Epiphone Valve Junior

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

Epiphone Valve Junior

Post by maxadocious » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 am

I've been reading a lot of message board postings and the Harmony Central reviews of this new Epiphone Valve Junior amp head. 5 Watts; no tone controls. But I don't know to trust these reports... it might just be moles right?
I was wondering if anybody on tape op has tried this out or has any bits of information that might help a noob like me to the world of tubes.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:51 am

If its moles, then they have infiltrated TOMB. Do a quick search and you'll find several discussion of these amps. Generally the comments are quite positive, but some of the first version are a bit noisy.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:12 am

I just got one and I love it. Sounds like crap when using a crappy sounding guitar, but is blissful with a great guitar. Got it for my kids to play around with as they start their first bands.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:45 am

I own the head and the combo.
The combo was one of the older versions and it was noisey. I still cannot beleive it but Gibson is actually exchanging the noisey one for a newer model for me. should arrive any day now. if you buy the combo , make sure you do some research and find out what the new model serial numbers are....I wanna say they start with 1205.... or something but I cannot remember for certain. Its on this forum tho somewhere.

The head is great, no noise problems at all.
I think these amps are a tremendous bargain, but I do think some of the reviews that say "tone to the bone", "most amazing tone ever" etc are a bit exaggerated.

they are too quiet to gig witha drummer, and are too loud when cranked to not disturb your neighbor...haven' t recorded with one yet. hope that helps some.
me make purty musick!

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:10 pm

I have one of the older noisy ones - really damn noisy in fact, and I love it anyway. Everybody who buys these seems obligated to swap out the tubes and speaker, but I think it sounds good right out the carton. The stock sovteks are a little fatter and less bright when it's wide open, which is the only reason to have a low wattagw tube amp - to run it full bore. This thing will not "shimmer" with any tube in it, and it's a dark, boxy, mid-rangey speaker-in-agony type of tone, and then the high end shows up with the saturation. Pretty cool for the cash; definitely a distinctive color to add to the palate.
*insert pricey DAW specs here

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

jr

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:56 pm

i got the combo. i took it out the box, plugged my guild s-100 into it, and cranked it. i really loved the sound. cool on bass, too! then i threw a mullard into it. totally rockin!

it's a bit 'buzzy'. i read once that the input is not grounded and could be easily modified. i havnt explored that yet but i havnt been too irritated by the buzz. easily, the best $100 you can spend on amplification!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:57 pm

the original VJ combo is the one with the problems, but they've fixed it on the heads and the more recent production of combos.

i have the valve junior head (through a sealed 2x12" cab).

i love it and it's one of my main guitar amps for recording now.

as someone else on here has said, it loves pedals.

but it's also nice just guitar->cable->amp.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:54 am

its definitely not a bad amp for the price considering all the junk they sell now..I just A/Bed a combo with a fender twin and a bunch of other classic amps..I found it to be dark and undetailed in comparison..a better speaker migt get it to sound more sweet..