are you there, digidesign? it's me....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

effector
takin' a dinner break

are you there, digidesign? it's me....

Post by effector » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 pm

here is what i want: a pci card with 8 to 16 channels of adat i/o, wordclock i/o, and maybe a monitor output, that can run protools m-powered. is that unreasonable? i don't think so. if you could make it, like, $300 or less, i would SO buy the shit out of it. what do you think?? :P

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:54 pm

This might be as close as you get...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/P ... -main.html

I plan on buying one to replace my 001 eventualy... as long as the rumours of Digi pulling the M-Powered compatability arent true...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:57 pm

DEAR USER 338US67R13B:

YOUR REQUEST IS BEING PROCESSED, IN ACCORDANCE WITH DIGIDESIGN POLICY 13.B SEC. 4 PAR. 9. YOUR REQUEST HAS BEEN ASSIGNED THE FOLLOWING NUMBER:

235354-2334646-5578-363683762-26498-37598-48759

PLEASE MEMORIZE THIS NUMBER, THEN DELETE THIS MESSAGE. YOU WILL NEED TO FAX YOUR STORE RECEIPT FROM YOUR PURCHASE OF PRO TOOLS TO THE FOLLOWING NUMBER:

1-915-338-9024

WE RECOMMEND CALLING BETWEEN 3 AND 5 AM EST, THE HOURS OF LEAST CALL VOLUME. IF YOU HAVE LOST YOUR RECEIPT, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FIVE-PAGE FORM AT

WWW.DIGIDESIGN.COM/FORMS/E77D/GLSINNFOO ... /D87S.HTML

THEN PRINT OUT AND MAIL TO:

DIGIDESIGN, INC.
PO BOX 39940
HONOLULU, HI 92283-9940

THANK YOU. DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE.

DIGIDESIGN, INC.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:38 pm

Hold on jess one hog-tied minute.

Are you sure my number is 235354-2334646-5578-363683762-26498-37598-48759?

I am pretty sure it ought to be 235354-2334646-5578-362683762-26498-37598-48759

Over.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:33 pm

YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO ENTER THE FOLLOWING AUTHORIZATION CODE:

DIG IDESI GN DOE SNOT CAR EABOU TYOU
my band: Mission 5

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Dear Mercedes-Benz:

What I really, really want for Christmas is a 350 SL that gets 75 mpg and seats sixteen and has surround-sound seatback DVD players. And I only want to pay $1200 for it. Is that something you can do? 'Cause if it's not I'm gonna tell all my friends you don't care about the consumer.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:37 am

well, digi would have to be making products on the quality and performance level of Mercedes first for that analogy to be accurate... A PCI card that handles 16 channel of ADAT and has word clock is pretty easy I would think... RME has a bunch of cards like that, and they aren't too expensive. The monitor outs would up the price, and would be dumb, in a PCI card... can't really get good analog I/O in a card...

but yeah, I would totally consider purchasing from Digi/Avid if they had a simple interface like that that let you choose what you wanted to use for conversion.. like a 2006 version of the AudioMediaIII card... I rocked that thing hard as a 4 track (2 analog and 2 s/pdif with a portaDAT) for a few years.

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 am

I think the analogy is pretty great, considering it refers to the conceptual aspects of wanting to get a ton of processing for relatively no money. That is a valid sentiment, but to then say that Digi doesnt "care about you" is pretty hardcore based on an unreasonable request. I didnt "WANT" to pay what I paid for an HD3 rig when they first came out. nobody "WANTS" to spend that kind of money on a couple of plastic boxes and a couple of plastic cards! Of course, I could have gotten TWO U47's for what the HD rig costs.... BUT....

It is an HD rig, that does everything I need to have a professional recording environment, that interfaces easily with other professional recording studios.

Keep in mind, I am no big fan of what digidesign has become, but what hasnt? and did digidesign get huge builing crap that nobody uses? of course not. Whas it simply advertising? hell no, as there are plenty of dumb ideas year in and year out that have very large ad budgets built into their startup plan... ADAT? nobody really has them any more... DAT? nope... but protools is chugging along nicely, and has done nothing but grow since soundtools came out and we all freaked! "its like a DAT you can edit!!!" It only took like 6 hours to PROCESS a gain change! WOW! That IS progress! ;)

In all things, INCLUDING audio, you get what you pay for. It is not a fun pill to swallow...

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:23 am

Not to mention that offering something that cheap would surpass the digi002 and mbox in quality (assuming you have good Apogee or equivalent converters running into the ADAT in) and put next to NO money in their pockets. I think they've been pretty good with compatibility by having ADAT ins on their products, allowing Apogee hardware interface with their HD rigs, etc.

What WOULD be nice (and conceivable) would be 2 or more ADAT ins on their next LE device (DIGI003?). OR if they put a little more into the MBOX2 pro. I have a feeling they'll offer more in future digi products, but I don't see them offering an m-powered solution that will do what you're looking for.
HWJLHC?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:46 am

Thanks for the backup, Joel. That's exactly what I meant. I see that request all the time around here: give me all the features of your top-of-the-line rig at a bargain basement price. :roll:

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks for the backup, Joel. That's exactly what I meant. I see that request all the time around here: give me all the features of your top-of-the-line rig at a bargain basement price. Rolling Eyes
I double agree with ya. This kind of thinking is the sad underbelly of punk rock, diy, tape op, and dare I say- modern America. Everybody wants everything for nothing. When they don't get it, they whine foul loudly. My band was on tour with friends on the east coast. Some kids screamed at them for "selling out". Why? Because they were playing an $8 vet's hall show. They eventually took it upon themselves to slash the tires of said band's van. Absurd. Similarly, there was that guys around here a week ago or so who was bashing tape op because he got bad service from Demeter. WTF? As my step father likes to say, "no good deed goes unpunished".
Yikes, I can't believe I'm defending digidesign. I fucking hate digidesign. :evil:

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:19 pm

The Spark wrote:This might be as close as you get...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/P ... -main.html

I plan on buying one to replace my 001 eventualy... as long as the rumours of Digi pulling the M-Powered compatability arent true...
I think Spark's post pretty much answers the original question. Didn't really detect any whining in the original post, either...
Last edited by scott anthony on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Choose another platform, get exactly what you want, use great affordable interfaces. I am transitioning to DP 4.5 from P-tools. It was liberating to sell the mbox and start using the 828 full time. I realize this isnt realistic if you're working commercially but for the home recordist, there is minimal reason to use PT anymore.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 pm

i disagree with the idea that what i want is stupid or selfish. unrealistic, yes, but my motivation is pure. i paid $300 for an rme card that does pretty much everything i want except run protools - if i could run m-powered on it, that would be super! but of course i can't, and digidesign will never offer such a thing, because they make more money selling converters. which is why i use logic. oh well, so much for daydreaming. :roll:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:06 pm

you have my apologies if my post offended you. I was reacting more in general to the large number of posts I see on TOMB about "why doesn't digi whatever whatever" than about your request specifically. And I didn't mean to imply I found your request stupid or selfish.