AT 4033
AT 3035 (2)
Shiny Box 46
sm57
audix i5
beta 52 (kick)
Tape Op mini (2)
AKG sm58 copy

im looking to spend 500 or so on something to fill the gaps. large diaphram with good low end response would be nice. i record drums guitar bass vox.... basic rock pop stuff

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 pm

How about a c414? You can use that on a lot of sources.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:02 pm

thanks, thats about double what i wanted to spend. any other options?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:03 pm

So far I've been real happy with the ultra smooth low end response I've gotten from a modded Apex 460 I recently bought. It doesn't choke on the lows that some of my other mics choke on with acoustic instruments. Yesterday I did some test tracks using the 460 on a classical guitar with a cedar top that has extremely rich lows and the mic did really well I thought. So you might consider a tube mic or maybe even just a decent compressor to handle some of your runaway lows from the mic selection you already own. You've already got some nice mics on your list IMO.

Anyway, I can recommend the modded 460 from the guys at Advanced-Audio: http://stores.ebay.com/Advanced-Audio
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:10 pm

mjau wrote:How about a c414? You can use that on a lot of sources.
I should've said a used c414. I got mine for about your price range. A 4047 would be a nice addition to your list, as would a 4050. They all fall within your price range, used.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:03 pm

KennyLusk wrote:So far I've been real happy with the ultra smooth low end response I've gotten from a modded Apex 460 I recently bought. It doesn't choke on the lows that some of my other mics choke on with acoustic instruments. Yesterday I did some test tracks using the 460 on a classical guitar with a cedar top that has extremely rich lows and the mic did really well I thought. So you might consider a tube mic or maybe even just a decent compressor to handle some of your runaway lows from the mic selection you already own. You've already got some nice mics on your list IMO.

Anyway, I can recommend the modded 460 from the guys at Advanced-Audio: http://stores.ebay.com/Advanced-Audio
Interesting on the apex 460. So its a decent deal eh? All the apex stuff i've had my hands on has been the cheapest crap ever. cheap as in "not good" cheap. This is an exception perhaps?

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:45 pm

For low end, have you considered a decent SDC omni? That will practically go to DC.

Earthworks, perhaps a Stapes (never tried one). I noticed a few med-large DC's in your list...

Best,
H

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:07 pm

The CAD M-179 is flat all the way down to like 10 hz or so, and reproduces the lower frequencies with very impressive accuracy. Most of the Equitech series are the same way.

Mid-sized diaphragm condensers with embossed diaphragms also work exceptionally well at reproducing low frequencies; AT-4033 and KSM-32 being the only two examples of that type of mic I can think of.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:23 pm

you can probably get a used pair of Shure KSM27 for $500..1 new for $300..I just traded my pair for a Rhodes but when I had them I loved them..the low end is great..and you can use them on anything..really great mics..I think they are built with a "Neumann-like" frequency curve..

also not too long ago I got a used sudio projects T3 tube mic (with a vintage tube in it)..It's also a very cool LDC..it's an AKG C12-alike..the high end can get harsh on bright sources and bring up dark sources..again nice lows..$300-ish used, $500 new..

with both the detail is great..If I had to pick for versitility I would pick the 27 though..because it can be used in more situations maybe..but as always, YMMV..

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:40 am

How about a large diaphragm dynamic? SM7? RE20? MD421?

Another fun option is a modded Oktava 219/319 at http://oktavamod.com

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:14 am

Yeah...I was gonna say 421.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:20 am

i want an sm7 so badly. I've got an re20 and a few 421's and they get used more than any other mics i got. well wait, i think i use just about all of my mics each session so nevermind.

But yeah if i had two more 421's for a total of 5, and a sm7, i think i'd be covered. I'm still to skerrred to use my oktava 012's on toms because i know someone is going to wack the fek out of them so the 421's are a norm. love the 421's on guitar cabs as well.

i want to check out the ATM-25 as well. is it a large dynamic also?

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:53 pm

Moon Unit wrote:The CAD M-179 is flat all the way down to like 10 hz or so, and reproduces the lower frequencies with very impressive accuracy. Most of the Equitech series are the same way.

Mid-sized diaphragm condensers with embossed diaphragms also work exceptionally well at reproducing low frequencies; AT-4033 and KSM-32 being the only two examples of that type of mic I can think of.

Yeah, but there's something about the low end "bloom" of an SDC omni-no proximity effect as well, so it's not just the freq. curve coming into play.
All good tools! I need to hear the Cad one day!

The SM-7 really shines with a nice transfo preamp as well. I always liked it, but the day I got the right pre for it, I felt I understood its mojo.

Best,
H

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:11 am

Something that is "flat down to 10Hz" may not sound "low end heavy" at all. Listen to a good earthworks omni... very balanced. Something that sounds like it has more oomph in tthe bottom would be like a FET47, 4047, RE20,SM7... More because there is a high mid defecit (slight) that translates as a low mid and low end bump when cranked up...

Keep saving money, unless you are severely pressed for time, and get something really nice. Try a couple of things out, you may find something amazing that was not suggested here, then come back and let us all know about your score!
That is half the fun of buying cool, weird pro audio gear.

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Stapes...no

Post by PublicMelody » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:32 am

I have the Avensons.
As one person pointed-out, they are great for natural sounding audio capture, but you're not going to get heavy low-end out of them.

As for the 414, look for authorized dealers on ebay. You can get a new 414 XLS for around $600, and the XLII for around $700. You can check their "authorized" status using the AKG website.

I'm not sure the 414 is what you're looking for with this application...

- Jim