yet another EH 12ay7 thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: figured it out

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:21 am

2121TrumbullAve wrote:I've diagnosed the static problem.

Its an SPL thing. With a louder source, and particularly distorted guitar, record meters (Sonar, in my case) cannot read above -12, or else this static occurs. -12 is a healthy level anyway - it's like a built in punishment for hitting the converters too hot, I 'spose.

On my EH pre, this means the input pot when recording a not-very-loud guitar amp is at 9-10 o'clock. There's that tiny area in the throw of the pot at around 8 o'clock that most of the gain is at - so on a really loud source, it'll be tuff to set a level. I still don't know why this doesn't happen when I record vox really hot - but I'm glad I figured it out for elec-guit.

This doesn't mean the gentleman up-thread's diagnosis did not work for him - but keeping the unit away from the power supply didn't affect anything in my experiments.

So folks who are bummed about this - back off on the input gain; oughtta do the trick.
I'm finding similar situs with mine. especially the 8o'clock to 9 gain boost. recording loud vox, i had the gain around 10:00 but trying to do some loud ass electric guitar the other day i struggled with the gain setting without clipping the converters. I should have thrown a dynamic on there to check but instead sent the LDC through anouther pre with a pad.

Bounce- more info on how you racked yours would be awesome.

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Re: figured it out

Post by modernkicks » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:39 am

trodden wrote:Bounce- more info on how you racked yours would be awesome.
I second that!

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:48 am

The EH pre has two main circuit boards which are connected by a ribbon cable. There is one circuit board for the tube pre section and one for the knobs/LED's. I went to my local electronics store and got the parts to make a ribbon cable with the same number of pins as the EH pre with one female connector and one male connecter (basically a ribbon cable extender). It cost about 6 bucks. Using this I was able to mount the knob board on the faceplate of my rack chassis and the tube board on the bottom of the chassis (perpindicular). You can use the original case for the pre as a template for drilling holes in the new faceplate of the new chassis for the knobs. I made short XLR cables which go into the pre's existing attached XLR connects and then go out the back of the chassis pigtail style (or even better you can connect the other end of the cable to a surface mount XLR connector (2) mounted on the back of your new chassis. You have to use a 3 space (!) rack in this config because the tubes are kinda tall. I'm planning on either mounting another EH pre next to the one in my chassis or a Black Finger compressor with in/out transformers added. Looks cool ("mystery pre") in the rack and sounds cool as well :-)
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:59 am

Here're some lame pics of the guts:

http://www.b-oz.com/ehpre.html

The rainbow colored ribbon cable is the extension.

:-)
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:12 pm

so I finally figured out a way to get rid of the terrible hiss that I had on my 12ay7. Just use the 1/4" out. Dispite how bad every one says using the 1/4" out is, it doesn't hiss like the xlr out does.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Re: damn! update

Post by MT » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm

adhooker wrote:
2121TrumbullAve wrote:As I said above - it's dead quiet, BUT...

when recording distorted guitars, at any volume, I get a clipping - crackle with the transients. Not musical, doubtfully 'tube distortion".

I tried changing mics (a 57 even did it) and when switching pre's, the problem went away.

How very strange. 2 others have experienced this also. Don't wanna swap tubes - like the sound the way it is.

Sent it back - 2nd unit does it also. Surely, others have experienced this.

Let me know...I guess it's back for a refund...
I've had this exact problem... crackle on guitar amps, but at LOW volumes (bedroom low) with a variety of mics. If I switch to a different pre, Art Tube MP, the problem disappears entirely.

I'm still so happy with the sound, I just reserve it for vocals or acoustic guitar work. I just can't use it for guitar cabs.
Mine just started this tonight as well. I've tried some different tube variations, RCA's and others that I've got, and they're all the same. When I turn the input pot, it sounds like it may be bad, but when not turning, there's still some crackle.

Taking it tomorrow to my gear guru to see what his opinion is. Hopefully, there's a fix because this thing's pretty incredible when usable.

MT
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:10 am

I have never owned a mic pre, and still dont, that simply does everything. Including Neve 1073's, 1066's, 33114's, manley, avalon, API, auditronics, chandler ltd, ampex, gates, altec, MCI, flickinger, TLAudio, langevin (original), langevin (manley), drawmer, symetrix, aphex, ashly, peach, Sage electronics, and many, many more. None of them work for absolutely everything. certainly not all of them have worked with ribbons, nor on electric guitars. My U47 sounds like crap on electric guitar also. many things sound like crap on a source that the piece does not like.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Sometimes you have to do some real deep investigations on your own cause no one else seem to be able to give the right answer. It was a while ago, but I think i remember the solution. Open up the pre and inside on one of the pc boards there is a trim knob that is flat and small. Just lower it from 5 o'clock to 3 or 4 o'clock. Woila!

I hope this helps you out and please write back and tell me/us how it went. Regards

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:58 am

Did my suggestion solve the problem? Regards

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 pm

I 2nd the advice to use the 1/4" out

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:50 pm

I thought I'd drop by and mention that I recently mixed an album that was recorded almost entirely through a 12ay7.

Peter Katis (Interpol, The National, Mates of State etc.,) tracked drums at his studio. Since they were on a strict budget, the producer/songwriter tracked the rest of it almost entirely at his home studio through a 12ay7.

Sounds great!

Most of the reason it sounds great is that Dan (the writer/singer/producer) took the time to come up with some very stellar arrangements. The EH didn't hold it back at all though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:10 pm

I hear that, Justin.
Talk to Toaster 3000 about this pre... he recorded some stellar sounding vocals with the 12aY7 on his band's last record. Just killer sounding. I believe it was a U95 into the 12AY7, straight in. Nothing else.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:15 pm

fossiltooth wrote:I thought I'd drop by and mention that I recently mixed an album that was recorded almost entirely through a 12ay7.

Peter Katis (Interpol, The National, Mates of State etc.,) tracked drums at his studio. Since they were on a strict budget, the producer/songwriter tracked the rest of it almost entirely at his home studio through a 12ay7.

Sounds great!

Most of the reason it sounds great is that Dan (the writer/singer/producer) took the time to come up with some very stellar arrangements. The EH didn't hold it back at all though.
awesome.

since getting an attenuator, i've been able to use mine alot more on really loud sources.. used it for snare top just last weekend.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:52 pm

punkrockdude wrote:Sometimes you have to do some real deep investigations on your own cause no one else seem to be able to give the right answer. It was a while ago, but I think i remember the solution. Open up the pre and inside on one of the pc boards there is a trim knob that is flat and small. Just lower it from 5 o'clock to 3 or 4 o'clock. Woila!

I hope this helps you out and please write back and tell me/us how it went. Regards

Was that supposed to be a joke?

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:34 pm

after my first one died, i got another last week and tried it on electric guitar. i, too, was getting that crackle on distorted, electric guitar. i thought i was blowing up my ribbon mic and freaked out. but when i changed pres, it was fine.

so are people saying to just switch to the 1/4" output or turn the trim down on the internal pot?

for you folks who turned the internal pot, is there a noticeable change on how it works with other sources? i used to really like this pre on top snare and vocals.