Audio Technica 4047SV

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Devlarz
alignin' 24-trk

Audio Technica 4047SV

Post by Devlarz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:06 am

I recently acquired a barely used Audio Technica 4047SV (complete with shockmount and tweed case) from Banjo World and I have given it a quick run through on drums though not an exhaustive workout to test all it's strengths. After the session, I really think it could be my new go to for an overhead mic.

Any other AT4047SV owners/users out there care to share their uses?
Well, the difference is that you strut and I stroll.

Petras

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Audio Technica 4047SV

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 am

Devlarz wrote:I recently acquired a barely used Audio Technica 4047SV (complete with shockmount and tweed case) from Banjo World and I have given it a quick run through on drums though not an exhaustive workout to test all it's strengths. After the session, I really think it could be my new go to for an overhead mic.

Any other AT4047SV owners/users out there care to share their uses?
totally. exactly what i did the minute i got my 4047. It works really well as a in front of kit mic, about chest high looking down at the kit about 4 feet out. I also use it in the kick tunnel all the time. I use it as a mono overhead for a garage rock band that records with me often. Mono overhead, re20 on the kik and 57 on the snare. combined with the tomb ribbon in the room picking up the kit as well as a screaming fender twin.

I've had a few voices that the mic really didn't agree with.

teamed up with the tomb ribbon i got some killer fiddle tracks.

fun mic.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:51 pm

My secret weapon for just about everything.

Kick Drum
Acoustic Guitars
Fender Twin "mellowing"
Some Vocals (though not all)
Mono Overhead
Percussion

I love it.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Toms, outside BD, OH (kinda...) gtr cab bass cab, vox, sax-o-mo-phone. A great mic.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:03 pm

I have a pair that I absolutely love. I have gotten some amazing vocals through them and they make amazing drum room mics and sometimes OH.

I haven't tried them on Acoustic Guitar yet, I will have to give that a try.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 am

The only problem with this mic that I've noticed is that on some sources it can sound all bass and mandolin with no guitar. The treble almost seems to sit on top of the bass. I didn't notice this until I started to really compare it to other mics.

Definitely a great front of kick mic.

The 4033 also really blew me away recently when both I and my friend preferred it on our vocals, in comparison to 4047, c3000b, ADK TL, and a Microtech Gefell UM92.1S. It just sounded really great on soft smooth vocals.

octobre
audio school graduate

Post by octobre » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 pm

i've used my 4047 for a lot of different things. as an overhead, as a vocal mic, as a violin and acoustic guitar mic.

i, too, have noticed several intstruments and voices that it really doesn't do so well with (anyone who is the least bit nasal and can't really sing their vowels particularly open).

it's performed pretty well on acoustic guitars (particularly the collings) with the low rolloff at distances of 6-12".

i got mine for $375 on a pretty decent sale. i am shocked to see that msrp on this mic is $745 now - when did all of AT's mics jump up in price?
http://plusnine.buhananrecords.com
bu_hanan records - chapel hill, nc

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 pm

octobre wrote:i've used my 4047 for a lot of different things. as an overhead, as a vocal mic, as a violin and acoustic guitar mic.

i, too, have noticed several intstruments and voices that it really doesn't do so well with (anyone who is the least bit nasal and can't really sing their vowels particularly open).

it's performed pretty well on acoustic guitars (particularly the collings) with the low rolloff at distances of 6-12".

i got mine for $375 on a pretty decent sale. i am shocked to see that msrp on this mic is $745 now - when did all of AT's mics jump up in price?
yeah totally on the voice thing. I got my used for $300 like 2 years ago, definitely a deal.

on the fiddle track i found myself dipping out a little around the 400 freqs..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 pm

BTW the tweed caase is from the first run only.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:07 pm

It's my favorite mic for electric bass cabs. Especially for 15" speakers.
For the singer I'm recording at the moment I liked it better than a Gefell UM 92S when comparing both mics through a Focusrite 428. The high mids of the Gefell seemed to be articulated a bit too much for this voice and the 4047 smoothed them out quite nicely. Through a Neumann pre-amp the Gefell sounded better but not much.
Since the 4047 is transformer balanced it seems to be influenced a lot by the pre-amp you're using. The Gefell mic sounded very different through the Neumann pre-amp as well by the way.