SM58 as an instrument mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

SM58 as an instrument mic?

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

I have 2 Shure SM58s in great shape in my studio that I don't use very much except for an occaisional scratch vocal. I was wondering what, if any, instruments/other sounds any of you guys are using or have found a 58 useful for. I seem to remember using one on a floor tom long ago and don't remember how much I liked or disliked the sound. That was back in my 4 track days as a teenager and only had 58s, some old AKG dynamics, whatever I could dig up to record a demo with. Now I got to thinking about what I could use my two old 58s for other than when I need a live vocal mic at a gig.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:54 pm

If it's what you have, use it. It's not great but it's unlikely to suck.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:10 pm

I don't mean that's all I have. I have many mics...that's why I never reach for my 58s in the studio. I was just seeing if there were people who have lots of options using 58s for anything instrument-wise sometimes.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:13 pm

getreel wrote:I don't mean that's all I have. I have many mics...that's why I never reach for my 58s in the studio. I was just seeing if there were people who have lots of options using 58s for anything instrument-wise sometimes.
Well, Steve Albini reaches for one frequently... when he needs to pound a nail into a board, for example.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:38 pm

I've used them on guitar cabinets when I had to and been ok with the results -not stoked but ok. If you have other mics, I say sell 'em and put the money towards something you have had your eye on. You don't need to hang on to it just to have a scratch vocal mic - pick up one of those super cheap AT things they sell at guitar center for 20 bucks and that'll do.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:16 pm

I like them on guitar cabs and toms
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:43 am

well, people use 57s on EVERYTHING.
58s (not beta) are the same capsules as 57s

i've used 57/58s on snare, toms, guitar cabs, room mics, vocals

not my first choice usually, but never my last.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 am

I like my 57s on guitar cabs and toms so I guess the 58s could substitute. I think the reason I don't use them on drums is the big ball end is bigger than a 57 and harder to position. I think I may sell at least one of them of not both and get a Beyer 201. Been wanting one for awhile.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 am

I've recorded a shitload with 58's. Sometimes it sounds pretty good! It's like anything though I guess, and of course it's relative to the mic's limitations.

I know I used an XY pattern orf 58's on a piano and I'm 99% sure i used them in another XY as overheads on a song of mine called "Mary (won't you come along?" fwiw, it's here: http://www.myspace.com/jonnolan

i liked em on my upright in particular. i mean, that's what my piano sounds like, so i was happy. it was all i had at the time to choose from at the time, so...

jon

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 am

I mic'd a snare drum shell with a 58 just yesterday, sounded awesome.
beware bee wear

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:02 pm

I once hung one over my Fender Bassman amp for a scratch bass track. I was super surprised how "thick and guey" it sounded.
I have some really horrible gear!!!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Given that 58s are so close to 57s, it's cool to unscrew the ball windscreen thingy for micing up guitar amps and other instrument duties. I only have 1 57, so my 58s see a lot of action on instruments!

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Dr. Dog told me they recorded the drums on Easy Beat with a Sm58 and a RodeNTK, but they could have been thinking of a 57

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 am

I've used them on toms and occasionallly on the beater side of a kick drum... I remember (not so far) back when this was all I used on vocal tracks as well...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:43 am

I have one that I use all of the time on guitar amp combos and cabs, both on and off axis (like when you hang it from the handle for a live gig; it can sound good!) and always like how it sounds slightly lo-fi, and fits well in a rock mix.

I also find it works well for tambo, cowbell, etc.

Sometimes, when I just have to scream (think punk-rock, not emo), the 58 is the perfect choice, and again when I want a kind of lo-fi but intimate Nick Cave/Mark Sandman-type vocal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.