Cascade Fat Head Ribbon mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Madness
gimme a little kick & snare

Cascade Fat Head Ribbon mic

Post by Madness » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi Y'all. At a friend's recommendation, I just bought a pair of Cascade Fat Head ribbon mics. My buddy, a well-respected LA/Nashville engineer is blown away by these mics, particularly when you can pick them up for $300/pair. At $300, I am willing to take a gamble.

Any comments on these?

Thanks, and have a great evening.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Get a pair and do a review for Tape Op!

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Madness

cascade Fat Head Ribbon mic

Post by Madness » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey, the pair came yesterday, and WOW, they are fantastic. I've been working on guitars all week long, and just have used the standard 57 on any number of really good amps (Matchless Lightning 210, marshall bluesbreaker '62, '53 Fender Tweed Deluxe, etc...)

We immediately noticed a difference, a seemingly wider frequency range popping out of the speakers. Don't get me wrong- the 57 is still going to get used, but a ribbon on an amp... fantastic, and at the price- $300/pair, well, these are remarkable.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Looks like there will be a review in the Sept / Oct 2006 TapeOp--Cascade has the review posted on their site.

I have a Cascade M20 mic (which is the old version of their M20u)--got it for free when I bought something else, and it's ended up being a handy mic for me. So, the FatHead sounds interesting.

I have been thinking about getting a ShinyBox ribbon mic--I'd be curious if anyone has used both the ShinyBox and the Cascade, and has any comments / comparisons?

But, these mics are so relatively inexpensive, and have received positive reviews--so, they all seem like good deals.

Madness

Post by Madness » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:10 pm

yes, I am thinking of the Shiny Box, too. I am impressed with the build quality of the Fat Head mic as well as the sound.