if ever you need to buy something at guitar center . . .

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Tatertot wrote:Everybody google GTRC.

Do the GC employees get stock options?
I dont know, it looks like GTRC is at its lowest stock value in the last 2 1/2 years or so right now.

BAM
audio school graduate

Post by BAM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:43 pm

8th_note wrote:
Check the package too. I had picked out the Strat I wanted and played it for a while. It felt right. In between the time I put it down and paid for it, the f*ckers had swapped in a different guitar. They looked both surprised and sheepish when I demanded the original back.
I've had my problems at GC but that's one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. Why did they do that?
I can only speculate why they did that. An honest mistake? That's what I attributed it to at the time. Only later did I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I'm less than imposing as a guitar purchaser. I don't have any tattoos, and I do wear glasses.

The guitar they subbed in was the same in every way, but it had some dings. That's what I first noticed, then when I played it I went "heyyyy".
"Why don't those stupid idiots let me in their crappy club for jerks?" - Homer S.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 am

I hate Guitar Center. Damn. Unforunately they pretty much drove all the local shops out in less than 6 months. Rediculous. So now they are the only music store within 20 miles when there used to be one just down the street. I no don't have any repair shop should I need that service.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 am

BAM wrote: I can only speculate why they did that. An honest mistake? That's what I attributed it to at the time. Only later did I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I'm less than imposing as a guitar purchaser. I don't have any tattoos, and I do wear glasses.

The guitar they subbed in was the same in every way, but it had some dings. That's what I first noticed, then when I played it I went "heyyyy".
I had a similar "swap-out" thing happen to me there too with some monster cables that were on total blowout [usually I stick with mogami]. I searched and searched in the bin until I found some nice RCA pairs. I got home and found they'd swapped 'em out for 1/4" pairs. Creepy, if you ask me. Can't imagine that happening with a guitar though. That's super-creepy. :?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 am

I don't think I can take Guitar Center anymore. It's definitely in the top 10 of unhelpful, systemically dishonest companies I've ever dealt with. They've actually gotten alot worse in the last couple of years -- they used to just sort of leave you alone. Now they pressure you every time you ask a question. Even Musican's Friend has gotten worse since they merged with Guitar Center. About 6 months ago, a guy on the phone just straight up lied to me over the phone in a really chump-change way.

gauze
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gauze » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:55 pm

the drum section at GC is even worse than the guitar section as far as dudes playing shit when you are running in to buy a snare skin or something and you have to scream over some kid playing the same 2.4 seconds of YYZ the whole time you are there. god I can't form a sentence I am so pissed off just thinking about it.

tuggjohnson
audio school graduate

my main reason . . .

Post by tuggjohnson » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:53 pm

The bottom line is that guitar center sucks the big fat one, but for items (strings, cases, etc.) it's worth my while if I can save a few bucks (I live in LA, which doesn't help things). Here's good example regarding why I posted in the first place: After suffering through the intolerable amounts of noise and confusion upon entering, almost willing to plug my ears with my own testicles if that could end the horrible chatter and discord, I was able to pick up a pair of AKG 240 Studio headphones for $70 flat.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:00 pm

I don't know. Try www.pricegrabber.com. I'd probably rather lose 10 or 15 dollars than have my blood pressure go up to dangerous levels because some clown tries to haggle with me over a couple of guitar picks when I'm buying 2 grand worth of shit. I've gotten some phenomenal deals there, but it's wierd, I actually feel a physical revulsion when I go there. Plus I get this feeling that musical instruments aren't pieces of craftmanship but are these disposable consumer commodities hyped with all the balloons and cheap salesmanship. The place just plain makes me sick.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 pm

gauze wrote:the drum section at GC is even worse than the guitar section as far as dudes playing shit when you are running in to buy a snare skin or something and you have to scream over some kid playing the same 2.4 seconds of YYZ the whole time you are there. god I can't form a sentence I am so pissed off just thinking about it.
You know...that can even happen at a "cool" music shop. I remember, not too long ago, I was at Elderly Instruments. This is a fairly hip & well respected music shop dealing with mostly acoustic instruments, though they do also have a healthy selection of new and vintage electric instruments with an amp room. Anyway, an employee was walking around with a bass (unplugged) just f#^&@! WAILING away at the strings in one of the most grotesque displays of faux slapback bass string snapping ever. I mean, the dude was laying waste to those strings...with desperation. Granted, I'm no fan of slapback bass, but it pretty much triggered the 'angry android' switch in my head to a point where I couldn't even think straight. Something about the whole display, complete with sullen pretentious smirk was abrasive in a way that words can't describe. Probably the most I've ever been annoyed at a noise generated by a musical instrument. Maybe I was just havin' a bad day...

A few weeks later I heard, in the amp room, one dude playing slapback bass of a similar ilk, but this time of course through an amp along with another guy shredding like a madman in an attempt to invoke the spirits of his favorite hair metal guitar gods. I doubt the guys knew each other, but they did somehow get involved in quite the high and mighty 'jam session' that afternoon. We've all seen/heard similar scenes, but this was classic. Basically, two of the worst types of abuses that can be put to instruments and amps thrown together into a beautiful gelatinous cachopony. This actually was so bad and out there that it was funny. Maybe I was just havin' a good day...

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:23 am

go to musiciansfriend and look at the price of a firepod.

i got mine for $480, brand new, no tax.

you gotta learn to work the salesman and build a relationship.

and in texas you can have a tax free account. I don't pay tax on ANYTHING.. and i buy alot of stuff.. so the first time i get something for an awesome deal.. they have to give it to me for that price from now on.

learn to talk with them... they'll work out great.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:18 pm

go to musiciansfriend and look at the price of a firepod.

i got mine for $480, brand new, no tax.

you gotta learn to work the salesman and build a relationship.

and in texas you can have a tax free account. I don't pay tax on ANYTHING.. and i buy alot of stuff.. so the first time i get something for an awesome deal.. they have to give it to me for that price from now on.

learn to talk with them... they'll work out great.

BAM
audio school graduate

Post by BAM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:29 pm

billiamwalker wrote:learn to talk with them... they'll work out great.

Hey whatever works, good on you. I don't think the issue is that you can't get a deal (see original post), or even that their stores are often full of heinous noodlers (to be fair that's not limited to GC). For me the issue is: for less than savvy buyers, they are ever so happy to rip you off, sub in inferior merchandise and otherwise act like scoundrels. They also run local stores out of business, and in general behave like the Wal-Mart of the music equipment industry. I prefer not to give them any business.

I tend to shop at Zzounds.com these days (hardly local I know, but the only dealer in Iowa City, West Music, is like GC without the good deals). After many bad experiences in many different music stores, I prefer to buy from the comfort of my Mac. They've always responded well to any problems, and they have decent prices.

Cheers.
"Why don't those stupid idiots let me in their crappy club for jerks?" - Homer S.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:34 pm

I shop GC like I shop Best Buy or Circuit City - I take advantage of their loss-leaders and special sales. last time I was in GC was yesterday for the Labor Day sale, before that it was Memorial Day.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:35 pm

west music... i've definitely had my dealings with them. pretty wacky place, all in all- but i can't say all bad things, since i got my '72 ludwig kit from them in coralville. also, the guitar repair guy in the coralville store has done very good work on my g&l's... but yeah, west is the g.c. of small town iowa...

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 am

Tatertot wrote:Everybody google GTRC.

Do the GC employees get stock options?
Some of them do. I don't know about everyone, but when my brother worked for one of their subsidiaries, he did.

I hate to have to get on my GC soapbox, but I just ran out of coffee, so...

I will not give GC any more of my money. Bottom line. Besides the fact that the sales people are generally ignorant and obnoxious, the people who run the company are scumbags. My brother used to work for a company that got bought out by Guitar Center. He was a band instrument repairman and was treated so badly by (mis)management that he actually changed careers.

When the store opened here, an acquaintance who works at a local music shop got a job there. It looked like the local place was going to shut, because the owner wanted to sell and their lease was going to be up soon. He trained and help set up the store, and then right around the grand opening, his mother died and he had to leave town. Which basically meant the end of his "career" at GC. He had to quit because their grand opening was more important than his needing to leave town for a week to deal with his mother's funeral arrangements and other family stuff. Luckily for him, he was able to go back to his old job when he returned home and that place is still running for the time being.

FWIW, I had already decided to stop shopping at GC before things hit the fan with my brother, for all of the other reasons. I think it was the time I tried to buy a guitar case at the GC in Rochester a couple of years ago that put me over the edge. As if it wasn't bad enough in general to be stopped every time you walk 10 feet or look at something and be asked if you need help. And then if you do have a question, they invariably don't know the answer. Even if they give you an answer, it's wrong.

This guy took the prize, though. I was looking at the guitar case display. They had some of those SKB Freedom cases out, which I think are kind of chintzy. They also had one of the older style SKB bass cases out. I asked the sales idiot if they had any guitar cases in that style, or basically anything that wasn't the Freedom case. So the guy goes to the back room and comes back a couple of minutes later with another Freedom case and another, sturdier looking hardshell case. I asked what the price was on that case. He said he'd have to check and disappeared. Fifteen minutes later, I saw him at the register ringing someone out. I guess they didn't want to sell that guitar case too badly.

We're lucky enough to have a decent independent drum shop in this town, and they're expanding to include guitar and recording gear, which is nice. I already throw them all of my drum business and my guitar and other business goes to the rest of the local/regional shops. If I have to buy online, I do, but not from MF.