Recommend a Boom Stand

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hackneyed
pluggin' in mics

Recommend a Boom Stand

Post by Hackneyed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:50 pm

For a heavy mic that won't empty my wallet. Thanks.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:13 pm

do you need a long reaching one? if so I might be able to hook you up with some inexpensive On Stage brand booms. I just upgraded to a pair of Atlas stands for my overheads and probably will be getting rid of these cheap when my new stands come in... pm me if your interested.

Jerry_Pbury
audio school graduate

Go here

Post by Jerry_Pbury » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:19 am

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:25 am

That wont empty your wallet...

That is relative. I LOVE the latch lake stand we have here. I have used it on every single session since we got it. The people are great, and it would last you a lifetime. I would rather buy one of those than have 10 different cheap stands fail on me over the years... And potentially drop a really expesive mic in the process.
I trust that the latch lake will keep my U47 off the floor!

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:07 am

If you're looking for the middle ground the Tama stands beat the crap out of the OnStages and the like. They are really beefy, well made, and cost about 50 bucks from Musicians Friend.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:28 am

one of the best cheaper stands I have used is the AKG booms..

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by orbb » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:49 am

joel hamilton wrote:That wont empty your wallet...

That is relative. I LOVE the latch lake stand we have here. I have used it on every single session since we got it. The people are great, and it would last you a lifetime. I would rather buy one of those than have 10 different cheap stands fail on me over the years... And potentially drop a really expesive mic in the process.
I trust that the latch lake will keep my U47 off the floor!
WOW!! - That's an expensive stand - $750??

I agree it's worth it for a U47 but probably not for my collection of Rode and Studio Project mics (which all tolled probably don't add up to the cost of the stand).

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:25 pm

I second the Tama stands, for the cash they are by far the best I have ever used.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:08 pm

I wouldn't go for that on-stage stand linked above because the bass is too small with all the weight centered on it and casters that are far too small. As soon as you place a some what heavy microphone or array out on the end of the boom and try to roll the base into position, you'll see why that design ain't so hot.
That's one of the points that Latchlake makes about their stand base - the weight is distributed around the edge of the stand so it has the most leverage to keep the pole upright.

But for a cheaper option, I like the QuikLok A-50 boom stand. It has its flaws, mostly in the single knob with the nylon tip that holds the boom arm in place at the top of the base - but that was only an issue for me when I tried to use one as a concert-height 14' stand, with heavy mic arrays, too often. Otherwise, they've been great for me, and they aren't too pricey, and the wheelbase is so wide that the stand is wonderfully stable.

-Jeremy

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

FYI: new kick a** stand from Latch Lake

Post by Jeff Roberts » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:22 am

Latch Lake will introduce a new more affordable stand at AES this October.

The stand will be true to the legacy of the micKing, but should be more affordable for project studio people.

The new stand will use the same "world's strongest boom clutch" as the micKing.

The new stand uses the same Latch Lake Lever Locks as the micKing for quick and sturdy adjustments. And I can do chin-ups on the boom just like the micKing.

The base will weigh 28 pounds, one pound lighter than the micKing.

The counterweight will weigh 7 pounds, same as micKing. Also removable and adjustable like micKing.

The main differences? Micking has 16" diameter base, new stand is 14" diameter. Micking has three section boom and mast, new stand has two section boom and mast. New stand still goes taller than Atlas.

MSRP will be $450. Street prices should give serious pause to anyone considering Atlas. Our primary cost savings are the smaller base diameter and the counterweight finish. Most of the parts are made in our factory. Assembled in Minnesota by U.S. citizens.

Anyone that values their time and microphone collection should check out our new stand.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Re: FYI: new kick a** stand from Latch Lake

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 pm

Jeff Roberts wrote:Latch Lake will introduce a new more affordable stand at AES this October.

The stand will be true to the legacy of the micKing, but should be more affordable for project studio people.

The new stand will use the same "world's strongest boom clutch" as the micKing.

The new stand uses the same Latch Lake Lever Locks as the micKing for quick and sturdy adjustments. And I can do chin-ups on the boom just like the micKing.

The base will weigh 28 pounds, one pound lighter than the micKing.

The counterweight will weigh 7 pounds, same as micKing. Also removable and adjustable like micKing.

The main differences? Micking has 16" diameter base, new stand is 14" diameter. Micking has three section boom and mast, new stand has two section boom and mast. New stand still goes taller than Atlas.

MSRP will be $450. Street prices should give serious pause to anyone considering Atlas. Our primary cost savings are the smaller base diameter and the counterweight finish. Most of the parts are made in our factory. Assembled in Minnesota by U.S. citizens.

Anyone that values their time and microphone collection should check out our new stand.
sweet!

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:44 am

I'm surprised I haven't seen a recommendation for atlas stands yet... They're not terribly expensive and they're damn sturdy. I have one boom from the 70's that still works and looks great. Also I just noticed Musicians Friend started carrying Atlas products...

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

Post by Jeff Roberts » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:39 am

vsr600:

I think if you compare your 70's Atlas stand to their current products you will be very disappointed.

Your stand was made in the USA.

Now they are all imports and the quality is nowhere near comparable.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com