another reamp question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

another reamp question

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:11 am

So I've read most of the reamp posts, but my question is:

Can reamping (interface channel out into guitar amp) WITHOUT either a legit reamp box OR the reverse passive DI trick cause any damage to either the interface or the amp? Do you HAVE to insert something in the chain between interface out and amp? Is the only negative result poor sound quality?

-John

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:12 am

Depends on how you try to do it without a 're-amp' box. If you're talking about turning around a transformer based DI, then no... no problem. If you're talking about coming out of the aux output of your console into a guitar amp... chances are it'll be noisy as hell and probably sound 1/2 like ass and or distorted as a motherfucker... but no, it shouldn't do any damage [unless you have like a ground loop from hell in which case all bets are off!!].

All a re-amp box does is send the signal to the guitar amp at a reasonable level and relatively well matched impedance for the input to the guitar amp. Your guitar pickups put out like a volt or so at like 10k+ ohms... [check the pickup spec sheets for a real answer... I'm 2/3rd's pulling numbers out of my ass]... you want to get in that range when entering a guitar amp.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Peace.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:27 pm

the little labs red eye is a di and a reamp and is like $200....sooooooooo totally worth it. it sounds great, has a ground lift (very helpful), and you never have to consider any interfacing issues again. i'm getting way better results with this thing than i ever did just running stuff out of the board or using crappy di's backwards. just sayin'.

2121TrumbullAve

but...

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:49 pm

My main concern was NOT coming out of a console, but out of my rme fireface outs, and if any impedance mis-matches could cause damage to it, like when you mis-match impedance with guitar amp and speaker, it can cause harm.
*insert pricey DAW specs here

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:11 pm

yeah i was using 'running stuff out of the board' as a kind of generic catch all for 'doing shit half assed' :)

i never destroyed anything in all my days of half-assery, fwiw. BUT, one time i was running a guitar straight into an ensoniq dp2 rack dealie, and then out of that into a little danelectro amp. because i am an idiot, i mistakenly plugged the output of the ensoniq into one of the speaker outs on the back of the amp. big hum. bad sound. outputs on ensoniq no worky any more. bummer.

anyway i don't think you'll ruin anything. shouldn't you at least have a di in there between the fireface and the amp though?

2121TrumbullAve

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:27 pm

>>>>
shouldn't you at least have a di in there between the fireface and the amp though?
>>>>

Thanks for replying, and thanks also for re-asking my initial question in your answer...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:35 am

terribly, terribly sorry.