Ventilation for a small control room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

phillip haut
ass engineer

Ventilation for a small control room

Post by phillip haut » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:12 pm

I am looking for advice about ventilation.

I'm building a room for mixing in a room that's 16.5' x 14.5' x 9.5'. So far I've sealed all of the windows except one. I am on the second floor and outside of my window is the roof of the first floor. My plan is to put up 3 new walls within the room and a false ceiling. I'm concerned about airflow in this sealed room but I have an idea for a solution.

HERE'S MY IDEA:
EXHAUST: Instead of putting an exhaust fan in the window, I want to mount it in a box (an old bass cab sealed and weatherproofed with truck bedliner) and put it on the roof area just ouside the window with ducting coming in through the window and running between the existing wall and new wall to an opening in the new ceiling. The bass cab-exhaust fan box will sit on a cushioned pallet to reduce vibrations from traveling to my room or other parts of the building.

FRESH AIR: Is there fresh air in Huntington Park, CA? Anyway, though the same window I will put another duct for fresh air intake leading to a vent on the new wall somewhere closer to the floor. Another option would be to get one of those small AC units that sits in the room and sucks air through a duct mounted in the window.

Is this a good idea? Is there a better way to do this? I'm looking for opinions. I don't have a huge budget, but I'm willing to do what it takes to make this a comfortable room. I'm also looking for resources for puchasing the fan.

Thank you.