LP/SG Type Guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark
tinnitus

LP/SG Type Guitars

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:25 am

I've recently found out that my LP copy is playable again (it's a long story, don't ask) and after recording a lead guitar part with it that I'd been going spare trying to do with a Strat copy I've developed a new appreciation for it. :)
WWRHS?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:37 am

1) Nice Life on Mars Av, Mark.

2) What's "going spare" mean, for them of us behind on our UK slang?

3) Les Pauls rule.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 am

I love my 2005 SG. The most killer guitar I've ever ownd. I also bought a 2002 Flying V and it too rules! Gibson has really stepped it up in the 2000s. Great quality even on their less expensive models.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:58 am

if this is a les paul-sg love thread, I'M IN! les paul studio 2001, love it! sg classic w/p90s 2005, LOVE LOVE IT! ok, that's all :D
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:04 am

Nothing "crunches" like a humbucker-equipped, heavy-ass LP.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 am

getreel wrote:I love my 2005 SG. The most killer guitar I've ever ownd. I also bought a 2002 Flying V and it too rules! Gibson has really stepped it up in the 2000s. Great quality even on their less expensive models.
:?: :?: :?:

Wow, this is interesting to hear. You are literally the only person i've ever heard say this. In fact, you're the first person I've heard NOT say "Gibson has been going steadily downhill and has really gone to shit since the late 90s."

I'm really glad to hear that you've had a great experience, they must just be "terribly inconsistent" instead of just plain "terrible" :D

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:07 am

Going spare = going mad.

To elucidate further the part in question called for a rapid change (literally within a beat) from a clean sound to a crunchy one and back again. With the "strat" this was impossible to achieve with the resources at my disposal, I don't own any overdrive/distortion/gain pedals nor the appropriate footswitch for my Pathfinder. That being the case the only other options were...

1: Record the two parts on two seperate tracks and combine during the final mix. Which is okay if you have a high track count or low track demand: neither of which applied in this case

2: Record the two parts on two seperate tracks, as above, but combine to a third track before the final mixdown. Again this is okay, but since this was what I consider a primary track I wanted to keep it to one generation (i.e. no bouncing).

3: Record the clean part and then punch in the crunchy part to the same track. Well, I tried it and, to be quite honest, I was never able to achieve a satisfactory transition between the original and the punch in.

However, with the LP copy I was simply able to set the amp to distort with a pup set to around 10 and then lower the volume control of the other pup to minimise distortion and switch between the two as required. Try doing that on a Strat/Tele type guitar :)
WWRHS?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 pm

I have a 2005 Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. It's my favorite guitar. MIJ Epiphones are incredible.

Jeff

jeremyj
audio school graduate

Post by jeremyj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 pm

les paul black beauty + space echo + fender champ

you would not believe the frggggiinnn tone

it'll be out on my friend Charlie's record

www.charliefaye.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:37 pm

jeremyj wrote:les paul black beauty + space echo + fender champ

www.charliefaye.com
Yes I would. What year is the LP and what year is the champ? Tweed or BF/SF?

I love those stone-simple rigs. There is NO weak link in that setup for sure!

i'm a big fan of 62 jazzmaster + EP-2 tube echoplex + original Fender Reverb Unit + brown '61 Fender Super, cranked (almost) all the way up. One extra link in the chain than yours but that's fender heaven right there. Sorry to digress [/threadjack]

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:46 pm

2000 LP DC desertburst w/ tricked out switches and PhatCat p-90 in the neck. Only new/stock gibson worth buying in the past 15 years in my opinion. Like a 24-fret SG that feels like a Paul. Good for the above poster who got lucky on his modern SG! I have NEVER witnessed one worth the arm and a leg that the dealers are forced to ask for them. Props on the fender champ to!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:05 pm

May have to do with how long different Gibson's sit in the stores. Mine came through a friend of mine at GC. He sent it to me straight from the factory. It had not been out on the showroom floor at any time. It was great straight out da box!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 pm

that's a definite possibility. That and people like yr friend might select out the "good ones" for themselves and others before they even hit the floor.
Last edited by ??????? on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyj
audio school graduate

Post by jeremyj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:39 pm

brad347 wrote:
jeremyj wrote:les paul black beauty + space echo + fender champ

www.charliefaye.com
Yes I would. What year is the LP and what year is the champ? Tweed or BF/SF?

I love those stone-simple rigs. There is NO weak link in that setup for sure!

i'm a big fan of 62 jazzmaster + EP-2 tube echoplex + original Fender Reverb Unit + brown '61 Fender Super, cranked (almost) all the way up. One extra link in the chain than yours but that's fender heaven right there. Sorry to digress [/threadjack]
It's a silver face, but an older one, with a weber Alnico.

Les Paul's a 74

digressions cool man, I get a little pedal happy everyone in a while.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:32 pm

You may know that BF/SF makes very little difference in champs. Sometimes the speakers in the SF champs might be a lil bit assier (N/A in yr case), and they did have those brown 'rabbit turd' capacitors instead of the blue mallorys of the BF years, but the circuit didn't change one little bit. That's one of the only amps that CBS left untouched when they went to the silver panel design.