Need advice about the politics of Scheduling

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:34 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:A good friend of mine was a studio manager in Los Angeles. I worked with her when I was running/assisting at Secret Sound. Anyhow, later on, as I began freelancing, I used to contact her at Royaltone Studios for some projects I had on the go. If the days were open, we were in for a good rate. It seemed like our sessions were set. Then, I'd get a call from her a few days later saying that the time we had on hold (we could not give a deposit to hold) was currently going to a higher paying client. She consistently booked in bidding war fashion. Pretty interesting and totally f---in annoying. She was the only person I knew who ever booked like that, but I do know many who work on the 'bumpable session' premise.
Same thing happens here in Minneapolis. I once booked a local session rate at a large, well known studio and the owner warned me that those dates could get bumped if someone willing to pay full-price wanted those dates.

My nerves were on end about it. Fortunately the session worked to our favor but a different session 6 months later (booked 4 months in advance) got bumped. Even just that one time pissed me off... plus they cancelled on me two days before my clients were coming in. We rescheduled at a different studio but we had to wait another month both because of the other studio's schedule and my clients trying to get new dates off from work. That makes me look like the ass. I'll never book a place on my clients behalf that has that attitude. If it means paying full-price cuz we really really want to go there, so be it, I guess... but what a cruddy thing to deal with.

The ironic thing is that studio that did that to me (and others as well) have always been hurting for cash and really wanted to promote the studio for locals (encourage them to come in and record) well, that's not the way to do it.

end of my rant,
-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:26 pm

I don't always take deposits, once a client shows they are dependable, we work on a handshake. For everyone else, I tell them it reserves the slot. If someone else needs that slot and brings a deposit, it's theirs, and I let the band know this. Like chris said.

If a client is late the first session, I still charge them from the time we were supposed to start, and I say I thought you were a "no show", but took a chance that you may have gotten lost, next time call me and let me know what you are doing.. If they are late again with no phone call, I leave after 45 minutes.

It's funny how a band will start calling to let you know they are running behind once they show up with all their gear and musicians and no one is there to record them.

If they don't respect my time, I don't work with them anymore without payment in full ahead of time. I have too much else I could be doing. Don't be afraid to ask for the money, take control of your schedule. If they don't want to leave a deposit, how serious are they?
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:58 pm

OK, I have one more question for everyone:

When you get a deposit, is it non-refundable as of right then, or is it
refundable up until, say, 24 hours before the session...?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:01 pm

For me, it's non-refundable, but reschduleable with 72 hours' notice.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:51 pm

mertmo wrote:OK, I have one more question for everyone:

When you get a deposit, is it non-refundable as of right then, or is it
refundable up until, say, 24 hours before the session...?
Look at it this way. Take enough of a deposit to cover at least 2 hours of your time. If they blow you off, you are at least covered for the time it took to set the session up, be there prepared, and pay any assistants you may have thought you were going to need, gas, etc. All in the expectance of a paycheck that night.

No, the deposit does not get returned. Never on a blow off. And they know this when they leave a deposit to hold the studio for them. It leaves you with no time to fill the slot. I may credit their next session if their story is believable enough, and if it's not, I'll charge them for the whole session they booked. If they book again, they are in the "pre-pay in full" category, or they don't get a slot. I don't screw around with your music, don't screw around with my money. Fair's fair.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Awesome. Thank you for the replies. This sounds perfect to me:
For me, it's non-refundable, but reschduleable with 72 hours' notice.