Songs you love that are just plain embarassing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

steve singh
audio school graduate

Songs you love that are just plain embarassing

Post by steve singh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:07 pm

You know when you love a song that is so embarassing and goes against everything you stand for but you can't help it?
I'll go first: Britanny Spears-Toxic

steve singh
audio school graduate

c'mon

Post by steve singh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:25 pm

c'mon, we all have one (or two).

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm not really that embarrassed about much of anything that I like, but there is always a little twinge of shame when I find myself rocking out to anything by Journey when it comes on the radio in the car.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:52 pm

I was trying to think of one, but it all seems relative.

I could be embarassed by liking Boston's "More than a Feeling", just because some of my closest friends and I, when we were kids, hated that kind-of corporate FM radio sound. And, it still seems like something worth disliking most of the time. But, it doesn't seem all that embarassing to enjoy it on occasion.

I think ABBA in general, and "Dancing Queen" specifically, used to be pretty embarassing to admit one liked in any way. But, "Dancing Queen" is fascinating or something--there's some irresistable alien mind-control appeal there.

I can see the Brittany Spears thing: I hate marketing / advertising driven commerical pop, but sometimes there is decent song / performance still alive underneath the crap.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:59 pm

This is really easy, Depeche Mode's 'A Question of Time'. The lyric, like several other songs in pop-dom, is addressing a 15-year-old miss.

I jam over it. Sometimes I sing it, and I always change the lyric to:

"Well now youre only nineteen
And you look good
Ill take you under my wing
Somebody should"

But I still get embarrassed. :oops:

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Freedom by George freaking Michael...I LOOOVVVVVEEEEE the whole album in fact...

Oh my god, I cant believe I just wrote that....

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:03 pm

I remember hearing 'Life On A Chain' by Pete Yorn. It stuck out to me. I bought the album, and thought it was really good, in a Lemonheads/Liz Phair kind of way. Then I started reading how universally reviled the guy was, and it made me kind of question my tastes. But now I think he'd get more of a break if his brother wasn't in the music business (presumably he helped give the album a push.) Sure it's hip to like Autechre, Plone, or Pitchfork's flavor of the month. But a catchy song will always have more value to me than a particular stance or obscure style with no freakin' part you can whistle. While I'm here - what's the best current example of a Police-like band? Three guys with great songs and a minimalistic sound?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 pm

I agree with mjau--Journey for sure.

"Livin' La Vida Loca" comes to mind I love the baritone guitar.

In the right mood Christina Agularia or Justin Timberlake for pop music can be good. Though I hate "Sexy Back" JT, I'm so disappointed!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:54 pm

I have to cite a Depeche Mode song also, "Personal Jesus."
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:25 pm

there's a few Linkin Park tunes that i like in privacy. haha. my better half laughs everytime they come on the radio, so i have to turn it.

:oops:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I can understand how people might be embarassed about liking something..I just don't think they should though..

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:32 pm

anything by Bread
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:57 pm

"Toxic" is really pretty cool - there's a remix that Jeff Lipton and I used as a reference for low end when he mastered my 2CD anthology a couple years ago that simply rules.

I guess that the song I'd have to nominate isn't really one that I'm embarrased that I like, but that pretty much anyone I've ever met simply doesn't understand why I like it. It's "Shiny Shiny" by Hayzee Fantayzee. Classic new wave fluff, IMO.

Embarrased by "Personal Jesus" or "A Question Of Time"? (or anything Depeche Mode?) That's hardly something to be embarrased about... heck, anything listed here so far has its merits, methinks!

Basically I agree with the notion that no one should be embarrased by their tastes - it seems a shame to deny oneself pleasure from any music simply because of a worry of percption by others. At least anyone who's made it past the difficulty of "fitting in" in adolecence. And I don't mean that to be condescending in any way... :)

But don't let that thought stop this list from growing - it's fun to read about others "guilty pleasure" songs!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Jack and Diane

John Mellonhead. Awesome.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:52 pm

"Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves

<Ducks>
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."