Guitar geeks, help me find an amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:46 am

kayagum wrote:
I don't know which "version" is better, but the versions I've seen have to do with the dials & labels:

One version spells "Presence" as "Presense". Rubber/PVC knobs. I have this particular version, and it's great, clean or dirty! And I love the "Presense"- very X-Files!

Another version I've seen has Russian labels and chickenhead knobs. I'm pretty sure I've also seen English labels (with Presence properly spelled) with chickenhead knobs.

The MIG60 is versatile- multiple impedance outs are available, and it's voiced well so that the character of the speaker cabs come out. I've used mine with a Marshall 4x10, a Bassman 2x12, a Showman 2x15, and even a Weber 1x12 in a Fender cab. Dark and beefy, but not oppressive. And certainly more gutsy than the "precious" clean amp sound.

I think you can find these for cheap, but I've noticed a price boost lately. Got mine for $250, and I've seen them for as high as $600 recently.

Yeah, that midget 50h I saw on Craigslist was going for $300, and I missed it unfortunately. I'm finding that the Mig60s are going for the $400 - $600 range on ebay, so I may have to hold out and find one locally. Luckily I don't need an amp right away (but of course, I *want* one right away). I'm sure one of you kind tapeoppers would love to sell me a mint Mig60 for $300 though. Right? ...Right? ...Guys? ...Where'd you all go?

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:24 am

Try to find one with the knob labelled "prescience" and you will always know the right note to play. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself....
uh... what??

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:01 pm

Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Hey thanks for the link. I actually ended up getting a different head a few weeks ago. I came across an old Magnatone PA head, which I've since come to find out is very rare. Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to hear it yet as it's been at the repair shop getting checked over and getting some issues resolved with the power cord. Anyhow, if anyone's interested, this is what I ended up with:

http://www.workshedaudio.com/magnatone/index.htm

I ended up picking up a 2x12 cabinet for it off of Craigslist. It appears to be a modified Bandmaster cabinet, with some late '70s Eminence speakers in it, but it's been ported on the bottom and the tolex removed. The wood was stained and it looks super sharp. Can't wait to hear it with the Magnatone.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for your advice. Hopefully this Magnatone will rock the house, and if it doesn't I'm pretty sure I can sell it for quite a bit more than I've put into it and get something else. I'll be sure to report back with the results.

-Bret

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Sweet old amp, post some clips when you get it back,would you?
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 am

Okay, here's the update. Got the Magnatone back from my local vintage amp tech and it was deemed as needing about $300 of work just to be made safe to play. Outside of that, he said the volume and overdrive would not be strong enough to use for a rock amp. Once I got it home and tried it out, I agreed. It had a nice sound, but not what I was looking for.

Lucky for me, a custom amp builder from the bay area had seen a post I'd made somewhere about that thing and contacted me to see if I'd sell it. He collects and archives old Magnatones and once turned an old Magnatone stereo amplifier circuit into a guitar amp for Robert Cray. We worked out a trade where he sent me one of his budget toaster amps he makes for rock musicians in the Bay Area, which is this awesome amalgamation of parts from various old pieces of audio gear. It's a little frankenstien head built into an old Bogen tube PA Chassis, using a transformer from an old Gulbrensen organ and an output tranny from an old Fisher tube stereo. Anyhow, it has two 6L6 power tubes and 2 12AX7 tubes for the preamp and driver circuits. It also has a 5U4 tube rectifier.

I finally got the amp yesterday and I have to say it sounds freaking sweet. I'm playing it through a weird customish 2x12 cabinet I found on Craigslist and really love the whole sound. I'm a little concerned about not being loud enough (see my other post about that), but I just cranked it again and I think it's going to work. It'll also make a great studio amp due to the master volume.

The builder's name is Gary Donovan of Donovan Amplification. He's been great to deal with and if anyone wants to get a hold of him for an amp, let me know and I will give you his e-mail address.

Anyhow. Pics below. Apologies for the blurry photos.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and ideas.

-Bret