AEA R92 -vs- R84?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

AEA R92 -vs- R84?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:27 am

i'm currently exploring some ribbon mic options and am wondering if anyone could offer any experience related info./comparisons between these the R92 and R84 models. i'm looking for a ribbon that would work well on both acoustic and electric guitars, as well as female vocals and OH/Room mic.

i've been reading the info. on the wes dooley website, but would like to hear from some of you who have experience.

also, how would you compare either of these to the Beyer m160? this has been at the top of my list, but since i started researching the AEA's, i'm not sure now.

thanks.

-R.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

pumadrum
gettin' sounds

Post by pumadrum » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:19 pm

aixrecords.com

every tune on here with vocals is done with either one or the other. mark waldrep is my recording professor, he owns the label. pick up the sampler disc and hear the difference in 5.1 dvd quality sound.

woot
Curtis Franklin
Feel free to ignore me and use your ears.
curtisfranklin@earthsedgestudio.com

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:36 pm

I don't have the R92, but I have two R84s and an R44CNE. I have thought about getting an R92 but don't see that it would give me anything that the 84 couldn't cover. The 92 is designed more for close miking, with less proximity effect - that's about it.

The R84 is a great mic, which I have used for vocals, horns, woodwinds, and acoustic guitars. I wouldn't use it as drum overheads, simply because the orientation in that application would make the ribbons horizontal - changing their frequency response and, over time, stretching the ribbon.

I also have an M160, and it's a very good mic. I wouldn't go to it for vocals, but I would use it for drum overheads. And it's really nice on amp speakers.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 pm

I had both in the studio for quite some time, along side of some classic ribbbons that I already had.

The R84 was much more fun overall, in my opinion. Just an opinion.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:47 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I had both in the studio for quite some time, along side of some classic ribbbons that I already had.

More fun in what way Joel?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:32 pm

drumsound wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I had both in the studio for quite some time, along side of some classic ribbbons that I already had.

More fun in what way Joel?
The R84 just seems to do the "ribbon" thing much more than the R92.

The R84 has a certain "present without bright" and "transient detail without too much top" that makes it feel like a classic. The R92 just kind of sounds crunchy crispy and sort of 2D to me relative to the R84.

Everything I recorded with the R84 seemed to be flattered by the mic's slightly "wooden" or "boxy-in the low-mids-but-perfectly" kind of way.

It is just more fun to hear sources through the R84. The R92 just feels like a polaroid, as compared to the R84 being a big old large format camera that makes any old face into art...

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 pm

get a NADY Ribbon and save some $$$, they sound pretty good to me. RMS2 is great and have that same old ribbon sound. R121 for the better modern sound, the AEA mics I tried sounded wooly to me...but it could've been just those particular mics.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:08 pm

AGCurry wrote:
The R84 is a great mic, which I have used for vocals, horns, woodwinds, and acoustic guitars. I wouldn't use it as drum overheads, simply because the orientation in that application would make the ribbons horizontal - changing their frequency response and, over time, stretching the ribbon.
I've used it for drum overheads. Sounds great to me. I use it over the rack tom area with a Coles 4038 over the floor tom area. Toms and cymbals (and everything really) sound much more natural to me with ribbons.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut