Hey, thats my song!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Hey, thats my song!

Post by Kyle » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:14 pm

For those of you who have licensed your songs for use in film/tv/other commercial uses, how much did you charge for a limited licenses of that song? What about a corporate training video or pod cast?

What do you think is a fare rate for the use of a song? I am hearing a lot of indie bands on television commercials lately.
Kyle

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:38 pm

I would check with ASCAP or BMI, which ever one you use and find out if there is a standard rate that you would be paid for the television airplay. For the corporate training video that's a little more tricky since there really wouldn't be any regular repeated airplay that would earn you money from those two entities, but maybe Harry Fox could shed some light on that one.
Of course, generally places that are doing that kind of production would be looking for a single price, royalty-free buy out on the use, so I'm not sure if they would pay the ASCAP fees or what. Either way that's a good place to start.

And it wouldn't be such a bad idea to call around to other guys that do that sort of work routinely and see what they charge. Act as though you are putting together a corporate video and you might like to hire their services. Then at least you know what the competition in town is charging as well.

-Jeremy

grilla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by grilla » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 pm

I licensed 4 songs for a documentary, showing on NBC, nationwide, one time only, for $250 a song with another $250 per if they were to re-air or release it. This was my first and only experience with licensing other than letting filmmaker friends have stuff for free. I wonder if I got a fair price?

I would like to get to a point where I can do this more often. It was really cool hearing my music on national television!! (Not to mention nice to be paid as well!)
Peace & Respect

http://www.myspace.com/grilla
http://www.themanorstudio.com

The Manor Recording Studio
Los Angeles, CA

fireproof
pushin' record

license

Post by fireproof » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:39 am

Also remember whatever fee you get for the master (recording) you should get the same fee for the publishing.
and make sure if it is something that will air on tv or cable that you put your publishing info and bmi or ascap name in the paperwork so it ends up on the cue sheet an you get those royalties from broadcasts in the usa and the rest of the world
this can often add up to way more then the original fee.

Adam

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:46 pm

I have a couple songs in crap movies.
Everytime they play on HBO at 2am I get like $200.
I'm always happy when they do.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:00 am

Thanks for the responses.
Kyle

Dirk
audio school

Post by Dirk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:16 pm

I am curious if you can recommend a good way to go about getting music into films TV etc..