royer price hike

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: so...

Post by jmoose » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:21 am

2121TrumbullAve wrote:So you folks that own the r-121 - would you say that it is 'natural' sounding as advertised? Does it sound like what your ears hear, like it's advertised? This is important to me. It seems if this were true, people would find it a bit more versatile.
I guess it depends on how you want to define "natural" sounding.

To my ears, the 121 is dark.

Not in a muffled kind of way, but in a "doesnt' capture any fizz or top detail" kind of way.

On a piano the high keys don't sparkle and the low strings miss that purcussive attack. Acoustic guitars, even with the back of the mic have a great mindrange body but lack the top to either cut through a busy mix or just not sound like mud without a LOT of EQ. Same thing with overheads.

They do take EQ really well...but I'd rather use a mic that sounds "right" from the start.

I have a pair of Blue Baby Bottles, low serial numbers (like 44 & 47) that are pretty dark & I dig them as much as 121's on a lot of the same things like guitar amps, but that's a $500-600 mic...not a $1400 mic.

Supposedly they revoiced the Baby Bottle to make it more versatile, open it up a bit so it'll work on more things. All I know is that my pair is too dark & middy to use on vocals, overheads, all the same stuff I dislike the 121 on...but the BB rocks on electric guitars & horns so there 'ya go.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:29 pm

I also have a BLUE Baby Bottle that I like on amps, though I prefer the 121. When I put the 121 on my AC30, it perfectly rounds off the highs that are just a bit too peaky.

teamdresch
alignin' 24-trk

Post by teamdresch » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 am

I love the Royers as overheads, so there you go.
They capture such a good picture of the kit that you almost don't need any other mics.

Like them a lot on acoustic guitar too.

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

blue mics

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:48 am

It's not wise criteria, but I shy away from the BLUE brand because they look too "cute". The marketing for the baby bottle is all about looks and low price and "sounds good on everything!" - that to me is a red flag, and makes me not care to find out for myself how it sounds. And it ain't a ribbon, which is the color I'm looking for.

I'm sure it rocks for you BLUE users, however. I do wonder if they're USA made as well...
*insert pricey DAW specs here