Anyone replaced their Ipod battery?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hackneyed
pluggin' in mics

Anyone replaced their Ipod battery?

Post by Hackneyed » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 pm

I was going to buy a 2200 iPod battery for $20 and replace it myself. The website says that their battery has almost double the juice of an OEM Apple battery. Is this for real?

Apple replaces batteries for $60 or so.

I have a first generation iPod.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:30 pm

I'm not sure. I've read somewhere on a website theres a DIY battery replacement kit. I think it was on Cnet.com, I'm not sure. If it works, let me know, because I'm not looking forward to my ipod's battery going out.

baronvon
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by baronvon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:04 pm

I have a 3G and replaced my battery. I got it from ipod911.com. It worked great for about two or three weeks, but now it's back to it's old tricks. After some prolonged use (1-2 hours), the ipod seems to think it's dead when the hard drive spins up (ie. when changing songs). If you leave it alone for about 10 minutes, you can use it for another hour or so. It's really quite annoying.

Anyway, the battery isn't that hard to replace if you're comfortable opening up electronics. It's like a really, really small computer.

Bryan
www.polarpattern.com

Hackneyed
pluggin' in mics

Post by Hackneyed » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:37 pm

Did you buy the OEM Apple "Sony" battery or another company's?

I might go OEM even when other companies claim they get more juice. But then again, I bet I can score a cheap battery at Fry's.

-----

I lost my 2 Gig Nano and now I'm going to ressurect my first gen iPod. Built like a tank. I wish they still made them this way.

baronvon

Post by baronvon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 pm

It was some other brand, not an OEM one. You can check it out at www.ipod911.com. Good luck!

jessejamietig

Post by jessejamietig » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:32 am

I've replaced two batteries in my wife's and daughter's ipods. It's easy and I purchased the batteries at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/batteryreplacement/

They are good guys and have online instructional videos on how to replace the batteries. It also comes with tools.

By the way I replaced both batteries about a year ago, and they are still working fine.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:56 pm

got mine off ebay and swapped it easy cheesy, but I'm fairly handy at stuff like that.

if the battery life ain't hanging, check out the cable between the charger and iPod for a good connection- I had a friend that had that problem- he had to lean his ipod just so to charge it.

Also- update the software- I'v eread wehre the power management software gets outta whack, and even when the battery is full, the software says the battery is empty and shuts the ipod down no matter what...
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."