how much money should i get!?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brownshoes77
alignin' 24-trk

how much money should i get!?

Post by brownshoes77 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:32 pm

i hope i am posting in the right section. i got a call today from the head engineer at a pretty large pretty well known east coast studio asking if i would like to asst engineer for a 24 day project for somewhere between 500-1000 dollars. this would be my first legit gig, since i run a non legit studio out of my house. i really want to do it, especially since i have yet to get a degree or tack any real big studio experience onto my resume, but i feel i might be getting screwed with money...i kind of figure fuck it, whens the next time me with my complete lack of credentials will get an offer to work full time at an incredible studio. but anyway, i'm not sure what is standard for an asst engineer to be paid for 3 weeks of work. anybody know who has been in a similar situation?

thanks much

ian

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:06 pm

but i feel i might be getting screwed with money...
What d'ya mean -- that's almost 42 dollars a day?!? Jump on it!

Jus' funnin'. If you'd do it for free anyway and have nothing better to do, then do it.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

brownshoes77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brownshoes77 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 am

well, i would do it for free but the thing is my bills arent taking a vacation any time soon, and NYC is an hour and 45 min drive for me. so its a lot of money spent on gas, and then trying to stretch the rest to cover insurance/cell phone/rent. eek.

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by treble king » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:46 am

I'd start higher (I can't do this for less than x dollars), then let them hem and haw you down to something that will cover your expenses (mostly). That is if you think you'd learn enough to make it worthwhile over the long haul.

I get offered design jobs for crap money sometimes; if I think the exposure is worth it, I'll do them. Resum? padding never hurt no one, 'cept for hookers.
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 am

Perhaps offer to do it for $1000 plus a fair exchange in studio time based on minimum wage.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:32 am

brownshoes77 wrote:well, i would do it for free but the thing is my bills arent taking a vacation any time soon, and NYC is an hour and 45 min drive for me. so its a lot of money spent on gas, and then trying to stretch the rest to cover insurance/cell phone/rent. eek.
an hour and 45 each way? would you be driving back and forth every day? that's gonna be a fortune in gas + tolls alone.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:36 am

I'd think you should charge your expenses associated with the job (travel, meals & hotel) plus a fair hourly rate, like maybe $25 to $35 / hour, stressing that you're willing to negotiate the wage but not expenses.

If that strikes them as too steep, at least you've set the bar for negotiating it a bit.
________
BMW NAZCA C2 HISTORY
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 pm

It's your time, and your money.

One formula that works (if you have a day job) is, charge by what you make by the day job x 2. (E.g. $50K/yr = $25/hr @ 50 wks / yr). If you accept less, think what you're getting. If learning in a NY studio is worth it to you for the difference, then go for it. Otherwise, no.

RockyTCR
gettin' sounds

Post by RockyTCR » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 pm

are you willing to spend 14hrs a day for 24 days for a grand? I bet someone else is,which is the tough part of the situation. I could be a great opportunity, sounds like a good in to me...Milk it for all that it is worth.
Anthony "Rocky" Gallo
Audio Engineer
TJGALLO.com

brownshoes77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brownshoes77 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:44 am

wow, thanks for all the advice, i just figured out i can take the train round trip for 20 dollars plus parking is 3 dollars instead of gas/tolls/beating up my poor car. plus i can stay in the suite adjacent to the studio with the other engineers, so most nights i could crash there. and you're definitly right, someone else is definitely willing to do it, most wanna-be engineers (like myself) would 's' a 'd' for a chance like this one. by the way the job is at www.watermusic.net and we'd be recording for virgin records. oh the gear, oh the rooms.

ian

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:02 pm

i'd say if you have the means, full on go for it. as much as i love recording, sitting at home doing your thing can dull ones senses, and an opportunity to get out of the norm is pure inspiration, at least to me. sounds like a wonderful scenario with great potential for connections. plus, ween recorded there! good luck!
-travis

slochldrnplayin
ass engineer

Re: how much money should i get!?

Post by slochldrnplayin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:31 pm

brownshoes77 wrote: i'm not sure what is standard for an asst engineer to be paid for 3 weeks of work. anybody know who has been in a similar situation?
If it's a well know place and it's for that long, then chances are they have some sort of budget. I would hope the engineer would pay an assistant at least $15/hr. plus work out some kind of deal on travel arrangements. $1000 for three plus weeks of assisting doesn't sound like fun.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:40 pm

$9 to $15 an hour. No more, no less. I'm not sure what your $500 to $1000 figure is. Is that what the client is paying?

Low rate gigs usually pay for their own assistant. Those around $800 to $1000 a day, the studio pays the assistant. Regardless, you're not famous if your do this, but your assistance will be necessary.

Do your best documentation. Keep your mouth shut. Work methodically and stay ahead of the session. Oh yeah, don't eat all the snacks too- those are for the client!

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Get an hourly rate if you can. $10 an hour for an inexperienced assistant is acceptable. Just my thought on it, and that's what I pay new guys. Then again, I'm in FL. If you do 10 hour days for 24 days and get $1000, you'd be at $4 an hour. Or bite the bullet for the credits and experience if you can afford it and take the grand.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com