Beyerdynamic M88 vs. Electrovoice RE-20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Beyerdynamic M88 vs. Electrovoice RE-20

Post by Regular Guy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:52 pm

They cost the same and I've seen them used for similar purposes. Which do you fellows prefer? I'd probably be using them for bass guitar amps, kick drums, vocals and occasional oddball uses. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket and i'm ready to go!

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Half and half?

I actually think the M88 is a bit clearer sounding and less directional than the re20.

I use the RE20 more though but usually on very specific things like..kick and bass cab. the m88 is a bit more versatile in my opinion, gets used on guitar, toms once in a while, snare, vocals it sorta like a bigger soudning SM57 or M201.

E
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Post by Regular Guy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Leopold wrote:Half and half?

I actually think the M88 is a bit clearer sounding and less directional than the re20.

I use the RE20 more though but usually on very specific things like..kick and bass cab. the m88 is a bit more versatile in my opinion, gets used on guitar, toms once in a while, snare, vocals it sorta like a bigger soudning SM57 or M201.

E

I was afraid it would be half and half. I'll probably just end up owning both of these mics eventually from what it sounds like...but for now I guess I'll just have to choose which to get first. Thanks for the input though

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:16 am

You might look at the beyer m99 as well. I think it may have its origin in the m88 but has a 3 position eq dealy. Very flat from 40 to 18k in the neutral position. I love it for voice, etc... but havent heard it compared directly to the other two.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:59 am

They're both great dynamic microphones.

The difference which sonically jumps out at you is the M88's much greater proximity effect.

Second, the M88 has higher output.

Third, the RE20 is cardioid pattern, where the M88 is hypercardioid.

The RE20 has what I would call a "thick" or "opaque" sound across its range. The M88 sounds "silkier" or "more transparent" to me. How's that for subjective terms?

The RE20 makes a better weapon.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:30 am

I've got an M88 and can vouch for it being a great mic. Excellent kick drum choice and sweet on guitar amps...not to mention other things. Of course, I'm also wanting an RE20 and just recently have begun to seriously think about buying one of those.

I did want to pipe in and suggest that you not overlook the little brother of the M88, the Beyer M69. I'm not sure about the specific design differences, but have noticed it seems a little thinner on the low frequency end, but offers a really nice open sound akin to the M88's tone. I've noticed that, while the M88 is well known and everyone wants one and even the used mics go for near new prices, the M69 just passes under everyone's radar. You can get them on Ebay pretty cheap. I think I got mine (an original M69NC) for, like, $65 or so. That qualifies as a great deal in my book. You could pick up a used M69 and get an RE20 along with this and 'sort of' get both flavors you're looking at. I should note that I'm not sure the M69 would cut it on kick drum (that being one of the M88's favored uses), though I haven't tried it out there yet so who knows...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:24 pm

The RE20 has always worked better on a wider variety of sources for me. I dont even own an M88 anymore, though they are pretty cool. Just not enough low end for the kick, and too much for guitar, and too weird a midrange for most bass amps...

Just my opinion, the RE20 is a much more useful all around studio microphone than the M88..