Best All-Around Guitar Amp ~$1000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Best All-Around Guitar Amp ~$1000

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a new guitar amp, something that's versatile in the sounds it produces. I probably don't need anything over 40 watts, something that could be driven effectively for recording and sound good projected out into a small club setting. I play a fender strat with two stock pickups and a humbucker. Some of my favorite guitar sounds in bands are Low, Built to Spill, Bowie, Pedro the Lion, Quasi and Deerhoof (though I'm not sure how much the engineering has to do with the sounds I'm hearing on the records.) Also, my budget is $1000.

Sorry if this thread has been done to death, but I trust your ears. Any suggestions?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:24 pm

used vintage fender twin reverb perhaps..??

I dunno probably the most common and versatile amp..in your budget too I think..

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:31 pm

Twin Reverb is a good all around amp.

For the styles you mentioned, however, maybe you could go with something more British sounding; an el84, early break-up, "Class 'A'" kinda amp...

An Orange AD15 possibly?
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:47 pm

That's a pretty decent range of tones... but I'd go with a Maz 18 Jr or a Super Reverb.

uniquebassplayer
gettin' sounds

Post by uniquebassplayer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:50 pm

My opinon is Super Reverb also. I've heard the prettiest clean sounds out of one and some of the meanest break-up. The Twin is also a very good option but I don't think it breaks quite the same way the Super does.
Good Luck,
-e

Submersible
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Submersible » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:54 pm

Maz 18 Jr is my favorite amp in production today. Just perfect on so many levels.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:23 pm

check out the Savage Macht 12. It's a badass amp.

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:25 pm

how do the super reverb reissues stack up? i haven't seen any originals in the shoppes around here on my recent tours. thanks for all the advice guys, i think i might write these down and see if i can find any to test out tommorrow on my day off.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:30 pm

Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue, ~$800 new.
my band: Mission 5

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:44 am

Definitely go with a Super Reverb! You'll get awesome reverb and tube tremolo too. I think the guy from Low uses a Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux or something like that. Add a Rat/Big Muff and you're golden!!!!

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:52 am

Check out the Vox Valvetronix amps - not the ones with chrome speaker screens, you want the AD60TVX or AD120VTX with 15 different amp models. I used to play through Fenders, Marshalls, Boogies, you name it. The Valvetronix does a great job on modeling vintage amps.

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:15 am

Good question. It really depends on the rooms you're playing in the most. I have a 1964 Super Reverb that I like to use for festivals and larger venues. Supers really are great amps but they can be loud. Twins a very clean, but again, loud. For smaller venues I use a 65 deluxe reverb or a 1962 Tremolux.

I have a few other fender and electro amps that I use as well but my favorite all around amp is the fender Bassman. It has a ton of natural compression, it can be clean or warm, it looks like a little whore and I got it for $500.

The drawback with Bassman is that you'll need a stand alone reverb unit (if that's your thing). I use a 63 reissue and a Tremodillo.

With the exception of the Super, I got all of my amps for well under $1,000.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:55 am

I will 3rd the Twin Reverb! I have a '71 silverface with no mods and it is the best sounding amp I've owned in 21 years of playing guitar. I've owned Marshalls, Dr. Z, Music Man(also excellent), and more. I love my Twin more than any other. I paid $750 for mine.

inky
studio intern

Post by inky » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 am

I think twins are way too loud for the majority of circumstances. A silverface Fender Princeton Reverb in good condition can still be had for well under $1000.00. Tagboard cinstruction, blah de blah. Get it serviced, maybe stick one of those nice Weber speakers in it or, if you want go nuts, you can get a 12" baffle and install any good 12" speaker, including the venerable Celestion blue.

That amp will do incredible Fender cleans, it will do an almost Vox esque chime because of it's class A output. and it will overdrive and distort beautifully. I'm in the camp that thinks the small Fender amps are the best they ever made. I had a nice Deluxe Reverb once and even that sounded noticeably less sweet to my ears than either a Princeton or Champ.

I hear alot of good things about Dr Z. amps. We don't really get them in the UK but they're boutique, affordable and everyone who has them loves them.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:23 am

I don't think you need to spend $1000 unless you WANT to.

Lots of options. My personal favorite setup right now is a Sovtek head (MIG60) into a 2x12 Fender Bassman cab. I'm seeing more Fender Pro Jr and Blues Jr in clubs lately, and they always sound great.