Little Richard vocal recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rawrecording
audio school

Little Richard vocal recording

Post by rawrecording » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 am

Does anyone know how to get that "in your face/over the top" vocal sound that is prevailent on '50s records. I've always loved the sound of early Little Richard records. What mics and equipment were used back then? Of course a lot of the sound came from the artists themselves but I'd like to attempt a similar vocal sound.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 am

I assume you're talking about the Specialty recordings.

I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Long Tall Sally sounds more primitive than most of the other cuts; my guess is that it was recorded in a different studio from most of the other cuts.

I believe that a lot of the Specialty recordings were done in a particular studio in Los Angeles, one which seems to have a certain sound that I really like. Of course, it stands to reason that the musicians have a lot to do with that sound as well. Treat yourself to another Specialty artist, Percy Mayfield ("the Poet of the Blues"), whose recordings have a vibe which is, to me, stunningly cool.

I would guess that Little Richard's voice was recorded with a particularly nice RCA 77.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:31 am

AT TapeOpCon last year Cosimo Matassa said he used a U47 with Little Richard at J&M in New Orleans.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:58 am

I would start with a tube mic into something like an ampex tube preamp like the mx-10.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 pm

drumsound wrote:AT TapeOpCon last year Cosimo Matassa said he used a U47 with Little Richard at J&M in New Orleans.
I'll shut up now.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:26 pm

drumsound wrote:AT TapeOpCon last year Cosimo Matassa said he used a U47 with Little Richard at J&M in New Orleans.
That was 2 years ago.

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doctari » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:20 pm

"AT TapeOpCon last year Cosimo Matassa said he used a U47 with Little Richard at J&M in New Orleans."

Are you saying Cosimo Matassa perhaps doesn't remember exactly which microphone he used in the fifties? It would be of interest to know precisely but. all of the elements present when those recordings were made became the sound we heard. I haven't heard those recordings on vinyl in years, the mixes heard on the radio now seem harsh compared to what i remember as a child.
Those little yellow lable 45's sent powerful jolts of energy around the world, We can only hope somebody will let that Genie out of the bottle again.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm pretty sure the key to that sound is the completely maniacal screamin' freak.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:23 am

just give the singer a ton of bad crystal and a smidge of ignited napalm on the testicles..to me that is the Little Richard sound..

DaViDB112
pluggin' in mics

Post by DaViDB112 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:51 am

just give the singer a ton of bad crystal and a smidge of ignited napalm on the testicles..to me that is the Little Richard sound..
:lol:

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 am

Little Richard....THE MOST UNDERATED ROCK N ROLL PIANO PLAYER IN RECORDING HISTORY! Seriously....No one else even comes close.....not even Jerry Lee! As far as his vocals are concerned....go ahead & just try to sing Good Golly Miss Molly, The Girl Can't Help it, or any of his stuff. He has the total package....singer/performer/showman...For all of you who dismiss him as all show & no go...listen again.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:13 am

he is hands down AMAZING..

John Waters even coped his 'stache as a tribute..

I mean the guy is AMAZING..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:40 pm

Fletcher wrote:
That was 2 years ago.
Whoops! You are right there my man.