New Intern Wisdom

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

New Intern Wisdom

Post by Kelly » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:20 am

I've seen a lot of intern tips before, but I dont remember ever seeing this one being covered... so I thought I'd share it.

I've been working at a studio as an intern, about 12 (+- a few hours) a day, for 1.5-2 weeks (With a day off rate equal to 1 a week), with no breaks - though I took one today. Generally, this is a good assest to the studio (IMO). I got asked this weekend to assist on a session, which I did.

The best tip I can give at this point is to take a break when you need one. The session went for three days, and except for me forgetting that we scrapped one of the scratch track's mics for a DI, it went pretty good for a first time.

Well, toward the end of the last day I went into drone mode, and could tell I needed a break. I stepped out of the control room, but kept returning because:

1: I felt like I should be on hand at all times

2: I didnt want to miss anything the engineer was doing, and how he was doing it.

You know when you're on a long car trip, and you get to the point that no matter how hard you try, your eye's wont focus on the road? That happend with my brain. I'm talking total meltdown of the cranium.

The engineer asked me to plug an extension cord back into the band's portable rack they brought into the control room (A task I did earlier). I was so messed up, that not only could I not find the plug for the rack (thinking the plug was rack mounted, instead of it being a cable I was extending), I was trying to put the power cable on the rack backwards... so even if I did, in some ungodly way find where to plug the cable into the rack, there was no way to plug it into the wall - I had the prongs on the wrong end! All I could think of the whole time was, "Gotta find the holes! I'm looking like an idiot! Where are the damn holes?!".

The engineer had to explain to me how to hook up the freakin power cable! He knew I was completely out of it at this point too... "The long hours getting to you Kelly?". The best response I could give at this point was "Yeah".

I hung out for a few more minutes feeling like a total fool (The whole band was there too), then decided I need to get the hell out because I'm no longer an asset. So I took a break then.

So here's my tip:

If at all possible, when you start to feel like you're spacing out, do anything you can to get your brain back on track before it's too late. If it's ok, leave when it's convienent for yourself and who ever might need you.... close your eyes, work on another task, make yourself some coffee, go to a fast but relaxing food place (Like Denny's), what ever it takes.

There's only so long you can stand there looking at Protools or the Console while waiting for a task. Once your brain starts glazing over, it's only matter of time before you screw up the simplest of requests.

That's the biggest mistake I've made so far. The engineer thanked me for the help at the end of the night, so I think I did OK, but I know he remembers the whole incident... I *really* wish I didnt do that! I hope he'll ask me to complete the session with him next week.

If I ever make it as an engineer, and have an intern under me, I'm going to tell him/her "You cant be alert without staying alert", and then this experience.

So that's it I guess...

BTW, I havent slept yet since this session... please excuse typos and weird stuff in the post.

Night.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Stay with it, focus and be there. If you're not there YOU ARE EXPENDABLE and not serious about this is a future. 110% of interning is 'not about you' but the studio providing a service to the clients. Know why you are there. Was the coffee fresh? Did you run for smokes? Can you make a latte'? Did you keep the trash can empty? Did you assist the assistant engineer?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:07 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Can you make a latte'?
Fuck it, I'll never get an internship anywhere.

bewarethanatos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bewarethanatos » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:44 pm

mjau wrote:
@?,*ƒƒƒ&™ wrote:Can you make a latte'?
I should quit my engineering job and go back to interning because I can't make one either.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 pm

I remember one time trying to write a note to someone and I couldn't remember how to spell "of." Is it "uv"? "off"? "auf"? Then I realized it was Saturday at 10:30 pm and I hadn't had a day off in 3 or 4 weeks. I took Sunday off.

Everyone gets there. As long as you didn't melt the console or erase the last 12 hours work, you should be good. And if your bosses aren't okay with that, maybe they aren't so good.

Building stamina takes time. If you have only been at it for a couple weeks, I'd say you're doing fine.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:45 pm

bewarethanatos wrote:
mjau wrote:
I should quit my engineering job and go back to interning because I can't make one either.
I mentioned that kind of thing because you can leave an indelible impression if you are good at one thing which can become an asset to the client and lend a 'vibe' to a session. You become the dog that can catch the frisbee and that's cool. It's sort of like knowing where the best mexican food is at-in L.A. for example, always Poquito Mas. Know where their 6 locations are.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 pm

I will say that Kelly's obversation makes sense not just for interns, but for everyone involved in the recording session (main engineer especially). I've noticed that when I get tired, hungry, or both my attention to detail goes out the window. I start letting sub par sounds pass for ok. I start letting sub par performance pass for ok. It's not good and it hurts the project and potentially your rep. So when you're feeling it, take that break. If the other folks want to keep working, they can probably manage to be productive without you for a little bit.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:53 pm

bewarethanatos wrote:
mjau wrote:
lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black.

so kelly did you get to go back and assist on the rest of the session?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:16 pm

My question is:

Is the trash can half empty? Or half full?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Space Echo:

Yes I did. The rest of the sessions (They have mixing and a small amount of tracking left) went well. I think I've been working on most of the engineer's projects lately, atleast 50%. Technically, I dont think we have an assistant position, but I've been basically making myself one. I'm trying not to be an intern that just sits in. I think I'm learning a lot fast because of it too.

I havent had the kind of mental collapse I had since then.... I've also discovered the power of coffee :)

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:59 pm

Something I found that works for both ends is to get ahold of the manuals and start reading them when the engineer is just chugging along, hitting record/play for a while. First off, it will help make you a bit more familiar with the gear in the studio and convey that you are serious about your work. On top of that, it may help keep you from zoning out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:56 am

I was once assisting on a session and found the engineer nodding off. We were still working while the artist was out picking up lunch. I was trying to figure out what to do to get the guy jolted awake again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:23 am

He thinks, "Cue up When the Levee Breaks?"
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:36 am

Kelly wrote: I've also discovered the power of coffee :)
good man. the thought of making records without it is...uh...unthinkable.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:38 am

cgarges wrote:I was once assisting on a session and found the engineer nodding off. We were still working while the artist was out picking up lunch. I was trying to figure out what to do to get the guy jolted awake again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yes, for me, there was Dan Hill singing into the Telefunken U-47 and I'm watching the engineer nod off!! Hilarious. Not much to do as an assistant in that case- just nudge the guy when the artist is at the end of a 'take'. lol