Best $50 I've ever spent on gear

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

high five
gettin' sounds

Best $50 I've ever spent on gear

Post by high five » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Yesterday I bought a 100ft mic cable so I could mic stuff downstairs without dragging my whole setup down there. I just leave a mic plugged in down there, and I'm using it all the time on the piano. There's a cricket that lives near the window, I recorded him for later use as a click track (or pitch shifting to create a cricket choir). Just now I recorded a short guitar thing and put the mic on the staircase, left my bedroom door open, and got some really cool reverb. I'm going to try the bathroom at the end of the hall next.

One question: I'd like to get a 100ft 1/4" cable to hook up a speaker for playback. Then I can do overdubs in another room. Or I could playback a mix in the bathroom and get some reverb, only having to move the mic and the speaker. The guy at the store told me I'd have to make my own. That's okay, but will I have a problem with signal strength? Could I use it with headphones (my Firebox headphone amp is extremely loud, at 40% I am in pain) too? I would be in heaven.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 pm

bniesz wrote:if you HAVE to run an unbalanced instrument line,
use a passive DI on each end to balance and level it.
I think kputnam wants to run a speaker, not an instrument line. 100' isn't a problem, just make sure you get some decent cable.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:36 am

Call me crazy. How about getting a 100ft AC extension cord and using wiring that up as your speaker cable?

I've actually been meaning to wire up some adapters so I could convert 3-pronged AC to 1/4". I'd have to clearly label things so the interns don't do anything stupid though :)

Roger

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 am

Rodgre wrote:Call me crazy. How about getting a 100ft AC extension cord and using wiring that up as your speaker cable?
You're crazy! Actually, I hadn't even thought of using speaker cable. I was going to use regular 1/4" at line level and use a powered speaker. But speaker cable is a good idea, I could control the volume on the master speaker from my 'control room' and put the 'slave' speaker wherever. It's probably cheaper than 1/4" too.

I think I'll get both speaker cable AND 1/4in cable. Then I can do all kinds of cool things, like
1. Do overdubs in another room (monitor mix with headphones or powered speaker)
2. Have one monitor in the control room and the other run with speaker cable to an 'echo chamber' (bathroom)
3. Both #1 and #2 at the same time (need another mic cable)

I'm getting the vapours just thinking about it!
bniesz wrote:if you HAVE to run an unbalanced instrument line, use a passive DI on each end to balance and level it.
While I'm not planning to run an instrument line, I think you answered my (poorly-phrased) question. So, a balanced line (XLR or balanced 1/4") won't give me trouble at long lengths, and if I need unbalanced, use a DI. I see this has been discussed ad nauseam, sorry for beating a dead horse... I ought to use the search next time :?

One other question: is running a long balanced 1/4" from my 'headphone out' a bad idea? I get the impression headphone amps are meant only for short cable lengths.

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 am

But speaker cable is a good idea, I could control the volume on the master speaker from my 'control room' and put the 'slave' speaker wherever. It's probably cheaper than 1/4" too.
Not only that, but speaker cables are designed to carry signals over long distances without too much loss. Also, they don't need to be shielded, because there's no amplification at the end of the cable to magnify hum, etc...

And yeah, in my experience, running a long unbalanced line can be a huge pain in the ass. Much better to go balanced (XLR or TRS) if you can do it.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 am

Rodgre wrote:I've actually been meaning to wire up some adapters so I could convert 3-pronged AC to 1/4". I'd have to clearly label things so the interns don't do anything stupid though :)

Roger
I've been thinking about trying something like this. Let me know how it works out for you!

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:25 am

I'd recommend you go to like Home Depot or Lowes and pick up 100' of plain old every day 12awg. "zip cord"... two strands, not orange, and significantly less expensive.

Best of luck with it.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Rodgre wrote:Call me crazy. How about getting a 100ft AC extension cord and using wiring that up as your speaker cable?

I've actually been meaning to wire up some adapters so I could convert 3-pronged AC to 1/4". I'd have to clearly label things so the interns don't do anything stupid though :)

Roger
you might accidentally get some uh "phantom power"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Fletcher wrote:"zip cord"... two strands, not orange,....
Alright, I'll bite.

Why not orange?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Kevin S
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kevin S » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 am

Because the orange color on the SO cord will drop the audio resolution down and it will just sound bad. It should be standard knowledge, but I read it in a Yamaha Live sound and recording book from B&N.

Not it's just a ugly color.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:39 pm

A freind of mine built 50' speaker cables out of lamp cord. Worked great.

Later he had a cable built into the wall terminated on one side with speakon connectors, the other end 1/4". Perfect for reamping or tracking in the control room.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:26 pm

Man, I'd have to say it's the subscription to EQ to be able to read those articles laced with Joel Hamilton's name!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:03 pm

Orange is a hard colour to match with many modern decor choices.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:31 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Man, I'd have to say it's the subscription to EQ to be able to read those articles laced with Joel Hamilton's name!
That new one with Dub Trio is pretty fun... I was talking the whole time they were taking pictures. Like an idiot. I am always babbling about something....

;)