Re-amping noise issue/question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

w_
pushin' record

Re-amping noise issue/question

Post by w_ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Ok, first a little background...I'm using a Nord Electro and Logic EVP and the Mtron plug-in to write a song (I'm using Logic and an Maudio firewire 410). I'm not totally happy with the sounds so I was planning on running them through my '77 Fender Princeton Reverb and mic'ing them with a Beyer m160 into my JoeMeek VC6Q to give the sound a bit more "oomph" for lack of a better word.

I went out output 3/4 of the Maudio and there is a LOT of noise coming from the amp, whether I'm playing or not. It's a lot of high frequency content, "standard" amp noise/hiss. I plugged in my guitar and the noise disappeared.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Something in the signal chain? Is the Maudio 410 just really noisy with its cheap converters? As it stands now it is so noisy that any re-amping would be detrimental.

Thanks a lot for any help/suggestions.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm

it's an impedence issue. you need to go into either a passive DI backwards or a dedicated reamp box before the amp. fwiw i'm using the little labs red eye reamp box and it's great. ~200 bucks. a passive di can of course be had for way less.

can't go wrong with the princeton and an m160!

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks. I have the Tech21 Sansamp Bass D.I., I assume that would work? Also, by 'backwards' do you mean going from the audio interface into the D.I. then into the amp?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:50 pm

the Tech21 Sansamp Bass D.I. is active not passive..so it will not work for you like that..

you have an impedance and gain problem and possiby a grounding problem when you take a "line level" device to an "instrument level" input..

the best way to deal with that is a "reamp" device..I use a redeye as well..it's been well worth the cost for me..the difference between it an a passive Di in reverse is that it has way more features, i.e, earth lift, level pot, linkability, phase, pad, custom transformers, etc. it can always be tweaked to be right in that sort of situation over the passive di in reverse..which might and might not work well in a specific situation..

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks. Any reccomendations on where to get the Red Eye for $200 (or less)? It looks to be $250 direct from Little Labs...not seeing it as Sweetwater, zZounds, or MF.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:55 am

Mercenary has them for $225.

nystrec
gettin' sounds

Post by nystrec » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:09 pm

passive DI's can be had for cheap if money is an issue. It's just a transformer so the inputs and outputs can be switched.

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:54 am

nystrec wrote:passive DI's can be had for cheap if money is an issue. It's just a transformer so the inputs and outputs can be switched.
Any good recommendations on a decent affordable passive D.I.? Normally I would be more than willing to pay $200 for the Red Eye but I just moved and am beyond broke so the only way I can purchase something is if I sell some other piece of gear which I would really prefer not to do since I'm already working the bare bones approach as it is. Tapco? Or spring for the Radial?

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:11 am

Groove Tubes makes a good cheap passive DI that is only available at Guitar Center. I think they are 40 bucks. They are way better tharn any other DIs in the same price range.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.