ART TPS....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:08 am

pandatone wrote:the TPS is fun. i had to replace the tube, cause i couldn't stand the stock ones. but i still find the unit to make way to much noise when adding a lot of gain.
i mostly just keep it. cause it doesn't seem worth getting rid of (yet).

panda
a different tube makes a sound difference in that thing?

thats surprising..

what changes did you notice?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:23 pm

I've used one a lot. It works good for DI signals especially keyboards. I agree that the variable voicings are mostly crap. I only ever used neutral or Valve setting. Nothing special but makes an OK DI.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:29 am

well its not quiet as harsh over all. less gritty(distrotion/nois), but no loss of the highs. so it just seems clearer to me. and since i only really use it at mostly full gain, the weird limiter kicks in. and with the diff tube, the limiter doesn't crush the sound uncontrolably like it did before. its pretty subtle.. could just me convincing myself it doesn't suck it.
though my octava 319, cranked into it does this mid-high grit/crunch thing that is sorta neet.

panda
Toolshed of Death wrote: a different tube makes a sound difference in that thing?

thats surprising..

what changes did you notice?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:48 am

My favorite tube for the ART stuff is the NOS Philips 12AT7. Try it, you'll like it.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna