Mic placement... where? PICS

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

caseybasichis
pluggin' in mics

Mic placement... where? PICS

Post by caseybasichis » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to quiet the room reflections in my vocals. Am I better keeping my mic where it is (see pic) or moving it to where the closet is pointed towards the closet? (I plan to hang a comforter in front of the closet)... Any other ideas considering my room? How much would that SE Reflexion thing help? Would adding some 703 (anyone know where to get it in San Francisco?) to the wall opposite the brick wall and possibly the ceiling be a better option? How much effect would it have?

Thanks,
Casey

The lens is pretty wide, the room is about 11 X 35, Maybe 22' from the closet to the window.

Image[/img]

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:22 pm

A few more deer heads might deaden things up...

caseybasichis
pluggin' in mics

Post by caseybasichis » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I had a dream about 19th century brass and steam science and the pursuits of English gentlemen... I decided it would be the theme of my apartment.

Thus the brass/gold hanging Christmas balls hanging all over the ceiling... Funds/Space are limited.

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm

I thought those English gentlemen went for foxes...

I like the look. Cool bricks.

Aiming your sound source at the closet will make a difference, certainly, but whether it's gonna be better or worse - you'll just have to experiment. Looks like the only place you've got room for any sort of treatment would be the ceiling. Having some carpet to roll out might also be a way to change things up.

-m

caseybasichis
pluggin' in mics

Post by caseybasichis » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Yeah... I got them off craigslist from some very flaming hunters from Guerneville (It's a very odd combination)... I'm really pining for a bear rug but at the moment its food/rent v.s. bear rug... even when I do have money instruments usually beat it out... I'm playing the lottery.

I do have a 5 x 7 carpet similar to the one by the window under the pedal steel... I forget what they're called... The thick expensive detailed ones. Would it absorb the right frequencies? Maybe a foam mat under it as well? I hate the way it messes with the flow of the room, but I really do need to get over the "living space head" and get into the "recording studio" mindset...

LewKellogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LewKellogg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:24 am

I would keep it simple: Use a cardioid pattern and stand so that when singing your back is to the clothes under the platform bed. Hang a duvet or blanket from the platform top to cover the space behind you. You?ll also need something for the wall that is now on your right side. Another blanket would work well. I think you?ll be surprised at just how much of a difference a think blanket or curtains can make when placed behind you.

The other option would be to do the same thing by hanging a blanket on the window where you are now and move the mic closer to the window. Keep your back to the window of course.

Just a couple of suggestions.
Lew
Kings Mill Audio
"Oh that magic feeling, Nowhere to go"...

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:43 am

Where is that apartment? NYC? the layout is very NYC.

Don't you have crazy strange reflection coming off that brick wall opposite the speakers? Do your mixes translate well? Just curious.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

caseybasichis
pluggin' in mics

Post by caseybasichis » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:10 am

San Francisco, actually.. All my friends want me to move to New York though... I suppose my old school, CalArts, is sort of a spring board there. I don't think I can handle the weather. It's so pretty and laid back here.

I'll try the comforter thing to see if I can get some better results with that. I let you know how it goes later today.

Mixes? Eeek yeah... Its certainly not ideal. I'm quite thoroughly broke at the moment (out of work untill the fall... hopefully...) but I'm considering doing a diy 703 job ( http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=38067 )... There was a bad shooting in front of my house a few days ago, a bunch of people got shot. The rent is super cheap but the neighbor hood is awful. I might end up moving before all is said and done.[/url]

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:04 pm

I almost might think that singing a few feet out of and towards the closet with as many big clothes in there as possible would be best. I would make some moveable panels of 703 and you could make gobos around the mic, That's the best, remove the room!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

BR Audio
audio school

Post by BR Audio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:51 am

I second that.
Also if you want to treat the walls a little, specially around your mix area, you can build a few panels your self, or look into some of these guys:
http://www.auralex.com/partscience/audi ... e__Gallery

people are getting great results with these, but they are not super cheap.

good luck

Gil