Building the PC dream-machine

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Building the PC dream-machine

Post by dirtmachine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:36 am

I know there are plenty of threads on this, but I figure since its an ever changing world in which we live in...

I am switching from a decrepit, electrocuting, overpriced powerbook 667 to the custom-built, super-bad-ass, at least as good as a G5 if not better for a fraction of a price, PC dream-machine. F@3* Apple!!!!

Anyway, since I know nothing I've been looking around. These are some useful sites I've found. Digidesign recommendations:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... emid=22766

Cheap parts:
http://www.newegg.com/

Not as cheap, but cool:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/

This thing looks bad-ass!! (But part of my mission here is cost, etc.):
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... ls_pc.html

Love to learn about other resources/hear opinions.

I'll miss Digital Performer, but that's about it.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am

Start with this classic PC thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=12407

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Post by dirtmachine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 am

Thanks for the tip. That's a really interesting thread.

One thing that Remiron said though, was that he felt that 64 bit computing was too young to be reliable. Maybe that was true in 2004, but now?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 am

dirtmachine wrote:One thing that Remiron said though, was that he felt that 64 bit computing was too young to be reliable. Maybe that was true in 2004, but now?
Yes, still true on the PC. WinXP 64-bit doesn't yet have good driver support, and there are very few native apps. Microsoft never really made a big push to get people over to WinXP 64. This may change with Windows Vista.

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Post by dirtmachine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm just putting up things that I think are interesting now...
Now that the Mac-wool has been pulled from my eyes I am learning things that many of you have probably known for a long time.

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb ... bTech.html

A middle of the road AMD 64 processor smokes dual-processor G5s on CPU usage. You can build a machine with an AMD64 3500 with a gig of RAM and plenty of disk space for less than $800. Use a motherboard built on the nForce3 chipset for lowest latency:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techin ... _tests.htm

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Make sure whatever your DAW software is, that it is compatible with the chipset. I can't remember correctly, but nforce3 might be a problematic chip set. Maybe search the engine.

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Post by dirtmachine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Admittedly I have no experience with any chipsets, I was just parroting the results of the RME test.

The ADK guys seem to endorse it as well:
Description:

based on the new AMD Athlon 64/ 64 939 and FX Processors. (same computer the owner uses)100 tracks+ and 60+ effects, low latency and great for VST. using the nForce 3 chipset its compatible with everything. With the 939 Pin there is nothing faster and by far the best for VSTi/Sampling
http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/view ... ecordid=61

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm

www.tigerdirect.com

Has some really good prices, ships really fast and all around rule... I've dealt with them for years and can't complain at all.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:29 am

kayagum wrote:Make sure whatever your DAW software is, that it is compatible with the chipset. I can't remember correctly, but nforce3 might be a problematic chip set. Maybe search the engine.
It's VIA and occasionaly ATI that have problems, according to past threads. NForce3 seems to check out OK. Sorry to misremember....

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:56 am

dirtmachine wrote:Now that the Mac-wool has been pulled from my eyes I am learning things that many of you have probably known for a long time.
so, you're learning that if you want to use a PC, you've either got to pay as much as a Mac to get a good one, or learn how to build them and configure them, and troubleshoot them yourself? sounds like fun! Chipsets, IRQ, Motherboards, Oh Boy!! :roll:

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:20 am

I will say again- Mac OS is no better (Now, which cat- I mean, which OS is compatible with which software? Is it compatible with the new Intel chips? Will my Macbook catch on fire)?

PCs can bite you, but so can Apples. Nobody is superior- what's so funny about peace love and understanding??

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am

I'm surprised it took so long for the first "windoze is teh sux lol" post to show up.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:20 pm

The only thing I can offer about Tiger Direct is that you should (maybe obvious) make sure that the item you are ordering says "in stock," because you can end up waiting months if they have to back order. Also, I would really not trust them for power supplies, my friend and I have both had bad experiences in that department.

On the other hand I built the compy I use today for around $400-500 four years ago with parts ordered from them, and it is only now starting to struggle. But that is because I have made a habit of experimenting with VST effects chains a mile long lately. Just order your Antec Sonata II case with a matching power supply from wherever you can find it.

dirtmachine
pluggin' in mics

Post by dirtmachine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
dirtmachine wrote:Now that the Mac-wool has been pulled from my eyes I am learning things that many of you have probably known for a long time.
so, you're learning that if you want to use a PC, you've either got to pay as much as a Mac to get a good one, or learn how to build them and configure them, and troubleshoot them yourself? sounds like fun! Chipsets, IRQ, Motherboards, Oh Boy!! :roll:
More like you've got to pay as much as a Mac to get the BEST one!

I love the mac os. I love Digital Performer. But when I saw the cpu usage stats on audio ease's web page, I felt betrayed. Shock and awe! A middle-of-the-road Athlon chip outperforming dual G5's? That's messed up.

And now that they've switched to intels there are only two things that you get for all that extra money:
1) a pretty box
2) OS X

I mean, I like pretty boxes and I like OS X....no viruses, that's cool.
Sigh...I can see why people get so into the whole Linux audio thing. When you really think about it, it sucks to have to give money to Microsoft or Apple. It's like the two-party system.

bocmaxima
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bocmaxima » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:39 pm

dirtmachine wrote:I can see why people get so into the whole Linux audio thing. When you really think about it, it sucks to have to give money to Microsoft or Apple. It's like the two-party system.
Well, not just Apple and Microsoft though, don't forget both those closed source OS's running mainly Commercial software. Not only do you have to buy the hardware and pay for the OS, you have to load it with software, and that costs some cash. The big draw to Linux Audio is that to set up a DAW costs only as much as the hardware. The downside is that some of the Apps arent nearly as polished as suites costing a grand. Eh, give and take. Stuff like Sweep (Stereo Editor) and Hydrogen (Drum Machine), is just as good if not better than something like Peak or Fruity Loops.
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.
-M. C. Escher
Shameless Self-Promotion
Shameless Self-Promotion: Redux