guitar amps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:15 pm

I got an Ephiphone Valve Standard a few months ago and love it. Its a bit noisey but wont be a problem for playing live. If you were serious about recording you might try to get in there and fix it. Lots of people have been raving about these sence they came out. I got the biggest one. 12" 15w its class A/B the smaller ones are class A. With the gain at 1 o'clock I never put the volume past 12 and its plenty loud(ear plug volume for me). I guess that might not be enough volume if you want it super clean but that wouldn't be any fun now would it. With the gain that high its still clean when I pick lightly.

It's got dsp verb and effects. The effects are almost useable. I usualy have the verb on so you can barely tell its there. I like the verb better than the new fender blues jr verb. Oh yeah and it got mine "non-factory sealed" for $270. Regular $300.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:12 pm

oh yeah if you like the rock this is all the rage.

ampeg vl-1002

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEG-VL-1002-Ampli ... dZViewItem

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Some just scored an Ampeg SB-12 (baby Portaflex) in nice condition on ebay for $350 or something like that. Holy shite. I paid twice that for mine and it's worth every penny, for guitar and bass. If that's what those amps are going for these days. . .SLEEPER.

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 pm

hooray for humans wrote:i've actually been looking at the ampeg ss-140c and vh-140c. both are solid state, 2 channel amps, and they've got more power then i'll ever need. if anyone has had any experience with either of these i'd love to know what they think about them. i'll definitely check out the amps you guys have been talking about too. hopefully i can narrow it down a little more after that.
I have owned the VH-140C for a few years now & owned the SS-140C prior to that. (The head versions of both, ran through a Peavey 4X12 cab, of which I'm not sure the model). The VH-140C would be the better of the two. It has higher gain, which makes it a great amp for metal, hardcore, or heavier types of music. (I swear that this amp was made for death metal). A lot of bands use this amp & it has become somewhat sought after as a result. I wouldn't recommend it though unless you need high gain distortion, as there are better choices if your needs vary. The clean channel on this amp does sound decent and the spring reverb is quite good. Forget about the chorus though, it sounds pretty subpar. Overall it's a good workhorse amp primarily suited for heavier music although it does a decent job on many styles of music.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:45 pm

hooray for humans wrote:i've actually been looking at the ampeg ss-140c and vh-140c. both are solid state, 2 channel amps, and they've got more power then i'll ever need. if anyone has had any experience with either of these i'd love to know what they think about them. i'll definitely check out the amps you guys have been talking about too. hopefully i can narrow it down a little more after that.

a friend of mine used to play through an SS-140C (bought new in the 80s).

good clean and crunch.

decent chorus too, if you like chorusing, and a spring verb that didn't suck.

i once borrowed it for part of a recording project and found it to be a pretty versatile (and LOUD!) amp, in fact.

but, after 4+ years of recording and touring, his died screaming and "the magic smoke escaped".

apparently there's a flaw in the design of the power supply? :?

as with any amp, play thru it with YOUR axe(s) before making any decisions.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca