tracktion help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

tracktion help

Post by bradfromtampa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 am

i've just started using tracktion and I can't get something right. When I record a guitar track, and try to do a punch in, the original audio won't play anymore. I'm sure there is some simple setting I'm overlooking, I've tried looking through the manual and can't seem to find the answer, maybe I'm not looking in the right place, maybe i'm just too impatient.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:14 am

I'm not sure I understand. You record a track, you can hear it playback, see the wave form etc. Then when you record in punch mode the track no longer plays back?

IM new to tracktion but some overly simple possibilities might be:
-you have a track solo'ed or muted
-however you are inputting your guitar requires e to e enabled for whatever reason
-track is not outputting to the proper device

some guess from a fellow newb.
me make purty musick!

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:34 am

hmmm... not sure. Describe what yr doing in a little more detail. You'll prolly get more help over at the Tracktion forum on KvR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:07 am

i recorded a guitar track, needed to punch in over my mistakes. I'd set up the markers, record the patch, play it back and the original track will not play, but the patch i just recorded will play...

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:42 am

Is the punch on a different track from the orginal? Do you have looping enabled? Do any other tracks play?

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:31 pm

i made sure i was not in loop mode. i haven't created a new track, just recorded on top of the old one....

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

flanneljammies wrote:hmmm... not sure. Describe what yr doing in a little more detail. You'll prolly get more help over at the Tracktion forum on KvR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22
Have you tried the nice people at kvr yet?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:47 pm

I ask because I am curious. I do punches with Tracktion far more than I would ever normally admit, using a Tascam US122, and this is the darnedest thing I've ever heard. Let us know when you figure out what you were doing wrong (assuming that the computer is infallible, of course)

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:52 pm

you're still a bit unclear - you are recording a punch over the original guitar track. are you saying that when you get to the punch point, all other audio stops playing?

what other tracks are there that you aren't hearing? bass, drums, keys, etc?

honestly, the way you've written it out, it almost sounds like you've recorded a track of guitar, you punch over a section, and then you can't hear the original guitar at that point - of course not, you've recorded over it!
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:43 pm

yes, please elaborate whether you mean the entire L/R output of your other tracks stops palying, or whether you mean the track you're recording to.

Wehn you clik on the input icon, the one you drag around to the track you're recording to, there's an option to overlay new recordings, or overwrite. If you select overwrite, you should hear the part under that.

i'm at work, but can help you more when I'm home tonight in front of the computer.

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:49 pm

oh o.k. i see what everyone is asking... didn't get much sleep. i record the guitar track, then do the punch. now i have the original track with the punch. when i listen back to the song from the beginning. the original guitar track does not play, but when it gets to the punch in, i can hear the what i just recorded, then when it gets past that clip, it's silent.

does that make sense?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:34 pm

can you still see the old clip there....the waveforms?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:30 pm

and just to clarify, you mark the inpoint by hitting 'i' and the out by hitting 'o' and you've enabled punch mode, right? Then you start the cursor and press 'r' to record, and the input is set to "replace old clips'

Are you using v.1 or v.2?

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:42 pm

yes, i've done all that. the waveforms are still visible too.. this has been racking my brain, i know there has got to be something simple that i'm not doing right....

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:31 am

honestly, the way you've written it out, it almost sounds like you've recorded a track of guitar, you punch over a section, and then you can't hear the original guitar at that point - of course not, you've recorded over it!
-he'd still have the portion of the old track there underneath his punch in unless he deletes that section of the old track. Punching in does not delete whats under it. That doesnt solve his problem tho, nor can I figure out whats going on. I'll be curious to see how this works out too
me make purty musick!