Sonar 6 Upgrade

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sjaudio
audio school graduate

Sonar 6 Upgrade

Post by sjaudio » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm currently running Sonar 5 Producer Edition. Has anyone upgraded to 6 yet? Is it worth it? Thoughts?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 pm

Pretty sure its not out.

I'm going to upgrade though, certainly

I have a legit copy of v2 and a pirated copy of v4, and I found that v5 wasn't really the improvement I was hoping for... version 6 is, from everything I read, in terms of workflow/editing especially. That is really whats kept me with cakewalk the whole while - that I know the interface like nobody's business - and they've really improved it a shitload over the last couple versions. For $250 I can't see how it wouldn't be worth it just for their new beat-detective type thing. I can see that coming in SO handy for high school wank bands that don't have the chops to pull it off. Or for whatever. Seems they've improved the track layers-editing idea too. Which I love.

-Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:55 pm

Cool to see some other Sonar users here. I've been loyal to 3.1 since it's been out, but I think I'll probably finally make the leap to the newest version, too. I'm like you dynomike - I just intuitively know how to work w/ Sonar, which is why I've stuck with it.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:53 am

Me too. Sometimes I wonder if some other program would be more stable, but I've used Cake's stuff back to Pro Audio 8 and I don't have to think -- such an easy setup to fly with . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 am

Yeah.. Nuendo is much more stable / cpu efficient.

But I can't stand working with it!

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:17 am

Sonar 6 is out now, according to thieir website.

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:49 am

I just received and installed my Sonar 6 PE upgrade, been a happy 3.1.1 user for a few years. I upgraded to 5 a few months ago and haven't even messed with it much, due to where my workflow has been concentrated since then. I'm digging into it today, got some tracks to load and mix. Besides the Audio Snap (Beat Detective) feature, there's a vocal tuning plugin that's made by Roland which is supposed to be pretty nice, and a stereo vintage channel with EQ, compression and a few more features by Kjaerhus that's getting very favorable feedback from the early users. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

sethmeister
pluggin' in mics

Post by sethmeister » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:27 am

I just installed my upgrade to Sonar 6 the other night. Haven't had time to wring it out yet but it looks very good so far.

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:03 am

percussion boy wrote:Me too. Sometimes I wonder if some other program would be more stable, but I've used Cake's stuff back to Pro Audio 8 and I don't have to think -- such an easy setup to fly with . . .
Well... you know, I never had any stability issues (I mean almost none over a long, long period) in the days before I used a bunch of plugs -- and now soft synths. Not that I have many problems now -- but when you go from just about never to every once in a while -- that's noticeable.

Someone suggested Nuendo was more stable -- and I'm wondering if that was a general observation about Nuendo or about it on one platform or the other.

Certainly, since Nuendo only does AISO/VST/VSTi (is that not correct?), their proprietary but widely used formats, I'm thinking only dealing with one set of standards may naturally contribute to stability.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:29 am

I'm running Sonar 5 PE, and really interested in the new features in the upgrade, but I've seen a good bit of talk about bugs and stuff on the cakewalk boards...
I'd love for those of you who've made the switch to keep us updated!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:01 pm

theblue1 wrote:Well... you know, I never had any stability issues (I mean almost none over a long, long period) in the days before I used a bunch of plugs -- and now soft synths. Not that I have many problems now -- but when you go from just about never to every once in a while -- that's noticeable.
Yeah, that's a valid point. Personally, I had some Cake problems before I got into the plug-in thing, but the main issue now is Halion; contrary to what Cakewalk tech support told me, those two programs don't always play nice.

Tried Steinberg's stuff (which would work with their own sampler and VST protocol, you'd think) but the interface was just too new for my lazy ass.

Still, I'd be curious if anyone makes a living using Sonar, under deadline pressure . . . that would be a separate thread.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:29 pm

I'm still on SONAR version 1.0.something, maybe it's time I get with the program. Now I'll probably need a new CPU, real microphones, etc etc etc.