a PC for a Mac guy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 pm

housepig wrote:... until they don't. I remember seeing all the "switch" ads saying "Macs never freeze or crash", and thinking bitterly about the hour I spent trying to open up a document on our new G5, which froze and needed a hard reboot every time.
I'm always rolling on the floor when I hear the 'tadaa' mac boot sound. Why? Because for every time I've heard it when a mac was being booted up, I've heard it five times in a row while a mac was being re-booted up, along with swearing. It's so delightfully triumphant.

Tadaa!!>grumble<Tadaa!!!>grumble<Tadaa!!!>yelling, swearing<Tadaaa!!

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:36 pm

:lol: good stuff! Okay guys...I really (really) appreciate the feedback.
IDE drives: check. Celeron bad: got it. Shareware: Cool! Convolution: Very cool! Emachines: Great Tip! If not for a bad fuel pump on my non-Intel Dodge Grand Caravan, I'd order one today. Fxteleport: Way cool. Wipe drive, clean install: I'll do 'er. Thank you, thank you.
Now, would someone pleeeze check out that link and tell me what you think? I'm just nervous I'm forgetting some critical component. I called eMachine customer service, and they're going to send me a list of specs; they did confirm that there are Firewire ports. Here, I'll make it easier for ya:

CPU: AMD Athlon? 64 3800+ processor with AMD 64 Technology
(2.40GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache) Operating System: Genuine Microsoft? Windows? XP Media Center Edition 20051 Chipset: NVIDIA? GeForce? 6100 Memory: 1024MB dual-channel DDR (2 ? 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Expandable to 4GB Hard Drive: 250GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)2 Optical Drive: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD?RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD?R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM Media Reader: 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager? (Memory Stick?, Memory Stick Pro?, MultiMediaCard?, Secure Digital?, CompactFlash?, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card?, USB 2.0) Video: NVIDIA? GeForce? 6100 integrated graphics solution
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port) Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port) Peripherals: Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers (USB powered) Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 (1 in Digital Media Manager?, 4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
$539 clams. After 50 clam rebate.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:55 pm

1. I don't see how many expansion slots it has. This is important if this machine ever gets used for something else. I was also concerned that the motherboard in general is a mystery - they only mention the chipset. This would be fine if I had trust in emachines, as I do in other companies, such as apple and dell, but emachines is a much lower end brand - focused on consumers rather than performance users or businesses. To be frank, and it's been a long time, so I didn't say anything until now, but I've never used an emachine that wasn't as cheaply built a POS as possible. However, there have been others here who have had better experiences, and it has been a few years.

2. Have you checked out the Dell thread about the SC400 server here? - I bought two, relatively stripped down boxes for about the same price as this one - they are my main machines still. If you are checking out Dell's stuff, I would recomend going to the 'small business' section instead of the 'home' section. They don't include all the cheap 'kewl' crap that you don't need in the unit, and which ultimately will add to the 'click and pop' factor that your friend was disparaging. Something like the Dimension 3100 maybe.

Also, if you call them instead of buying online, you can configure it without things you don't want to buy, like DVD drives, or operating systems.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:46 pm

Mr. D....what ever ended up happening with the one which stopped working? I mean, obviously you solved the problem, but how? Did it just go away? The thread's really interesting; since that server's two years old now though, has that model been supplanted by another?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 pm

alex matson wrote:Mr. D....what ever ended up happening with the one which stopped working? I mean, obviously you solved the problem, but how? Did it just go away? The thread's really interesting; since that server's two years old now though, has that model been supplanted by another?
Oh yes a - bad memory chip IIRC, and not Dell's - one I added afterward. It may also have been some kind of loose connections from opening and closing the box. It was not out of commission for long at all.

That machine is now my main media aquisition machine, when the studio isn't running, and a slaved fxteleport box when it is. In other words, it's been running almost continously for over 12 months now. I have so many drives attached to it that I can't power it up with them all turned on - I have to unplug the hot swappable ones and power them up sequentially :>

There was an issue recently with the SATA drive controllers failing due to overheating. When ventilation was improved, the problem went away.

Otherwise, nothing to report.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

why eBay sucks

Post by alex matson » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:48 am

OK, so now I'm interested in one of these Dell servers...the 400sc. I find a nice one on ebay two days ago with 10 days left until the auction ends. But here's what's happened since then, with EIGHT days to go!! Keep in mind this thing isn't even made anymore.
atgillum US $500.00 Aug-21-06 08:25:51 PDT
peterrecchia US $499.99 Aug-20-06 20:44:42 PDT
atgillum US $450.00 Aug-21-06 08:25:28 PDT
atgillum US $425.00 Aug-21-06 08:25:09 PDT
atgillum US $400.00 Aug-21-06 08:24:50 PDT
atgillum US $375.00 Aug-21-06 08:24:33 PDT
atgillum US $350.00 Aug-20-06 16:55:11 PDT
emonarch US $325.00 Aug-20-06 14:22:08 PDT
atgillum US $325.00 Aug-20-06 16:54:51 PDT
atgillum US $300.00 Aug-20-06 13:44:17 PDT
jaseayi US $275.00 Aug-20-06 11:12:18 PDT
atgillum US $275.00 Aug-20-06 13:43:42 PDT
charlesdauphin US $260.00 Aug-20-06 12:25:40 PDT
atgillum US $250.00 Aug-19-06 19:15:07 PDT
riccis2j US $250.00 Aug-19-06 20:39:45 PDT
riccis2j US $225.00 Aug-19-06 20:39:32 PDT
riccis2j US $200.00 Aug-19-06 18:13:27 PDT
to_cheap15 US $199.99 Aug-19-06 17:03:38 PDT
riccis2j US $175.00 Aug-19-06 18:13:15 PDT
riccis2j US $150.00 Aug-19-06 18:13:03 PDT
johnclarkski US $100.00 Aug-19-06 17:16:50 PDT

People apparently have no concept of being their own worst enemy when it comes to auctions. At the rate this is going, I'll bet it ends up selling for way more than its updated replacement. I bet the same thing happens to music gear too. :x

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: why eBay sucks

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:14 pm

alex matson wrote:People apparently have no concept of being their own worst enemy when it comes to auctions. At the rate this is going, I'll bet it ends up selling for way more than its updated replacement. I bet the same thing happens to music gear too. :x
That pc is absolutely not worth more than $300. You could buy its updated replacement for $500.

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm a true believer in building my own but this spring I needed a tower (with the idea it would just be a server) and didn't want to spend either a lot of time or money so I got a refurbished Dell P4 2.8HT for $340 bucks ($400 with high Cali tax and shipping). It didn't have much on it and I could have picked up the same machine with various LCD monitors for $500-$600.

I figured it would be limited and probably too noisy to leave running but I was shocked by how quiet it is. (Well, mostly. It was a "scratch and dent" and one of the drivebay covers on the front seems to get a little oscillation going sometimes. I stuck some tape across it and that seems to work for the most part.)

It does have an integrated video (with shared memory) as well as an integrated SoundBlaster chip.

Impressed by how quiet it was I finally decided to make it my primary, taking a little weight off my hard-working Dell notebook (a Pentium M, about two and 1/2 years old... it's been a little trooper... out almost every workday for about 2 years... finally bought a new battery and it's back up to, like, 5 hrs of battery life).

I slapped a Firewire PCI card in it, tossed my Echo Mia from my old, long abandoned P3 tower in it, and hooked up my MOTU 828mkII via FW, as well (I always feel naked without at least THREE audio interfaces in my PCs :D ) and it works absolutely fine.

As others have noted -- when you buy a PC from one of the big vendors like HP, Compaq, Dell, eMachines, etc, you really HAVE to get rid of the incredible mountain of CRAPWARE they put in them (you know, AOL offers, dumb ass wizurds, media player "loaders" -- most of it all designed to put someone's logo in your systray [the little icon area typically at the right end of the taskbar].)

My new tower came with 68 background processes running. I was able to turn off 40 of them just like that... it was like getting a big hardware upgrade... just like that. (You can get tweaking instructions at www.MusicXP.com and www.tweakXP.com )

One last thing -- my machine came with Win Media Center Edition on it.

WMCE came out recently and, as such, has not been tested and approved by a fair number of hardware and software vendors. For that reason many of them do not officially support WMCE.

But from my reading, I found that, for the most part, WMCE is nearly identical to XP Pro -- with the exception of the removal of some enterprise level networking functions (the IIS server -- a new 'personal' version of which is available for free from MS as part of their free Visual Studio Express developement suite) AND the addition of a "soft" DVR and some other media center junk -- which you should probably remove as part of your optimization regimen. (There are, as I recall, only two WMCE services you need to turn off using MSConfig -- and they're easy to spot because they have Media Center in the names.) Once you turn them off you can't run the WMCE DVR and whatnot but you likely don't care anyhow since you probably won't have a video input on it.

I would NOT sit on my hands waiting for equipment manufactuers to issue certifications for WMCE, though. It's seen as an "end of cycle" slipstream version update... with Vista coming soon (early next year... maybe) everyone's scrambling to be ready for that. I guess. (Not me. You'll have to pry XP out of my cold, dead fingers. Rescaling graphics engine? What has that ever done for the world? The "swoosh" is about the only thing I can think of and I'm so sick of that freezing in the middle on the G4 iMac I sometimes use at a clients.)

Anyhow, a modest machine will always be a modest machine, but you may be pleasantly surprised by just how much they can do nowadays. I know I was.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:47 pm

theblue1 wrote:wizurds
Word of the week. Delibarately spelled like 'turds' or no, it's the word of the week.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:48 am

Making sure it has Windows XP SP2 is the first thing I'd be concerned for.

Some of the older Dell business machines can be purchased used for very good deals; be it the Optiplex or Precision series. A P4, freshly formatted and updated OS will work nicely.

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:03 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
theblue1 wrote:wizurds
Word of the week. Delibarately spelled like 'turds' or no, it's the word of the week.
I'm deeply flatturd.

:^D

BTW... I hope I didn't sound too laudatory about my modest little Dell box. It's risky to extrapolate from one or two positive experiences... certainly there have been a number of other people who, for various reasons, have not been happy with Dell... certainly, with the number of boxes they sell, it's natural there would be. But I recommended Dell to a friend (and now a client) who felt like he had a very negative experience with them.

(Although he likes the machine. It was the phone support thing that he didn't like. And I have to say that when I stumbled into the SALES phone system I had my only Dell nightmare so far... all I wanted to do was buy a copy of the OS system disk [who knew they don't include them anymore!!! Make sure you pop the extra $10... at least that's my thinking]... anyhow, the SALES people obviously wanted to get off the phone with me and go sell a room full of servers or something... I got bounced around for over an hour before I finally got called back in on the SUPPORT line and got a relatively straightforward service -- and a good apology for the runaround. And they sent it out for free. BUT I'll never get that hour plus of frustration back... )

Anyhow... Dell's a big, make that huge, impersonal company and they make a wide range of machines...

Just as you never step into the same stream twice (as they say) maybe you never have precisely the same Dell (or HP, etc) experience twice...

tubejay
pushin' record

Post by tubejay » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:42 pm

I'd wait for the new intel based Apples and just run windows on that. You should be able to dedicate a processor to Windows and a Processor to OSX and have them hooked up on dual monitors. If you can wait a little longer, this is the way to go...

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm thinkin' your a-kiddin' us on the one processor for OS X and one processor for Windows thingie...

I'm thinkin'.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:48 pm

tubejay wrote:I'd wait for the new intel based Apples and just run windows on that. You should be able to dedicate a processor to Windows and a Processor to OSX and have them hooked up on dual monitors. If you can wait a little longer, this is the way to go...
You'll need to provide links. This is pretty incredible claim.

I also don't see the point of being able to do this. I can do it already - but my computer is a special one with 2 monitors and two cpus and two motherboards and two cases.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
tubejay wrote:I'd wait for the new intel based Apples and just run windows on that. You should be able to dedicate a processor to Windows and a Processor to OSX and have them hooked up on dual monitors. If you can wait a little longer, this is the way to go...
You'll need to provide links. This is pretty incredible claim.

I also don't see the point of being able to do this. I can do it already - but my computer is a special one with 2 monitors and two cpus and two motherboards and two cases.
I have a couple of those 'special ones' too. :)

No, the new Intel based Macs are dual boot - that is, one can boot into Mac OS, or into Windows (or perhaps into Linux??? No mention of that I've seen yet...)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.