How to "leave the mix up" and change reels in ProT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BradG
pushin' record

How to "leave the mix up" and change reels in ProT

Post by BradG » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:42 pm

I've got six songs all saved in separate sessions but they're basically the same band/instrumentation, and all recorded at the same place and time. First track is mixed and the client loves it.

The only way I can figure to use all my settings again, is to import each track into the new session and then physicallyl drag the audio regions into them. Does anyone have a better way?

This is LE remember. I think TDM versions have this sorted out.

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:47 pm

too late for this now, but the way i work around this is to record all of the songs in one session, then save each mix as a separate session.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 pm

Do you have an import session data? If you do you can just import panning, volume and plugins and plugin setting info. I do not use LE so I do not know if that is available.

Otherwise you will need to do what you origonally described. Although remember just importing settings may not completely mix your song. It is more of a really good starting point.

Mike

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:27 pm

audiogeek1 wrote:Do you have an import session data?
Yeah, that's how I'm getting the first session's "blank" tracks into the second session. I made a regionless copy of the first session, with all the automation deleted and I'm importing from that.

It wouldn't be so bigga deal but there are a few technical issues with the whole project (read: drums; I didn't record it) and I've got up to five plug-ins on some tracks to "bring them back into the fold".

Platinum Samples

Post by Platinum Samples » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:37 pm

The best method is to use "Import Session Data" in the File menu -- this will allow you to only import certain parts of a track from another session into the current session.

This is offered in Pro Tools HD and with the Music Production Toolkit with LE I believe.

Rail
www.platinumsamples.com
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:This is offered in Pro Tools HD and with the Music Production Toolkit with LE I believe.
I'd love confirmation of that from a user, regarding the Toolkit. That might be enough to make me go for it. Already having all the plugs (that don't suck), I'd sorta been biding my time on that upgrade.

It's the neutered version of that feature that I'm using in LE. It just brings in the whole track.

Platinum Samples

Post by Platinum Samples » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Sorry, it's part of the "DV Toolkit 2"

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?lan ... temid=4527

Rail
www.platinumsamples.com
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

bluesbaz
alignin' 24-trk

The fastest way i can thinkof

Post by bluesbaz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Create a region group by highlighting all of your tracks (apple option g). It will look like you just consolidated your regions but thats not the case. Export the region group from the region bin pull down menu. The file you create will show up in in the "region groups" folder within the session folder from which it was created. Open the target session and drag that region group file into your session. It should take 10 min max. if you want to ungroup the files (option apple u)
-s

Rankus
audio school

Post by Rankus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:59 am

In Nuendo we can copy the mixer settings from one project to another. Hopefully this is possible with PT?
Filthy Stinking Rich, Two out of three dosen't cut it ~ Zoidberg

Rick Slater
pluggin' in mics

Post by Rick Slater » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:07 pm

You can save the plug in settings and when you open the plugin in the new session you can open the saved settings from the pull down list. Panning and balance should be redone for each song as is fit for that tune.