What does every producer want artist to be familiar with?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

johngalt
audio school

What does every producer want artist to be familiar with?

Post by johngalt » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Title sums it up. I'll be recording in a real studio at the end of the year and would like to be prepared. What does every producer want an artist to be familiar with before recording begins? Also if anyone can point me to certain links to learn these topics I'd be grateful. Sorry if this has been done before, I couldn't find it if it has.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:52 pm

you're the artist?

be familiar with the songs you're going to record. that's it.

johngalt
audio school

Post by johngalt » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:you're the artist?

be familiar with the songs you're going to record. that's it.
Yes. Anything else that the producer would like me to know?

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:37 pm

when we to a real studio a couple months ago, the producer kept saying "don't make noise after the take until the room dies out to silence." apparently many takes get ruined by someone going, "well that one SUCKED" as the last chord is ringing out when the take was actually awesome.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:55 am

If I was producing, I'd like to make sure that everyone (not just you) involved in the project knows who the leader of the effort is. That could be you, or the Producer, or the person bankrolling the session...doesn't matter really. There's gotta be someone though, and it needs to be discussed up front. Who calls the shots re: good takes, need to overdub, which tracks get left on the floor during mix, etc.

If you are not the designated leader of the recording effort, then you need to know how to take direction and you need to know your boundries so you don't compromise the efforts of those you are paying to provide you with a great recording. That statement sounds cruel maybe, but when you hire a professional to do a job, you need to know how to LET them do their job...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

jhg
audio school graduate

Post by jhg » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:06 pm

Have song tempos solid, know the material, the afforementioned leader issue(I recently had a band in the studio where a member who had *been* in a studio before and decided they were an expert, wasted bands time and money) Don't ignore things like new drum heads and tune them up of not using house kit. Oil them pedals. Fresh, broken in/staying in tune strings, the art of tuning itself.

Listen to suggestions of the producer and at least try to act on them, as assholish a statement as this is; it may or may not be a great idea, but it comes from someone trying to enhance what is being tracked.

Regards,

jhg

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Have your instruments in good working condition. Guitars set-up, intonated and re-strung.

Honestly, if the equipment maintenance thing can be addressed, then the first day of tracking can really be quite painless.

I would also advise bringing all equipment possible to the studio that you have or might want to use. Good records are almost always about having options to find the 'right' sound.

Don't be married to the existing parts. Be able to play them well, but expect to be asked to play a lot more or write alot on the spot- perhaps even in a style that you didn't expect to have to play. Practicing and becoming diverse with your instrument is important.

BE OPEN MINDED.
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm

Get a good night's sleep beforehand.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Definately what everyone else said and I'll add this....Save the drinking and drugging for the wrap party and HAVE FUN! You're making a record for god's sake. Enjoy the process. It's awesome.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 am

This might sound new-agey, but obviously this will be a new experience for you. I imagine that you will have some anxiety (at least a little). It's very common for people to get nervous for their first studio experience... some get nervous for ANY studio experience. The main thing is, don't let your mind question your ability. This is at the root of all fear and nervousness. As human beings, we can do ANYTHING if we don't question our ability to do so/let our mind get in the way. And anything we can do, we can do perfectly at ANY TIME, the only thing that stands in the way is anxiety. Ever seen anyone misuse a fork? When was the last time you missed your mouth with a fork?

If you have problems with nervousness at all, just keep reassuring yourself of your ability and maybe meditate if you do that sort of thing.

God I feel like a total hippie now...

On the less metaphysical tip, sometimes it helps to sit down with a metronome and figure out tempos beforehand. You don't have to box yourself in, just ballpark-it. On the first tune or two especially, you might have the engineer dial up a click for your pre-decided tempo for that tune. Not to use for recording... just to have on for a few seconds to remind you of your tempo. You might be surprised that it seems faster or slower than what you would've counted off today! Often with the excitement of the first studio experience people tend to push tempos quite fast, or over-compensate by nudging them down too slow. You get the tapes back and are like "damn" haha. Good luck

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 am

i've got to get a handle on this dining anxiety! *removes fork from cheek*
;)

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

Post by shakestheclown » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 am

A copius amount of patience goes a long way. Waiting for the guitarist to finish his millionth solo overdub or vocalist to finally catch that high note can be frustrating.

Take some headace medicine too. Maybe even earplugs. Oh and don't forget to eat.

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 am

Do your best to not be disrespectful or offensive. The people you are working with may not share your same sense of humor.

Keep the chatter down in the control room while work is being done. Take it to the lounge or outside.

Be aware of all the very expensive equipment around you.

I've learned all these things in sessions by being on both sides of it.

Good nights sleep is great advice. Keep it up throughout...you'll be tempted to go out, but that next day starts early.

Rock hard...or at least the appropriate amount. Have fun for sure.