rules for independent engineers...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FormulaReed
alignin' 24-trk

rules for independent engineers...

Post by FormulaReed » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:28 am

What do all you studio owners out there have for rules for independent engineers working at your studio? What do you do about keys, contracts, equipment damage ect.

Thanks,

Reed
Owner/Engineer Attercop Sound
www.attercop.net

guido
audio school

Post by guido » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:45 am

Hi- I'm new here.
Good question. I'd like to know too, as I am just opening a second studio that I won't be able to be at all day/night.
So far I am just letting people I know work there. Soon I will expand to students.
I have a second set of keys and as I only live a mile from the studio, I meet them to open the place up, then have them to bring the keys back to my house when they are finished.
I have basic business insurance and their clients are their clients.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:19 pm

My insurance company set up two policies, one for the building/equipment and one for liability.

At one time I did write up a simple "contract" that a band member and/or guest engineer/producer would sign but it fell to the wayside after awhile (I just didn't care to do it any longer)

I don't run my own studio any longer, I've been strictly freelance for a good 6 months now. Years ago and even today when I book time at a studio for my clients a studio will have an intern at hand (around) in case I have any questions, make sure we don't destroy anything, and lets us in and out of the facility.

Now there have been times when I became a trusted 'part of the family' over a period of time (several sessions over the years) and I was privy to keys and alarm codes but generally I ask for an intern/2nd Engineer anyways.

Thankfully I've never been in the position of damaging something during a session or vice versa. If it did happen and it was totally my fault, I'd admit to it and pay my dues.... but not everyone is like that.

If you're ever in doubt, have one of your staff there during a session. Some of the uber studios I've been to require it... and I don't blame them.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:29 pm

I am there to let them in and get them started, or my assistant is their assistant for the session. I always have someone there who knows the room until the engineer has worked there a few times and can run the complete session by himself and I can trust him.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:02 pm

If I don't know the engineer/producer, I will often 2nd at no additional charge for the first couple of sessions. When the engineer & I have developed a good relationship and I trust them implicitly and they have learned my system, I will let them in, get them patched in, and come back at the end of the day to close up shop.