confusion on balanced-unbalanced ins and outs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

confusion on balanced-unbalanced ins and outs

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:55 am

Just got a Soundcraft Spirit M8 board to go with my MOTU 828mkII.

I've been recording my own stuff for about 5 years or so and I've always mixed in the box. But lately I've felt the need for real faders, an analog eq and limitations placed on track count. The M8 fits the bill perfectly.

My questions concerning balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs:

The MOTU has balanced 1/4" ins and outs. The M8 has balanced line inputs but unbalanced direct outs on each channel as well as unbalanced inserts on each channel.

The direct outs on the M8 are 3-pole 'A' gauge jack sockets (unbalanced) - wired as shown --> (TIP = signal +) (RING = signal -) (SLEEVE = screen)

The mix inserts on the M8 are 3-pole 'A' gauge jack sockets (unbalanced) - wired as shown --> (TIP = signal send) (RING = signal return) (SLEEVE = ground/screen)

To my untrained eye, the above wiring diagrams appear to be balanced (TRS), but they are unbalanced. Can someone explain.

How should I hook the M8 up to the MOTU?

Right now I have balanced interconnect cables running from the balanced outs on the the MOTU to the balanced line inputs on the M8.

I have a couple of external pres that I'm running directly into the MOTU. I will be using some of the pres on the M8. Would I run balanced or unbalanced cable from the channel's unbalanced direct out to one of the MOTU's balanced ins?

I feel kind of dumb for asking this stuff. Thank you for any help. I know I'll have a few more questions.

Andy

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:10 am

I don't see any diagrams....

Do you?
________
Ct50 Motra
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:46 am

Signal + and Signal - would indicate a balanced connection. The insert points are definitely unbalanced.

If you have an oscilliscope handy, you can check the channel outputs to see if they're balanced or not.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:55 am

the description you gave is confusing, but if you go to the user manual, on page 35, it clearly states the outs are unbalanced:

http://www.soundcraft.com/download.asp? ... s28_39.pdf

Also, it has a wiring diagram for using a TRS connector with the direct outs. Perhaps that's what the description above was referring to.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:15 am

Thanks ckeene.

I apologize for my above questions being vague or confusing.

So, in order to run a cable from the unbalanced direct outs on the M8 to the balanced ins on the MOTU I need to either use a TS jack or rewire a TRS jack to where tip goes to tip and ring/sleeve goes to ring/sleeve?

The MOTU accepts balanced or unbalanced. I'm assuming the M8 only accepts unbalanced with the direct outs.