My mono overhead experience ...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MattGrabe
gettin' sounds

My mono overhead experience ...

Post by MattGrabe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:52 pm

My band is going into the studio in a few months to record our full length (looks like we are going to go with Mark Trombino). Being that my paying job is an engineer, I'm in charge of recording all the preproduction for the producer to hear. To keep things simple, I head to our practice space with my mBox and MacBook to record drums. I decide to use a mono overhead sent to input two. Input one has combined kick, snare, and toms. That way when it came time to mix, I just used the transients in track one to trigger kick, snare, and toms. So my 2 input mBox turned into a 10 track drum session :) Inluding three kicks, four snares, tom 1, tom 2, and mono overhead. Much easier then bringing my 24 track!

So that was a long introduction ... come time to mix the songs, I am a huge of fan of the mono overhead now. Individual tom tracks are still somewhat panned. But the way the centered mic picked up the whole kit seemed a lot more accurate then the space pair I've been used to doing. Maybe this is the reason some people prefer XY, due to the way the mics in the center pick up the kit. But come time to mix ... having a centered overhead allowed me to space my other instruments the way I wanted without making things seemed cluttered in the left/right sides.

So maybe I'll be investing in one solid mono overhead mic, and use my 4033's as stereo rooms incase I want that space. Long post, sorry. But does anybody else prefer the mono overhead sound?

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Yes, I always use a mono overhead on drums. Stereo drums sound unnatural and phony to me. The only instances where I have recorded or really enjoyed listening to stereo drums are when they are a part of a true stereo recording (ie. not a bunch of panned mono or stereo tracks).

Bill

lg
steve albini likes it

Re: My mono overhead experience ...

Post by lg » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:57 am

MattGrabe wrote:does anybody else prefer the mono overhead sound?
fwiw, we're using a pretty minimal (and somewhat odd) setup, mostly from necessity, but intrigued by the one overhead notion: one akg c1000s (40" or so up, aimed at edge of snare), sm57 2" from snare batter head, sm57 w/earthworks kickpad about 4" inside kick, blue baby bottle about 8" off res head of kick, centered 3/4 of the way up. generally submix everything into a very narrow stereo field, so it's basically a mono mix with a little extra girth...it'd be nice to try a few different mics, especially for the o/h, but in general i like this arrangement a lot.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm tracking an EP right now (it's great working on tape... G5 on the console for TOMB-ing between takes) and I'm using my U95 as a mono overhead. right over the drummer's right knee maybe 3 feet above the snare... sounds awesome with an eisen audio pre to an A80 running Emtec 900... stereo room mics (414s into Porticos....) a modded 57 on the snare, 4047 on kick (no hole)

it is rock...rock.

jd
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:31 am

I started out with stereo oh's, and I got a nice big sound. I have really fallen for the omni mono oh myself. It's a lot more homey. heheh I just use the oh, one on kick, one on snare, and possibly an extra room mic. So, 3 or 4 channels for my drums right now.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 am

It worked for the beatles....

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:05 am

I just did a 7" for a band here in Atlanta where I used a Beyer ribbon mic as a mono OH and it's the best drum sound I've ever produced.

The ribbon really puts the cymbals in check and I even thought I might not have enough highs in the mix but compressing the drum mix really brought them up. The mono OH also makes the drums sound like one instrament and leaves room in the mix for other things. It also has perfect phase compared to a stereo OH.

I'll be using this technique first from now on. Maybe in a more stripped down band that might consist of a kit and a guitar I might try stereo OHs.
I miss the days of Ass Engineer.

TheMilford
audio school graduate

Post by TheMilford » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 pm

I've used my M-160 as an overhead and found similar results.

I plan to continue to use this mic in this app.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:04 pm

Yep, me too. Mono ribbon OH. Always sounds good.

Jess Ashes
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jess Ashes » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm

YES!
I was recently tracking drums and bass (plus scratch..) with my band and tried a couple of options for the o/h including a (pretty old) mono neumann km-84 in various positions but ended up choosing the old beyer ribbon in a low o/h (or crotch mic configuration as I like to call it) with 421 on kick and a tiny bit of snare mixed in with the o/h - so only 2 drum tracks to start. I have had success with it alone in the past and just didn't find the condenser to be beefy enough...probably because I was trying to capture the entire kit with it, not just the o/h....

FUN!

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:19 pm

Mono drums are excellent. Unless you listen with your head in the kit, there's not much panning going on naturally anyway. And lots of room left for the other instruments. I'm working with a two guitar band right now and I did kick, snare top, snare bottom, tom (he only uses 1 tom anyway) and mono OH, and the guitars are panned hard left and right in the rough mixes- nice big sound that I am pleased with right now.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 pm

I'm going to have to use a ribbon mono overhead now. Or, at least try it out. If anything, I've enjoyed minimal panning on kits now, anyways, due to all this talk.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 am

I just did a whole record with a group called Friend Factory where we did the drums with a single Coles 4038 for the overhead. Turned out fantastic, but mostly because it was appropriate for the source material. They're kind of a cross between the Kinks and Ween....

-marc

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:30 pm

I have been tempted to Omni my mono overhead lately, to open things up a bit. I was wondering if anyone had trouble using Mono Omni with low cellings. 7.5' or so.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:38 am

Ryan Silva wrote:I have been tempted to Omni my mono overhead lately, to open things up a bit. I was wondering if anyone had trouble using Mono Omni with low cellings. 7.5' or so.
no I don't have a problem with my low ceilings but I put fiberglass above the kit to simulate the sound of a higher ceiling by taking that reflection point away..