Have you ever been given gear?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jonnystevens
audio school graduate

Have you ever been given gear?

Post by Jonnystevens » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 pm

I just had a couple friends long term loan/give me some gear.

Here's my list:

1978 Fender Super Reverb 410
1992 Gibson Les Paul Standard
M Audio Delta 1010
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9

Anyone else?

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Yup

Post by PublicMelody » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:02 pm

My only "fancy" piece of outboard processing is the Demeter VTCL2 that a friend gave me.

VTCL2: Vacuum Tube Compressor Limiter, 2 channel -- optical (of course).

Demeter stopped producing these a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why. Demeter gear seems to exist in a kind of no-mans land. I guess it's because they don't hype/market their products.
The compressor is pretty nice sounding. The controls are a little unusual, and I'm still trying to figure them out. I'm not sure I'm going to be using it on individual tracks because I have software that I like (Metric Halo ChannelStrip and +DSP plugs) which I find easy to dial-in the sound I'm looking for.

I've played around with using it on the mix bus, and it does do that "warm" thing pretty well. It's also stereo linkable, so what the phuque.

- Jim

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:29 pm

yes,
i have recieved, as well as given. it's a great feeling both ways, specialy when your helping someone out. though mostly low level gear for me.
misc synths, effect racks, and small mixers.

panda

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Yea - I had a guy I've only known for a year or so *Donate* a Yahmaha DX-7, a Korg Polly synth thing. A japanese Fender Start and a Fostex 1/4" 8-track.

Dontated on the idea that he could get free studio time. I agreed. He's oly been out to the studio once.

The 8 track is in pretty poor condition, and the strat is so so , but the two synths are great!!!
I have some really horrible gear!!!

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:44 pm

Yup. It's my experience that music gear rotates around. Borrowed, indefinitely loaned, traded, left, lost and stolen...

gotten:
SM57
peavey PA head
2 gigantic PA speakers
glockenspiel
drum set

given:
boss super overdrive
boss flanger
drum set
2 gigantic PA speakers (one last seen in an East Lansing, MI basement in 2002, the other now lives in the bay area somewhere)

... I could go on, but it's boring. A lot of my stuff has come from, and returned to, the great revolving wheel in the sky of music gear.

Jonnystevens
audio school graduate

Post by Jonnystevens » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:55 pm

Well I think this guy knew I was going to take great care of it for him. He's in school in England for the next 3 years at least and is pretty much giving up music. I've got the Amp in getting the filter caps redone and new speakers put in so I guess he was correct.

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:57 pm

I had a local studio engineer give me an old Ampex 300-4 transport unit along with the 4 351 pres. He was going to "take it to the landfill" if I didnt pick up......I was there in 2 hours....yeah true story...

Theron D

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 pm

Deltalab TimeLine digial delay
Audio Technica ATM 63HE mic
80's Peavey live mixer (collecting dust)
D&R 2000 console (collecting dust)
MXR Auto Flange (racked pair)
A box full of old cables and 10" speaker cones (all useless)
Sound Baffles
Ibanez SD-1 guitar pedal
Lyle hollowbody acoustic/electric guitar
A butchered/hacked up Musicman bass + case (both useless)
Rack flight cases

I think that's about it.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:39 pm

I think the only freebe I have is my 1937 Hammond BCV.

Of course the hernia/back pain did cost a bit to move it!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:52 pm

I've given away some random headphones and mics to a community radio station starting up in Boise.

I also gave away a Gina 20 sound card to a friend.

In return I have on long term loan:

2 Ampex mic pres (converted from reel-to-reel machines)
Great River MP2 (white face)
Great River NV
beyer m260

Straight up given:

some weird old air organ
a toy microphone with cool pitch shifting effect
and the kicker, an Otari 1" 8 track!
of course, the Otari doesn't work, but I'm getting it fixed up.
here's to hoping it's not a complete money pit!

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:32 pm

a box of cables and adapters, etc and I found two little Sony condenser mics in the bottom. a Lexicon Prime Time(later sold on eBay for a nice price:) old acoustic guitar that turned out to be really cool 70s Yamaha acoustic/electric....all kind of other stuff...too many to list...old computers, mics, etc. I always felt like I was one of those people everyone wants to give stuff to. I bet alot of Tape Oppers are that kind of people.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:38 pm

oh, and a Yamaha SPX90-II, which I never thought people would actually like. But I keep seeing it listed as a preferred effects box even today.
I just had to replace like 1 or 2 caps in the power supply.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:04 pm

Some ot the things I have been given:

Yamaha FG-365-S by a friend who is like a brother to me.

TL Audio dual valve mic pre-amp by friends who were crashing at my place while their house was being fixed.

Ensoniq Mirage- by a friend who was tired of dusting it in his small apartment.

1950s Gibson Tweed Lancer-all original except the tubes and filter caps by the same guy who gave me the keyboard. He already had 4 other amps. I told him I'd keep watch over it, but just giving it up like that doesn't seem right. At the time I was thinking it was one of those $2400 tweed amps all the "tone-junkies" spooge over. Turns out you can get them for about $200. But still, the thing is amazing.

Some of the things that I gave:

Hondo bass and a univox amp to a friend who wanted a bass but had no money. I am not sure I did him a favor.

Drum kit to the same friend.

a lot of mics. probably 5 or so SM57s, an Audio-technica's version of the SM58, two Astatic crystal mics to harp players, and a few I am not remembering right now.

too many guitar cords, mic stands, speaker cables, banana plugs, xlr-1/4in. transformers, etc. than I care to remember. And this is not counting the things that had "walked off."

3 home-made speaker cabinets, two of which have ended up back with me after having a few other owners.

A Fender Squier Fat Strat.

A Crate 1-15in bass cabinet.

a Hohner solid-state version of the twin reverb. Damn that was a great amp. I regret giving it to an alcoholic friend who later threw it down some stairs rendering it landfill.

This next one fits into both categories- I was part of this arts collective called "electric coffee" and there was a Tascam 3440 that was shared amongst the members. The collective dissapated and I ended up with the 4-track (a sweet machine). About 4 years later one of the former members came into town asking for it, he said he had a project. Of course I was thankful for the time I had with it and sent it on its way. Later I heard that he immediately pawned it and hooked up. Mofo.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

gitgrinder69
audio school graduate

Post by gitgrinder69 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:21 pm

A friend of mine just hooked me up with a Hammond organ, Fender Rhodes, upright piano and a cord organ. Sweetness. Check his music out at www.citysquirrel.com

Gabriel

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Tascam 80-80

Still wrapped Teac Real from the 70-80's

DBX Noise Reduction Unit

Teac 5B Mixer

And the king - a New England Digital Syncalvier - The whole system, including OS disks and manual.