TOMB ribbon mic modifications??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

squizo
pushin' record

TOMB ribbon mic modifications??

Post by squizo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:43 pm

I know, Im a little late in the game, but i cant find a thread i saw a long time ago as to what the consensei was on modding these guys. I just got around to cracking mine open to try out.....i remembered one thread where folks were ripping out the inner grill and taking the so called sock off....i've done that, major improvement....but im ready to get crazy.....trannys, cross dressers you name it.

transform me
or
transport me to a thread

thanks

ps. i did try to search for it but the site is gaming on me.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:38 am

another easy one after the grill mods--stuff the cavity by the transformer with decent audio-type foam. That helps too and takes about 2 minutes.

i'd love to know some transformer upgrades too! the mics are almost there with the grill and body mods...i have a feeling they could be a lot better!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:15 pm

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 pm

I put the cinemag transformer in mine. It sounds good, but I haven't used it too extensively since that, so all I know is it sounded good with me saying "Testing 1, 2.". I may do some of the other mods as well, it will be used a lot on a session next weekend so I will have more to report at that time.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:41 pm

If anyone has Chinese transformers left over after upgrading they have no use for, please send them to me. I'll pay shipping. Thanks.

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:20 pm

I'm also interested in Fixing/upgrading my TOMB ribbon mic. I bought two and one arived with a considerable amount of noise and I just haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I also plan on replacing the transformers and would love to hear any stories/successs/failures
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes