Seriously - is there any difference between bass guitars?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Johnny B
pushin' record

Re: J bass!!

Post by Johnny B » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 pm

virtualguthrie wrote:Check out Ed Roman guitars, best not to buy from you know who.
Yeah, from what I hear, it's not a good idea to buy from Ed Roman...

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Uncanny. I was working on our band's recording and was thinking the exact same thing. I tracked everything except bass guitar (he's out of town), so to fill in a temporary mix, I put in some single bass lines with my Octave Cat. I was thinking "this is just a non-descript, timbre-less noise". With all regards to our bassist, of course.

But I know a Rickenbacker 4001 on a bridge pick-up sounds different than a P-Bass and a bass viola sounds different than a square wave synth. All sounds are differentiated by timbre and waveform, regardless of the register.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:04 pm

how about the guy in Morphine ( I think he died ? ) who played 2 string bass with a slide!!! Those tracks were recorded really well too.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:10 pm

The Real MC wrote: I owned a Gibson RD Artist bass for years. Very solid sound but there were some styles that did not sound right on it - it can't do slap-n-pop.

Then I found a really good MIM Jazz bass - much better for slap-n-pop and a nice bark to the tone...
The Gibson was finally displaced by this Alvarez six string bass that was a nice combination of the solid tone of the Gibson and the bark of the Fender.
The fact that you're playing slap bass and have a 6 string base should disqualify you from this thread

:lol:

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:16 pm

Leo Fender's company created the Telecaster and Stratocaster, but the creation of the Fender Precision bass is probably an equal or bigger contribution. P & J bass tones always seem to fit in, record well with minimal eq or tone-shaping, no matter the musical style.

In addition, even though MIM Fender basses are decent values, there is a difference in tone between them and American made ones. The American ones, of any vintage, have a different "feel" than the MIM ones and are distinctly better tone-wise.

Some misguided musicians think that the bass guitar's sole purpose is to fill in the bottom tone of a chord, and nothing else. Wrong. That's why most guitar players make poor bass players. A bass guitar's tone is as important to a recording as any other instrument. A bass tone that doesn't fit in with the style and sound of a tune can effectively kill it.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:43 pm

AGCurry wrote: If you're playing with a fuzztone, you're not really performing the function of bass.
You could say the same about guitars, why do you feel bass is different?

(I'm a Proco RAT man, myself)
Steve Albini used to like it

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Electricide wrote:
The fact that you're playing slap bass and have a 6 string base should disqualify you from this thread

:lol:
Well if we're going around disqualifying people, I think we should also disqualify those who don't know how to spell the word "bass"
:wink:

Another vote for a Fender bass of either variety, and the Mexican ones are fine; if you're not a serious bass player there's no need to buy the American for twice as much!

Wolfman Sack
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wolfman Sack » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:00 am

Well, I get that there are different kinds of bass playing and different songs they fit into. Tommy Stinson is one of my favorite bass players, and the 'Mats songs wouldn't be what they are without his bass lines (like Alex Chilton, for example).

And then to contrast that - listen to some Superdrag stuff, like off of In The Valley Of Dying Stars. You can't really make out individual bass lines in the mix - there are walls of guitars, and you know there's a low end down there because it's filling out that range, but you can't hum the bass line or anything.

Both ways are fine. My point was just that for what I'm doing (layering myself, recording myself) I won't be doing any McCartney-like featured bass lines or anything. It's more like the Superdrag scenario - I love layering guitar parts and vocal parts, so by the time I'm done, there won't be much room for prominent, melodic bass lines or anything. They won't necessarily all be root notes of the guitar chords, but you won't really notice that they're doing anything other than supporting the song.

I got the Music 123 catalog last night and saw a 60th anniversary P-bass for about $450 and change that looked real nice - that's right in my price range.

I guess I wanted to know if there's a huge difference in one of those and a $1100 American made job.It seems like the first $600 -$1000 you spend on an instrument is the most important, after that, it's all about the finer points and personal preference......if you need the options, the certain woods, the certain hardware - then you pay extra for it.

I'm just afraid that if I buy too expensive of a bass, I'll feel like I have to use it more. Then I might also buy myself a nice tunic or cape and strap the guitar up under my chin and play some lead bass while singing about "the fairies" and stuff. I'd have to grow more facial hair too, I fear.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:09 am

inverseroom wrote:I've got an MIM Deluxe Pbass Special, and I love it.

Dude, they are very, very different from each other. Go out and play a bunch!
These are great since they have a P and a Jazz pickup. You can run just the P for that classic sound then turn them both up for a more modern scooped sound. I've got an older passive one (which I prefer) and I love it.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:33 am

Here's a vote for the G & L L2000. It's extremely versitile, something that was important to since I'm only ever going to have one bass. They're really well made, solid (a bit heavy, but you get used ot it). I know this is almost as heretical as playing 5-6 stringers, but I also like that it has active pick-ups (which can be switched off). I like the active tone now and again--though, to be honest, I've recently been shutting them off more and more.

Also, in the real real cheap category are the SX basses (www.rondomusic.net). These get pretty good props on bass lists (especially after some customization). I'm very close to buying one of the j bass copies.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:33 am

I've got an Ibanez ergodyne. It looks just like the soundgear models. Got it for $500 about 7 years ago. Awsome awsome bass. Wide, huge range of tones possible. American musical supply is closing them out for like $350. check it out.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:47 am

mjau wrote:
AGCurry wrote:
mjau wrote:FWIW, I once played an epiphone sg bass that kicked some serious ass with a fuzz pedal. I think it was pretty cheap, and the reissued Danelectro basses are also cheap but sound pretty cool, in a very non-conventional sense.
If you're playing with a fuzztone, you're not really performing the function of bass.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll remember to let Melvin Gibbs know that if I ever bump into him. Jack Bruce, too. Oh, and I'll dig up John Entwhistle, just so I can tell him, also.
Hey, I'm not criticizing fuzztones or the people that might use them. But the primary function of bass is to provide a rhythmic and tonal foundation for the music. Fuzz takes you into the lead-instrument realm. All of those guys you mention are known as BASS players, not "fuzz bassists." The guy wanted advice on choosing a bass; I'm just saying, "Don't choose an instrument based on what it sounds like through a fuzztone."

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:55 am

Wolfman Sack wrote:I guess I wanted to know if there's a huge difference in one of those and a $1100 American made job.It seems like the first $600 -$1000 you spend on an instrument is the most important, after that, it's all about the finer points and personal preference......if you need the options, the certain woods, the certain hardware - then you pay extra for it.
I think it's that way with any thing that you can buy, but even more so with guitar gear. Some people get tweaky with whether their SRV Strat has the right wear marks, etc. Those people probably don't play that much.

Years ago I went around to every guitar shop in town and played bass guitars until I was very familiar with each one. The one that won out was a $300 Peavey. It took me a long time to decide to buy it because I felt cheated some way. I wanted something cool, like a Telecaster Bass or a Stingray. That was over 20 years ago and I have played a lot of other people's basses and still nothing compares to my Peavey Fury. A guitar is a guitar.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:04 am

I picked up a used Musicman Sterling and it changed the way I play bass 100%.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:33 am

AGCurry wrote:But don't buy an Epiphone. Gibson/Epiphone have made some nice guitars, but they are not noted for great basses.
I'd love to try the Jack Casady someday.

I'm the opposite of OP.. a decent guitar tone can get the point across but the bass tone has to be perfect and appropriate. For me it has a lot less to do with gear (as long as its adequate) than with right hand technique.