Best All-Around Guitar Amp ~$1000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:21 am

curtiswyant wrote:No pedal...EVER...is going to get the sound of a cranked tube amp.
I agree. There's just a global obsession right now that an amp has to break up to be relevant, and I think that's why Twin's are currently a good deal. They're great, clean amps.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:36 am

I used to have a twin reissure, and I got rid of it. There are much better amps for recording. The twin has to get incredibly loud before it breaks up. I wouldn't even recommend that amp for gigs, unless you have a guitar with active pickups. I bought a little black Fender amp with one speaker (all tube), I can remember the name (Deluxe or something), that works alot better.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 pm

hammertime wrote:I used to have a twin reissure, and I got rid of it. There are much better amps for recording. The twin has to get incredibly loud before it breaks up. I wouldn't even recommend that amp for gigs, unless you have a guitar with active pickups. I bought a little black Fender amp with one speaker (all tube), I can remember the name (Deluxe or something), that works alot better.
i think anyone that buys a twin to hear it break up has got a few screws loose. doesn't mean it's a bad amp for recording (especially if you want great clean tones or prefer using a pedal for overdrive), just depends on what you're after. there are lots of versatile 40-watt or smaller amps for under 1k out there that'll do the job the original poster had in mind. what about a reissue Vox AC30 or AC15? btw, i've heard not great things about the newer ones, so i might stay away from one of those. i have a 15tbx reissue made in the early nineties that i love for recording, crunches VERY nicely, and much louder than you'd expect from 15 watts (for larger venues, just run it through a PA)- my only complaint has been the weak and rattle-prone reverb tank, but that's certainly fixable.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:50 am

Hammertime, Hammertime...

This is your world.

I am merely a guest grateful just to be passing through it.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:25 am

Yeah, you know I'm kinda tired of carrying that Twin around. What's sometihng smaller with great tone that's close to as loud? I'd probably still hang on to my Twin for recording, but it'd be damn nice to have something great that's not as heavy.

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:52 pm

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I decided on a Fender Super Sonic Combo. Pretty faithful aproximations to the Bassman and Vibrolux tones to my ears (I A/Bed them with the real things in the store), and a scortching dirty channel! Now, time to ration my supply of Ramen noodles to last me a few months.

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Dudes, whatta bout a "hot plate" or the Marshall "power break"? You can use those to get the Vox Ac30, Fender Twin or Super, or what have you break up at quieter levels. But for me, I ain't draggin out my sweet vintage amp collection to a heavy rock n roll gig in the middle of winter. Solid State for playing out, and for me, it's all about the Peavey Session 500 Mark 4. Yank the 15" out, Built a case, plug it in to a 4X12 and yer good to go at any volume in any situation.

But that's one man's opinion.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

sethmeister
pluggin' in mics

Post by sethmeister » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:34 am

Yep, I finally broke down and went the attenuator route. I bought an Ultimate Attenuator. Works very nicely.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 pm

You can't have just one amp..... and you know it!!!! For the studio.... if I had to pick a few.... Deluxe Reverb, Gibson GA 6, Vibrochamp, small 1X8 Supro, Harmony H 303A, AC 15 (vintage, or 90's Korg reissue), Marshall studio 15. That will do it for recording......

Live..... probably a Pro Reverb.... or some other flavor of 2-6L6 Fender.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:55 am

I was going to say something about a hot plate, I have an Ampeg VL501 with a power soak which is great for recording and if you are up for it, maintaining the volume/sound balance through a live set. The amp eats up tubes faster than my Orange and Twin combined, and there isn't really that much flavour to the sounds.....not a great amp, but it has its benifits.

they go for $400-$500 for 50 watts, 2 channels, reverb.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Guitar sound is so objective.
I've owned over 30 amps over the years and the Fender Twin would be one of my last choices ( better than a Peavey or Crate, though)
They just don't sound good to my ears no matter what I try. A Super or Deluxe Reverb is a far better choice if you want a Fender.

My suggestion for the best all around amp would be an AC15 or AC30 with an attenuator. The new ones have a good sounding master volume and reverb I believe.
The other choice would be an old 50 watt Marshall (pre 1984). They can get a surprisingly wide range of distorted and clean sounds.

Kirk

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:46 pm

A vote (as I have cast before) for the older Musicman stuff. I have a 65 head that is really not the ticket for dimebag darrel style thrashing, but great for the types of sounds that appeal to middle aged men like myself. It has also become the standard for a recording bass amp, when I send it through a PA speaker.

I think the Musicman stuff is an incredible value right now.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:35 am

Silverjet89 wrote:Guitar sound is so objective.
Didn't you mean "sujective"?

Just checking... :)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:20 am

vvv wrote:
Silverjet89 wrote:Guitar sound is so objective.

Just checking... :)
it could be objective for him, but subjective for you...well, ok, maybe not.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:51 am

Guitar sound is so objective.

Actually, I meant objectionable.

No, you're right, Subjective. I was probably drunk.