Recordings Rhodes Suitcase 73

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

Recordings Rhodes Suitcase 73

Post by AudioJunky » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:47 am

I'm just curious about the different techniques that you guys may use to record a Rhodes Suitcase 73. I just made a track going direct from the external amp out into a Great River Direct Input-- and it sounds really nice.

Audiojunky

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:35 pm

I always liked one C414 on each side in stereo. However, I believe I got my best result from an Audio Technica 4050 on the left and a C414 on the right. Both really close.

One of the more interesting sounding results was two Beta 58's on either side. It just sounds nice.

I've never done it direct, though.

Ian

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:11 pm

its got two outs there so that makes it easy to take on direct and the other to an amp and then you get to mix and match..

willjohnston
audio school graduate

Post by willjohnston » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:45 am

I wouldn't even bother with amps during initial tracking of it. DI it, reamp it if you deem necesary.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:09 pm

willjohnston wrote:I wouldn't even bother with amps during initial tracking of it. DI it, reamp it if you deem necesary.
well thats a matter of taste right..and also the player has to hear it some how..recording direct only may take a toll on the performance as well..like in a room the sound is blooming and the player is reacting to other players and such..

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Post by stubenbaines » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:48 am

I think the Rhodes sounds best when run out through an amp. I was trying to avoid the clean bell like sound of the Rhodes so we wanted the amp to provide some edge. I used a Y cable and split the output to 2 amps. One was dirty and one was cleaner to try to capture all overtones of the instrument. For micing I ended up treating it like a guitar with one close mic and then one room mic on the amps.

http://www.myspace.com/thenewrags
------------------------------------------------
http://www.silentstereorecords.com
http://silentstereorecords.blogspot.com

PeterSawatzky
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by PeterSawatzky » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:03 pm

I have to say, stubenbaines, that the New Rags have the heaviest Rhodes sound I've heard. It's so heavy I just ordered their EP. Well done sir.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:07 pm

thats the same rhodes sound I have been playing with..rhodes with overdriven amp = awesome..

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 am

The possibilities are endles, but FWIW, here's the ways I like to record my rhodes (Suitcase 73):

1 - Preamp outs (stereo, on the side of the cab) --> 2 DI's --> mic pre
This gives a real, mellow, solid sound. It's what you imagine when you think 'rhodes'. I record it in stereo because of the tremelo, but I'd take one side if I wasn't using the trem. This is post eq (on the rhodes) so you can shape the sound a bit. I find that a little treble boost and a bass cut helps my rhodes out.

Helpful tip -- using the pre outs, the speakers are still on and the volume pot affects the level goin to the DI's. So the overall volume in the room may be too much...just plug in a set of cans and it will mute the speakers.

2 - effect out (top jack on the front of the rhodes) --> DI ---> mic pre
This gives you a sound similar to above, but a bit cleaner. You don't get the benefit of the rhodes preamp so you'll need more gain at your pre. I'd go this way when I wanted a sound with a little less edge than option #1...I guess the Rhodes sounds a bit more 'pillowy' this way.

3 - effect out (top jack) --> amp (Twin?) --> mic, etc.
I usually do this on more rock-y songs because you can use the amp for distortion or just some bite. This can also lead to using guitar pedals, phasors, wah, etc.... You can get some 'air' and or 'room' into the sound this way too... Sometimes it fits into a mix better this way. When going direct, the rhodes can really eat up a lot of space...

4 - two mics on the rhodes cab
I use this way less often...it's most similar in sound to #1, but with the added color of mics, pres, air, etc... My rhodes and cab are pretty dark so this option can get murky for me. This way is cool if I crank up the volume and get the crunch from the rhodes amp and speakers. I'd use this for a electric gospel kind of sound, where the rhodes was leading the whole song out front.

5 - *TOP SECRET*
If you take the cover off the rhodes you can see where the pickups connect to the preamp; it's an RCA jack. Unplug the cable and use an RCA F to 1/4" adapter to hook the pickups directly to a DI. This gives a super clean, very tine-y, bell-y sound. It almost sounds like a synth rhodes, but way cooler. Use this when you want the rhodes to sound pretty and delicate...

There ya go,
Josh

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Post by stubenbaines » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:51 am

PeterSawatzky wrote:I have to say, stubenbaines, that the New Rags have the heaviest Rhodes sound I've heard. It's so heavy I just ordered their EP. Well done sir.
Thanks! I had fun recording them. The Rhodes was going through a Music Man tube amp and a Silverface Champ. I used a Blueberry as the room mic and recorded live with drums. I think the Blueberry was pretty good at picking up some edge to the sound.

Dennis
------------------------------------------------
http://www.silentstereorecords.com
http://silentstereorecords.blogspot.com

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:32 pm

Albro Swift wrote:The possibilities are endles, but FWIW, here's the ways I like to record my rhodes (Suitcase 73):

1 - Preamp outs (stereo, on the side of the cab) --> 2 DI's --> mic pre
This gives a real, mellow, solid sound. It's what you imagine when you think 'rhodes'. I record it in stereo because of the tremelo, but I'd take one side if I wasn't using the trem. This is post eq (on the rhodes) so you can shape the sound a bit. I find that a little treble boost and a bass cut helps my rhodes out.

Helpful tip -- using the pre outs, the speakers are still on and the volume pot affects the level goin to the DI's. So the overall volume in the room may be too much...just plug in a set of cans and it will mute the speakers.

2 - effect out (top jack on the front of the rhodes) --> DI ---> mic pre
This gives you a sound similar to above, but a bit cleaner. You don't get the benefit of the rhodes preamp so you'll need more gain at your pre. I'd go this way when I wanted a sound with a little less edge than option #1...I guess the Rhodes sounds a bit more 'pillowy' this way.

3 - effect out (top jack) --> amp (Twin?) --> mic, etc.
I usually do this on more rock-y songs because you can use the amp for distortion or just some bite. This can also lead to using guitar pedals, phasors, wah, etc.... You can get some 'air' and or 'room' into the sound this way too... Sometimes it fits into a mix better this way. When going direct, the rhodes can really eat up a lot of space...

4 - two mics on the rhodes cab
I use this way less often...it's most similar in sound to #1, but with the added color of mics, pres, air, etc... My rhodes and cab are pretty dark so this option can get murky for me. This way is cool if I crank up the volume and get the crunch from the rhodes amp and speakers. I'd use this for a electric gospel kind of sound, where the rhodes was leading the whole song out front.

5 - *TOP SECRET*
If you take the cover off the rhodes you can see where the pickups connect to the preamp; it's an RCA jack. Unplug the cable and use an RCA F to 1/4" adapter to hook the pickups directly to a DI. This gives a super clean, very tine-y, bell-y sound. It almost sounds like a synth rhodes, but way cooler. Use this when you want the rhodes to sound pretty and delicate...

There ya go,
Josh
Extremely comprehensive and helpful. Thank you very much for sharing this info!

Ian

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:48 pm

that "5) top secret" trick is kind of the money bomb..thanks man..