a PC for a Mac guy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Um... if you're gonna tug on my leg like that, please do the left one as it's a little shorter since my motorcycle wreck.

I hope this Waltersmania thing isn't spreading...

;^)

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:19 pm

tubejay wrote:I'd wait for the new intel based Apples and just run windows on that. You should be able to dedicate a processor to Windows and a Processor to OSX and have them hooked up on dual monitors. If you can wait a little longer, this is the way to go...
If they made one for, say, $1600, I'd save up for it. But spending 10% of my annual income on a Mac that's going to be selling for half that in 18 months...I don't need that much processing power anyway. Considering that people were making music with G3's at one time, I'm fine with Cubase VST 5/32 and a G4. It seems like all the really cool stuff is being done by little third party companies that can write code for the PC anyway.
Plus, upgrading to SX4 for dualcore Intel is going to be probably way over $600, if they even offer upgrades from my old platform. For what? For my needs, it's like taking a Lear jet to the grocery store. All I've ever really wanted was the best sounding home DAW I could afford. If my Mac wasn't being shut out of the most interesting web developments, I'd be fine. I'd upgrade to OSX, but then my Cubase would have to run in classic mode which sucks balls.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:54 pm

That computer/monitor combo is now up to $760. (Item#300019463006)
It's referred to as both an sc400 and a 420sc. But still...weird.
Winning bid:US $1,124.99
eBay: seller's paradise...