Songs you love that are just plain embarassing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:I have a cassette of Bryan Adams' "Reckless" in my car right now. There, I said it.
I had a girlfriend in high school and the only music we could agree on in the car was a cassette of "Reckless." I love the strat with chorus on the "Run to You" break. Mickey Curry is a great drummer too.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm

drumsound wrote:
Jon Nolan wrote:I have a cassette of Bryan Adams' "Reckless" in my car right now. There, I said it.
I had a girlfriend in high school and the only music we could agree on in the car was a cassette of "Reckless." I love the strat with chorus on the "Run to You" break. Mickey Curry is a great drummer too.
yep! same thing on that 'arena rock' moment in "it's only love' - another strat spotlight moment.

that was some good stuff for a young wannabe rocker like me in high school. it's my 'cheese' and i proudly wear the badge. all my musician friends laugh. it's pretty funny.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
I like the idea of being 'cleared by nostalgia' though... perhaps my early-life love for Utopia in all forms and thus current selective affection for them (they could do no wrong in my eyes when I was young) can be forgiven by this clause? :)
Martin Gore seems to have always had a streak of knowing that this life stops well before Utopia, despite our transcendental and/or escapist sojourns. (depending how you judge)

I'll still maintain that there's a big difference between 'appreciating' and 're-enacting' (singing).

Sometimes when I'm feeling the noose I can sing a dM song called Told You So. But when I'm feeling idealistlly hopefully, I choke on the words. I just can't sing them.

This part:

"Everybody's waiting for judge-ment day.
So they can go, 'told you so'."

The rawness -- too real, bleak, cynical an (assessment of human nature), whether or not those he's mocking are right.

It's much easier to appreciate, like A Question of Time.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:49 pm

I enjoy a good early 90s gangsta rap album every once in awhile. Dre's "The Chronic," early Snoop Dogg/NWA/Ice Cube, etc... yeah yeah

frozenfoodaisle
pluggin' in mics

Post by frozenfoodaisle » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:31 am

I have rediscovered "Linger" by Cranberries.
Beautiful!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:05 pm

sonichue wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:
I like the idea of being 'cleared by nostalgia' though... perhaps my early-life love for Utopia in all forms and thus current selective affection for them (they could do no wrong in my eyes when I was young) can be forgiven by this clause? :)
Martin Gore seems to have always had a streak of knowing that this life stops well before Utopia, despite our transcendental and/or escapist sojourns. (depending how you judge)

I'll still maintain that there's a big difference between 'appreciating' and 're-enacting' (singing).

Sometimes when I'm feeling the noose I can sing a dM song called Told You So. But when I'm feeling idealistlly hopefully, I choke on the words. I just can't sing them.

This part:

"Everybody's waiting for judge-ment day.
So they can go, 'told you so'."

The rawness -- too real, bleak, cynical an (assessment of human nature), whether or not those he's mocking are right.

It's much easier to appreciate, like A Question of Time.
I meant Todd Rundgren's pop group, but I see what you are getting at too. And I reallly dig "Told You So" although I bring a different meaning to it personally...
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Post by modernkicks » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Someone mentioned Our Lips Are Sealed, and I have got to point out that there is NOTHING wrong with the Go-Go's...total rocked out bubblegum punk/powerpop...doesn't get much better!

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Johnny Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd (Ronnie's youngest brother) went to a Cher concert with his wife. When it came time for encores, Johnny started yelling "FREEBIRD!" and his wife covered her head "I don't know that guy". The Van Zants have a twisted sense of humor :twisted:

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
David Bowie - the Laughing Gnome

audionaut
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by audionaut » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Whitesnake's "Slide it in"
I'm trying to visualize the vocal session and (1)everybody keeping a straight face and/or (2) high fiving each other after last "... right to the top, babaaaahy."

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:43 am

That Jessica Simpson single where they're rollerblading all over the goddam place. I find myself strangely unable to switch the channel everytime it comes on. Help me.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:43 am

"Seasons in the Sun" - Terry Jacks

"One Tin Soldier" - Coven

"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace

"Hitchin' a Ride" - Bobby Sherman

"Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" - Cher

"Daughter of Darkness" - Tom Jones

"In the Year 2525" - Zager and Evans

"Just Dropped In (Condition)" - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition

All of the above were big on AM radio in Chicago when I was considering growing up; I still crank them when listening to the oldies station.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:47 am

Styx. Renegade. Ouch.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:52 am

i like loads of stuff that's been totally weighed down by decades of accumulated cultural baggage....fly like an eagle...stairway to heaven...sweet home alabama...you know the drill.

the other night i was cranking bob segar's 'fire down below'...the vocal sound is amazing...so overdriven. i found it quite entertaining. my roommate walked by and gave me the Dubious Eyebrow. hahahaha

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:24 pm

these are mostly fun oldies guys - c'mon - give me some real shame!!

i'll start:

1. shania twain anybody? i'm gonna getcha good? that chorus is pure abba .. ahh the glorious slick sick gloss of mutt lange... up up up ...

2. sade - lovers rock - this album is so good! the songs are soulful and soothing.

3. human nature - michael jackson - again probably not as shameful as 1 or 2... a classic.

ok dudes - MORE SHAME!
the new rules : there are no rules