if ever you need to buy something at guitar center . . .

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tuggjohnson
audio school graduate

if ever you need to buy something at guitar center . . .

Post by tuggjohnson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Here's a few tips to remember if you HAVE to buy something at guitar center (many of you probably know this already--and remember a lot of the people working there are working the proverbial shitjob like the rest of us so courtesy always helps):

1) Haggle to your heart's content. The salepeople are instructed by management to NOT allow people to walk away after inquiring about a piece of gear.

2) Try to find out the base/cost price for the item in question is and use that as starting point. Sometimes the salesperson will look this up for you and sometimes they won't.

3) What ever price is ultimately agreed upon ask them to throw in strings or picks or other small items for free.

4) The more expensive the item the more money you should be able to save, even if it's already marked for sale.

These suggestions might be minor, but I've saved quite a bit. It helps to have friends that used to work at guitar center to give me the lowdown. Adios.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:06 pm

5) Find the best deal on the internet, print it out, and GC will match that price.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:32 pm

The Real MC wrote:5) Find the best deal on the internet, print it out, and GC will match that price.
you can usually do better then anything on the internet (that GC will match)
if you really spend the time at GC. once you get to where they won't move on the price. (as in the "manager" of the dept. is now involved and won't let the salesman go down more, or so they claim).. then go for the strings, or picks, or anything! plastic recorded. rack skrews.. make it seem like, your doing the favor. "i'll take that price if... " kind of crap. and do give up. i use to spend 3 or 4 hours haggling prices @ GC.. got some pretty damn good deals. and sometimes not.

panda

mus1k_freak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mus1k_freak » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:41 pm

or hit me up, i used to work there and still get employee discount on everything (stuff at cost) oh snap!

but yea just print stuff out and bring it in, at least youll get it for that price and not have t pay shipping
doctors practice, musicians perform

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:51 pm

But U have to pay sales tax :(
Will Drum For Money

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Dave-H wrote:But U have to pay sales tax :(
People around here complain about the city tax increases, then complain about the sales tax, then complain about the city tax increases, then complain about the sales tax, then complain about the city tax increases. Then they continue to buy everything over the internet.

I just shop local. And generally stay away from GC.

Ian

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 pm

6. Run in and I mean RUN in with your hands over your ears screaming "lalalalala i cant hear you". Dont stop to look at anything or anyone. See that kid over there weedling away on the multi-effects rack? I told you not to look at him!!! Now put your head down and grab what ever you need, but rememnber to keep your hands pressed tightly over your ears and keep screaming lalalalalala or you might accidentally hear the radio or whatever that stuff is they play in there *shudders, and soil yourself. Keep on screaming trhru check out and bag and recipt inspection until you are back out into the light of day, having saved 30 cents on your mic clip.
me make purty musick!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:19 pm

chovie d wrote:recipt inspection
That's my favorite part. Guilty until proven innocent.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:47 pm

these days, it's just not worth the hassle of haggling with morons, and proving to the new moron that you spend a lot of money there, just to save a small amount of money.

at my local (non chain) music store, they know my name when I come in. They know what the gear I'm asking about is for. And, they know if there's another logical option available. And, they usually cut me a deal that's close enough to GC's price to save me from having to deal with Guitar Center.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:10 pm

Everybody google GTRC.

Do the GC employees get stock options?

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:22 am

Only if you fail to mention it in your haggling.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:19 am

covert wrote:
Only if you fail to mention it in your haggling.
Often times I'll just say "here's the price I'm willing to pay to get out the door", and then I'll leave it to them to figure out how to adjust it so it includes tax.

bocmaxima
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bocmaxima » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:35 am

chovie d wrote: See that kid over there weedling away on the multi-effects rack? I told you not to look at him!!!
:lol:

Oh man, that made my sides hurt!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.
-M. C. Escher
Shameless Self-Promotion
Shameless Self-Promotion: Redux

BAM
audio school graduate

Post by BAM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:49 pm

John Jeffers wrote:
chovie d wrote:recipt inspection
That's my favorite part. Guilty until proven innocent.
Check the package too. I had picked out the Strat I wanted and played it for a while. It felt right. In between the time I put it down and paid for it, the f*ckers had swapped in a different guitar. They looked both surprised and sheepish when I demanded the original back.

The best advice is to boycott those not so nice folks.
"Why don't those stupid idiots let me in their crappy club for jerks?" - Homer S.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Check the package too. I had picked out the Strat I wanted and played it for a while. It felt right. In between the time I put it down and paid for it, the f*ckers had swapped in a different guitar. They looked both surprised and sheepish when I demanded the original back.
I've had my problems at GC but that's one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. Why did they do that?