a snake or a cabinet
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com